"Gifts to never buy a friend's/ families' kids ???

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
So I was reading about Emmit the poor giraffe that passed away & I saw this & decided to click out of curiosity because I have been guilty of buying some of these things thinking they were cool/cute & the kids would like the. (He k even I would like to play wih some of them on the list lol).

I am not a parent ... But I know there are a lot of parents here on Chaz so I wanted to ask you, do you think this is reasonable or a bit over the top & restrictive?

http://mommynoire.com/13034/thanks-...fts-parents-dont-want-you-getting-their-kids/

JessLough

Love My Mutt
We always buy the loudest, most obnoxious toys we can find. Luckily, the parents all have the same sense sense of humour and, in most cases, did the same thing to my parents when I was a kid :p

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
LOL, loved the "Beer Pong".

Edit: Great final entry (in case you didn't get all the way through). "Real Pets". "Just don't" was their message.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
some of those I think are ridiculous. I bought Hannah a quitar and all kinds of things that make noise (NO DRUMS though lol not until we have a sound proof room) and lord knows I have no issue with buying her a million stuffed animals (some that are life sized). I don't get the bath crayons or window markers. it's not hard to clean. I regularly make bathtub paint for Hannah out of food coloring and shaving cream. rinses right off and sometimes I'll let her use our big sliding glass door as a canvas and paint it to her hearts content lol. Maybe I'm just a sucker for punishement :p

But moon dough... oh yeah that is a NO NO lol unless it's nice out and she can play with it outside. Playdough is bad enough lol but this is playdough that comes in millions of miniscule pieces. and the motion sensor stuff HAHAHA that reminds me of a Denis Leary joke about a Darth Vadar piggy bank. Hannah had this electronic winnie the pooh book once that kind of went haywire and would just randomly go off in the middle of the night. Poohs voice is scary at 3 am when no one was even close to the book. Another time her Wiggle nose pooh bear had some issues where his nose wouldn't stop wiggling. it was like something from a freaky horror movie and as I get close to inspect and turn it off it comes to life and kills me or something :rofl1:

Airn

I just see a lot of ungrateful WAH WAH WAH coming off that list. :rolleyes:
Agreed.
Be happy I'm getting your kid anything.

Some parents don't mind play-dough and big stuffed animals and loud toys. Although the Moon Dough and Sand Art seem a little too far out there. Getting crafts for kids, without knowing how crafty the parent is, seems like a bad idea.

I do avoid getting my (young) brothers anything that is loud, unless I know they will love it. (Anything to do with Mario and Star Wars, they love).

Not to mention my mom, step dad, and I probably enjoy some of these toys more than the boys would. The voice changer thing? We would be using that to talk all day. :rofl1:

milos_mommy

I think for the most part, this list is ridiculous. Noisy toys ARE annoying and yeah, I'd be a little annoyed if someone bought my kid something with no purpose other than loud, obnoxious noises (I'm not talking instruments, I'm talking about those toddler toys with WAILING siren sounding music), but guess what....Lucky for parents they are the PARENTS and they get to say "you can only play with your noisy toys outside or for an hour" and they get to do stuff like say "you can only do crafts at the table with newspaper down" or outside. And if the gift is that bothersome to the parent, you can always do this: "WINDOW MARKERS?!?!? I bet Aunt Alice would LOVE to have you draw her pictures on all her windows!"

Obviously use common sense, like if your friend is constantly complaining about lack of space of lives in 500 square foot apartment, life sized teddy bear isn't a good choice. If your friend has a new baby, buying their kindergartner a drum set is not a great idea.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I loved my bathtub crayons!

Meh, if the toys are too noisy you can always take the batteries out. If there is a super questionable toy that looks awesome we'll usually call the SIL to find out if it's ok. The big thing I'm not looking forward to with noisy toys is that the birds would LOVE to learn all the annoying sounds, so the noise will be with us for years after the toys are gone-lol.

milos_mommy

This list could have included things like video games or violent games, toys based on weapons, movies/music with questionable ratings, candy/food/sugar, stuff that may be against the family's religion like tarot cards or something....those are things I'd hesitate to buy kids.

Saeleofu

When we buy my nephew toys, mostly they stay here since he visits every week. We also tend to not get electronic toys because he has way too many game systems as it is. Art sets and board games are a hit with him, so we usually get those.

This list could have included things like video games or violent games, toys based on weapons, movies/music with questionable ratings, candy/food/sugar, stuff that may be against the family's religion like tarot cards or something....those are things I'd hesitate to buy kids.
Yea, it seemed more like... "Here's a bunch of stuff I personally don't like!" rather than any kind of useful advice.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Lol I think the article is supposed to be funny, not actual advice.
That said, this is why, with rare exception.. all the kids in my life get books lol (when they are older and internet savvy they also sometimes get amazon gift cards)

Between parents tolerance and what is "in" and fun for the age group and what they already have.. it's a pain.
BOOKS AND GIFTCARDS FOR ALL!

I hate all the complaining that goes on. Look, you popped this thing out, not me, be happy I'm spending money on him/her at all thank you very much.

Some things are common sense though.. don't buy the kid a drum set unless you hate the parents lol

Romy

Taxiderpy
My sister bought a drum set for her own kids, lol. Honestly, a djembe or something for my kids would be really really cool. Then, I just figure they're kids. Kids come with noise. They might as well be having fun while they're being noisy.

milos_mommy

Yeah, I'd love it if someone bought my child a drum set, or any musical instrument. I'd much rather they receive that than some trendy toy or electronic gadget.

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
I buy books or things from Finland depending on the kid and if I am making a trip to Finland before the event. People always appreciate things from Finland. :)

I agree with a lot of them. Don't mind loud toys or moon dough and just inconvenient toys but NO giant stuffed animals (HATE them), real pets without prior approval. That's about it.

Members online

No members online now.