My Dog Russell

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i checked out your website and stand in awe of your work..what i would give to try oils just once..i hate acrylic..arghhhhh YOur color is sooo rich!!!!!! Your dogs so alive. Incredible work from beginning to end..Thanks for letting me experience your talent.

Thanks, smkie, that's very generous. He's a lab/shar pei mix. He's smart, loyal, and quiet, and he's my right hand man (when he's awake).

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
got a shop talk question..even if i vacuum first..change my clothes..turn off furnace i stilllll get doghair in my painting. know any tricks to keeping it out?
my dogs don't even seem to shed that much but without fail when i check there is always at least one ...and ok two questions..do you always paint from photos or have you tried one from life only..i did mary from life only and it was quite an experience..took me a long time for i would have to ask her to look at me...and she would only hold it for a few seconds..and for some reason always thought she was trouble so i had to do her ears down..in the whats a matter what i do position.
ok three im bad...if i am driving you nuts just ignore me..how long do you have with oilpaint before it starts to set on your painting..with acrylic it is seconds..i hate it
ps..i thought your family portrait was the best!!!!! What fun!

Yeah, dog hair gets everywhere. I just pull it off with tweezers. Clients don't seem to mind one or two hairs on the painting. I just tell them it adds extra realism.

I only paint from photos, and ideally the ones I take. Much easier to control and predict the final result. Drawing from life is challenging and rewarding, but not with dogs. That's just frustrating (to me).

Oils take a while to set up and dry, depending on: what/how much medium you add, how thick you paint, what colors, etc. In the summer, my paintings take 2-3 days to dry. In the winter 4-5 days.

Occasionally, I work in acrylic. Mostly it's illustration work, which is a lot tighter. Yup, it's frustrating, but it has advantages too. Making 3-day deadlines, and the ability to add colored pencil are a few.

shyeow2

Shirley from Malaysia
uh..? smkie u paint from live dog model? i tot most artist paint from photos.. dogs can stay so long for not moving..?
btw, good work russell painting.. my dog name russell too..

Members online

No members online now.