Running off when starting to go into heat?

EvericBC

Border Collie Freak
Our Lyrik is starting to obey us less now that she's going into heat at 8 months old. Atleast, we think that's why she doesnt listen to much anymore.

Usually we can keep her off leash with us and she stays beside us. Though now she seems to be trying to run off. We've never had this problem before.

Is this common at all?

We're just wondering about it for the time. We'll be keeping her in the house soon to keep her away from all male dogs in the area. Dont need any puppies when she's still one herself..

houndlove

coonhound crazy
Well, I'm sure she's feeling those....urges. I would absolutely positively keep her on leash at all times while out of the house.

showpug

Heat cycles can cause all kind of strange or different behaviors in bitches, or none at all. It could also be a "teenager" phase that she is going through as well?

irenafarm

Herd. Protect. Love.
Is this a BC? Most BCs love their brains entirely, heat or no heat, around the onset of adolescence - even sterilized dogs. It's all that "herding stuff" kicking in a little at a time - I think all those conflicting instincts swirling around make them go a little batty. They also often get a couple of "bonus" fear periods around now, depending on how much sensitivity they've inherited and what kinds.

If not BC, then some of it still applies. This is a big boundary testing age. It can be a dangerous combination with intact status so if you've got a female that's learned running off IS possible, be extra careful!

Our Lyrik is starting to obey us less now that she's going into heat at 8 months old. Atleast, we think that's why she doesnt listen to much anymore.

There is a saying in dogs about bitches in heat "their brains go to florida"

It could be the heat cycle, it could be that she's just in her stubborn teenager phase and refuses to listen.

I know it's a different species, But Lois tries to get out a lot more the first day or so before she goes full back into heat (SHE IS GETTING SPAYED SOON, my hubby isn't working so it makes that hard) But her wanting to escape is only for a day or two. Just be sure to keep her on a short lead!

EvericBC

Border Collie Freak
We've been keeping Lyrik on leash more on the farm now.

It's just hit us that sometimes she thinks that she's always going for a car ride when she's let out of the house. The car seemed to be the direction that she would head off too.

Her trying to run off has only been a one to two day thing now.

Thanks for the help everyone. ;)

Corgi

Sounds like the right time to spay to me !
Have you ever thought that, oh, maybe she wants to title her in conformation or breed her? :/

Jeez, it's annoying how fast people jump down eachothers throats here whenever they mention their dog going into heat.

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
Geeze it is funny how some of the new pups want to come in here and complain at the way things have been working well for a long time.

Now back to the op. Have you decided that you want to breed her ? If not then why not save the hassle and have her fixed ? I find that females are quite a burden intact because of the males that come sniffing around.

P

Purdue#1

i don't know the answer to your question, but my dog mickey is starting to be more stubborn when i let her out in the morings, which i'm thinking is due to the fact that she is going to come into heat. She's about 9 months.

Members online

No members online now.