I thought I should let you guys know

Chewbecca

feel the magic
This morning we woke to Ella's neck/shoulder in front being EXTREMELY swollen.
We didn't know what it was, but I made Ben call off work, and we took her into the vet at 8 am.
I figured maybe a bug bite that she had a horrible reaction to. She was acting fine, maybe a little stiff, but that could be because she was sleeping all night long.
Then I thought that maybe she pulled a neck muscle or something the other day while on her spring pole.

The rest I've posted on my pit bull forums already:
Doc came in the room, took a look at her, we put her up on the table, and he put his hand on it, gently grabbed it, winced and said, "oooh, that's her lymph node."

He also found, what he believes, to be 3 mast cell tumors right near the lymph node.

I'll just type out what the papers state that we received from them:
"10 cm diameter swelling over the right prescapular lymph node. Three 1 cm diameter inflamed and raised areas just ventral to the right prescapular lymph node; in-house cytology shows basophilic granules."

He believes the three 1 cm lumps are mast cell tumors, but since he didn't want to say for sure, he took several slides. He took bloodwork. The bloodwork results will be in tomorrow, but the labwork will be another 2-3 days.
He aspirated (is that the correct term?) the swollen lymph node and it clogged the needle. Poor Ella was so poked and prodded today.

As soon as he said "It's her lymph node", I swear every organ in my body bottomed out and my eyes swelled, and I thought, "Oh god, it's cancer". Then I immediately started closing doors in my head and straightening up, and forcing myself to go, "Nope, you don't know. Not until the results come back."
All this was going on and we all stood and talked about the...the possibilities for what it might be.
The good thing is, it's only that one lymph node. All her other lymph nodes are fine.
So, he also gave us an antibiotic and some cream for her.
We're PRAYING it's a simple infection. Even a major infection that the antibiotic will take care of.
He obviously thinks the three small lumps have to do with why the lymph node is swollen, and this wouldn't be her first bout with mast cell.
She did have one removed 2 years ago that came back a level II, so we knew it was a possibility that more would pop up.

We check Ella EVERY DAY. EVERY DAY we have our hands on her and we feel for lumps and bumps. And we NEVER noticed those three bumps.
Perhaps it's still a bug bite? Who knows. But I am FORCING MYSELF NOT to panic. It's difficult, but I cannot panic until I hear the lab results.

Here's some pics I took to show the difference in her two sides.
The first pic of her left side, the normal side:

Then of her right side, where the swollen lymph node is:

Huge difference, huh?.

A facing forward shot:

And what he believes are mast cell tumors. These are RIGHT below the swollen lymph node. The crustiness is from the prescription cream he gave us to put on them.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Oh my God Becca... I don't even know what to say. I am also praying it's something that is easily resolved here. (((((((HUGE HUGS)))))))) and I will be holding my breath until you guys hear something. =<

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
AWWW, Poor Ella. I just almost cried when I read that. My prayers and thoughts are with you and Ella. let us know as soon as you hear and we are there for you no matter what happens. We heart you and Ella!

Chewbecca

feel the magic
Thanks, guys.:D
I just keep thinking that, if all her other lymph nodes are completely normal, and this literally popped up OVERNIGHT, how cancerous can it possibly be??
Does cancer just pop up overnight like that???
I mean, that is BAD swelling.

I keep praying it's as simple as a few bug bites or maybe she got stung by something in the yard yesterday or something.
But, he's pretty sure they are mast cell tumors as he's seen them on her before.

UGH.

Brattina88

You know what, It looks very similar to Tara's fatty tumor - in almost the same exact spot.
{{{{{{{+++++vibes++++++}}}}}}}} and ((((((hugs)))))))

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
Oh Becca--here's hoping it is something easily treated and that Ella will be smackchattering you for many many years!!

milos_mommy

I'm so sorry! I'll be praying for Ella, but keep in mind:

even if it IS cancerous, you caught it soon, it sounds like. Cancer doesn't mean the end.

Doberluv

I'll be sending lots of positive vibes. You must be so on edge. Just remember, there are many lumps and bumps that aren't cancer. Crossing my fingers it's nothing serious. (((hugs)))

bubbatd

How scary for you !!! AS quicky as they popped up , at this point I wouldn't worry ~ but that's easy tol say , not do !

Chewbecca

feel the magic
Well, I just don't think it's cancer other than some minor mast cell tumors, if anything.
But even if it is, we'll get her through it.
This is the same dog that had to receive heart worm treatment that the rescue was POSITIVE she'd never make it through (because she almost DIED from the treatment), and she pulled through it.
Some stupid mast cell tumors aren't going to take her.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
well, i just don't think it's cancer other than some minor mast cell tumors, if anything.
This is the same dog that had to receive heart worm treatment that the rescue was positive she'd never make it through (because she almost died from the treatment), and she pulled through it.
^^ this

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Well, I just don't think it's cancer other than some minor mast cell tumors, if anything.
This is the same dog that had to receive heart worm treatment that the rescue was POSITIVE she'd never make it through (because she almost DIED from the treatment), and she pulled through it.
YES.

Seeing as it seems to have popped up overnight, I doubt it's cancer.

Regardless, I am sitting on my hands until I hear something. You and Ella are in all our thoughts! Poor Mz. Smackchatter.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
sending vibes from over here it's nothing serious! give mz ella some extra cookies from the poking and prodding... bullies are very sensitive, you know ;)

Toller_08

Scary stuff! I hope it isn't anything too serious. You all will be in my thoughts, hoping for the best outcome! (((hugs)))

Bunny82

^This times a billion.

Members online

No members online now.