Tricks and Training

JacksonsMom

Thanks! Mu is so freakin' cute. She looks awesome jumping into your arms.

Okay, well, I'm inspired. This thread has given me so many new ideas.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
This is what Zuma and I have been working on for the last week or so. I want it a bit smoother still but I'm liking how it's coming along! BTW, all shaped, no lure.

ETA apparently I can't embed this? Here's the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_kznCKgk84
OK I've tried to do this, but Kimma ends up going in to a sit LOL. If I face her and give her the back up command (I say "back it") she's fine, but somehow facing the same direction makes her sit? Tell me your ways!!!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Against my better judgement both Payton and Auggie will jump into my lap while sitting on a regular chair. Georgie still won't jump into my lap when I'm on a stool but she is not clicker-savvy so everything is harder with her. My mom says "it's because you train THEM more than HER! Georgie, she IGNORES you!"
Georgie isn't my dog, LOL.

Tomorrow, generalizing to multiple chairs.

SaraB

OK I've tried to do this, but Kimma ends up going in to a sit LOL. If I face her and give her the back up command (I say "back it") she's fine, but somehow facing the same direction makes her sit? Tell me your ways!!!
I purely shape all of my behaviors... so it's standing with my legs spread out waiting for any backward movement in the right direction. From there it's just reward placement to help reinforce where you want the dog to be.

If you facing her causes her to sit, I would work on getting her cue to sit under stimulus control and work on breaking that default first. Turn towards her, click for not sitting and then cue the sit or another behavior. Eventually turn towards her and wait for longer amounts of time before rewarding for not sitting.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Oh and I have found with dogs that are not savvy on shaping and default sit you can shove a fist of treats under their nose and wait for any backwards movement to pop open the palm, repeating that a few times will get them moving. I also have found some of the denser dogs benefit from a foot or hand under the belly to assist with standing until they understand what you're asking.

I vastly prefer to free shape but with my clients it's not always an option and with Backup he still struggles, a lot.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
I purely shape all of my behaviors... so it's standing with my legs spread out waiting for any backward movement in the right direction. From there it's just reward placement to help reinforce where you want the dog to be.

If you facing her causes her to sit, I would work on getting her cue to sit under stimulus control and work on breaking that default first. Turn towards her, click for not sitting and then cue the sit or another behavior. Eventually turn towards her and wait for longer amounts of time before rewarding for not sitting.
LOL no it's facing the same direction as her that causes her to sit when she goes to back up. So if she's in heel position and I wait, sometimes she will move backwards and I click/treat, which is good. She will move backwards pretty far, too. But as soon as I try to move backwards with her, she sits. I guess I will just start by leaning backwards and go smaller/slower.

I've been able to shape any backward movement thus far, and that's what I would prefer to continue doing :)

Taqroy

Against my better judgement both Payton and Auggie will jump into my lap while sitting on a regular chair. Georgie still won't jump into my lap when I'm on a stool but she is not clicker-savvy so everything is harder with her. My mom says "it's because you train THEM more than HER! Georgie, she IGNORES you!"
Georgie isn't my dog, LOL.
Oh mothers. LOL.

The dog without back feet learning he has em. So not exciting for most people but I was psyched. :p http://youtu.be/y7M53dBq88I
Hooray! <3 Backup

Also, we've done this with the handstand thus far:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbLoy9McXgw
Very nice! Your crew is both gorgeous and polite. Mine would've been all up in my face trying to mug treats. Lol.

EDIT: Forgot to say that I love Zuma's backward weaves - I might have to put that on my list for Mu.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Here's what we've got on the jump over my arms so far with Mia. I lost my clickers again so hence all the 'Yayyyyyyy!' lol

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C1p1L6pMWBU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Summer is still taking baby steps.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CZrUgDnC3uE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
OMG hahaha Mia is just so darn cute, she cracks me up. Summer looks so excited after she jumps, haha. That trick has been on my list of tricks to teach for ages... maybe I'll do that one next.

Georgie will now jump into my lap on a low chair! Yay George! The boys are ready for me to start adding pillows to start getting more towards standing. I tried "sitting" against a wall and my thighs started killing me (probably should NOT have tried that after two hours of BodyPump and Cycling earlier that night) and I don't have any big books, so I'm gonna try pillows. I think Payton will get it right away, Auggie starts losing confidence when it gets higher because he thinks he's too little. He won't even jump on my bed. So I'm not sure how this will go with him...
Georgie thinks being asked to jump up is BEST GAME EVER!!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
It was really easy to teach them. Mia got the entire thing in two sessions. Summer's taking a bit longer to chain both sides (the side where she starts behind me is harder for her). I've got to come up with Mia's next trick now! She does so much better if it's a fast paced kind of trick, haha.

JacksonsMom

Ohhh Mia looks great! Summer is adorable. She's always so happy.

That's such a flashy looking trick, too, I love it.

Now I can't decide what I want to work on next with Jackson.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Okay so I got an idea and here is part of our very first session with it. I've created a monster! Mia thinks this is so much fun.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mvod_U1o4es" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I need to get a better bag that doesn't collapse so easily. I had to prop it up against something and even then the mouth would still collapse down.

And yeah I realize bad me repeating the command so many times. Didn't realize I was doing that. :yikes: I guess it's sometimes good to see yourself on video after all.

Members online

No members online now.