A few questions about Rotties

Hello,
I was just wondering, what would be the average price for a rottweiler, I'm Canadian, so it might vary, but does anyone have a rough idea?

Also, I was wondering, do rotties make good agility dogs? I personally never raised any contest-worth dogs, but I'd like to maybe try, nothing huge just maybe basic agility courses, that are more than just for fun, but nothing professional.

One last thing, does anyone know where rotties came from? And do you know any reputable rottie breeders in Canada?

Thanks!

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Well there are plenty of rotties doing agility on youtube:
YouTube - rottweiler agility

here is a GREAT place to start
Rottweiler Club of Canada - Rottweilers in Canada

and here are all the breeders in canada Rottweiler Club of Canada - Breeder Directory

and 2 in your area

New Brunswick

Galwood Kennel

Tracey Norwood
1757 Grandview Ave
Saint John, NB E2J 4S1
Phone: (506)214-2133
Email: [email protected]

Steinplatz Rottweilers

Ruth & Ludwig Hartmann
39 Gorhams Bluff Rd
Kingston, NB E5N 1A1
Phone: (506) 763-2473
Email: [email protected]

MicksMom

Sorry, as much as I love Rotts, the only question I can answer is where they came from. Rottweilers are a German breed. Every one I've ever met has been sweet and loveable, although strong willed. They are incredibly smart, but need an owner who they can't push around.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Rotties are a German breed with Roman roots, used as cattle drovers and money guards on the way to the markets, as well as carting light loads.

Rotties can go anywhere from $500-$2000 US depending on area, breeder and a variety of other factors.

Fran put up good links for the rest. Starting with the breed club is a good way to go. Plenty of Rotties do agility, but as with any large breed, it's of dire import to wait until their bones and joints are mature before putting them through much jumping or high-impact obstacles. Hip dysplasia and degenerative elbows are huge issues with this breed.

Thank you, Fran, I was particularly looking at Steinplatz site lately, Leia made some pretty nice looking pups, and they are all show dogs, so I was thinking oh why not. Also zoom, at what age would you think would be appropriate for showing?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
You can start showing whenever, I don't do conformation but I've seen plenty of pups on here in the ring by 6 months old. But I was referring to agility and things that require a lot of stress on the joints. Then it's best to wait until about a year, maybe even closer to 2 years old, before subjecting them to that.

Members online

No members online now.