I Feed good food...and crappy treats, am I bad?

Herschel

Peanut Butter
Ingredients:
Unbleached white flour, peanut butter, vegetable oil, mixed tocopherols (natural preservative).

Where do you see partially hydrogenated fats ??? Please tell me....:rolleyes:
Eye Roll? Thanks...

I guess they changed the ingredients. I haven't used them in almost a year!

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Confessions of a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad Mommy. LOL!!!!!!!

(running off to hide thos biscuits)....

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
i agree, in moderation i see nothign wrong with feeding a little "doggy candy" once in a while... so long as their main diet is good there should be no problems feeding the occasional not so great treat

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
well I will definetely look into other treat options but I have to remember to stay within my doggy budget:rolleyes: . I usually don't use the small bite sized treats anymore because my two just swallow them whole so that why we always stick with the large and extra large sized treats for these two.

darkchild16

We are Home.
I feed Walker a type of pringle sweet potato chips and carrots as treats and whatever cheap treats i can buy he also shared apple treats with Ranger :rolleyes: but then again walker is stuck on a cheaper food for now

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
i was really bad about feeding Ruckus a potato chip sometimes! i was also bad with treats. i basically feed the petco treats from those bins, pepperoni, and milk bones. since this food allergy trail he doesnt get anything other than his 100% salmon treats.
even now i give him some piece of fruit as treats. I dont think feeding a "bad" treat is that big of a deal. just dont gorge them on it.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
I figure everybody's kids get some candy or soda now and then. It's kind of like that. The important thing is the main diet I think. They have to eat those carrots first. I know some people train using bits of raw hot dog. That's pretty crappy stuff but it's not the overall diet, just a reward to Remember. To this day, Tosca would mow the lawn for a piece of hot dog. But she loves whole carrots and celery sticks so I get off easy sometimes with her "treat". The rest of the time, I admit her treats are not always the best. I opt for something large enough so she has to at least chew a few times.

SpringerLover

I found Triumph dog biscuits at Fleet Farm last time we were there... grabbed two bags and should have grabbed more!

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
We use the Old Mother Hubbard biscuits. They are the perfect size for the chis, and the ingredients aren't too terrible.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I got to be a treat snob about the same time I switched Auggie over to Canidae from Nutro. He was still in training classes so he got LOTS of treats, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't shoveling crap down his throat, LOL. I started getting most of his treats at a store besides PetSmart where pretty much everything was organic and high quality, and picking out a few things at PetSmart and another small pet store (Charlee Bears, Newman's Own, Mother Hubbard) - it's become habit. That's what he eats so that's what I buy to replenish his stock!

But a few "crappy" treats once in a while is no big deal, IMO! Unless you're giving a lot of treats like I was/do, I don't think it's much to worry about. =>

Herschel

I shamefully gave Herschel a "new" Greenie last night.

We got it for free in the mail. I thought about it for 20 minutes before giving in. He loved it and his stool was OK this morning. I will never buy them, though. :(

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Ok Ok! I confess! I bought Tosca a bag of Purina One biscuits once. Yeesh.

Edit:...and and and....I give her popcorn.

..gulp...

~Tucker&Me~

LOL

We get Mother Hubbard in bulk and the ingrediants aren't that bad.
The only time he gets really junkie treats are for agility once or twice a week because they smell a lot stronger and are more enticing.

~Tucker

Plear

I feed Zukes for training treats... Dixie is obsessed with them, and so is Cassie.
My dogs won't eat anything with "bad" ingredients in them, though... like at PetsMart, those treats on the counter that are free? Nope. Dixie sniffs them, then looks at me like "What, are you TRYING to kill me?!"
These dogs were definately raised in Southlake... hah.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Most of the time our dogs get things like chicken left over from a meal or some thing like that.

But, like Emily, Lizzie get's really smelly treat once a week for agility classes. They aren't the greatest.

But they do get milk bones once in a blue moon. They LOVE them.

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
I feed TWO and Innova and give my ACD the Wellness banana, apple, and yogurt treats as well as the all natural beef jerky treats salmon and venison :) . He goes crazy for both of them! Most of those junky treats have all the crap in them I stay away from just like those crappy dog foods................;)

Members online

No members online now.