Breeds FOR beginners.

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
I don't think there is such thing as a perfect dog for a beginner...............All dogs need some sort of excercise, stimulation, training, etc. If the person interested in a particular breed is willing to do ALOT of research and knows what they are getting into then any dog is the perfect dog! Look at me.....I never raised my GSD's but I grew up with them. My grandad did all the work or my mum but I was a kid and alls I cared about was my friends. Now that I am grown and have my own place I could get my OWN dog and did a ton of research on the ACD's. I knew I wanted an active breed who could keep up with me and my lifestyle waited a year for my boy so I had plenty of time to read books and learn all that I could. Caiza turned out to be the "perfect breed" for me and my family :)

How about a Pal? That would be the prefect dog for people who don't want to research. Heck there are moments when I would like a dog like that.

I would have to say an older shelter dog, or maybe a basset hound from what I know about them. If your active and have more time a lab or a Golden.

I don't think there is a perfect first time dog though.

Miakoda

Inspired by Maxy's thread, what breed would you conside best for beginners?

I'd have to put Goldens and Labs up there because they seem so laid back, but they're not the sort of dog for me.

One of the other breeds I'd put right up there would be staffy's
I wouldn't say labs at all. Why? Because they are highly energetic and will find amusing ways to entertain themselves if they aren't given proper attention and exercise. They require a dedicated owner and/or a lot of land.

And by amusing, I mean digging, chewing, escaping & running free, etc.....things not so amusing to their exasperated owners.

I would personally say those breeds that were designed and bred for nothing more than companionship.

klaker

I would say that a Bassett hound is a great dog for a beginner. They are very laid back, great with kids and bond very well to a family. The only real problem with a Bassett hound is once they get the scent of something, you'll end up chasing them down cuz they won't stop once they've got the scent. I've had a few Bassetts and they have been great dogs except that they are hard to housetrain and they have an incredible stubborn streak.

Members online

No members online now.