Breeding for Size and Mass(Rottweilers)

Well i have been searching for months now and i dont seem to have a ton of choices locally. So i have extended my search.

I dont know if i feel comfortable getting a pup from a kennel i cant physcally visit. (Having them shipped to me) Any opinions on that?

Most breeders i found either breed show quality pups, which i dont care about, as long as they are helathy or they breed for strickly size and mass.

The one breeder im looking at seems to be a very good place. And they have been in business for 15 years. They claim there Stud is 250Lbs, and from the picture, i belive it. But what do you guys think of breeders who do that? Are they something i should stay away from?

Thanks

Fran27

I think you should try to contact RedyreRottweilers... She was banned but if you search some of her posts there should be a link to another forum she goes to where you should be able to contact her. She knows a lot about good rottweiler breeders.

To answer your question, I don't know anything about rotts, but I would not go to a breeder who breeds outside the standard - 250lb seems excessive. Also make sure all the parents are OFA and CERF tested (hips and eyes), have long guarantees (at least 5 years), and have temperament testing also. That should avoid having bad surprises in the end.

Ashlea

^^ agreed. Heavier dogs tend to have joint problems. Always be VERY careful when looking into a breed with known associated problems such as hip displaysia.
Good luck with your search.

gatethekeeper said:
The one breeder im looking at seems to be a very good place. And they have been in business for 15 years. They claim there Stud is 250Lbs, and from the picture, i belive it. But what do you guys think of breeders who do that? Are they something i should stay away from?

Thanks
Stay far away from any breeder who is breeding that far outside the standard. And run, don't walk, away from a breeder who prides themselves on breeding for size and mass. That's always a HUGE red flag! The primary qualities you want to look for are always, first and foremost, going to be sound health and temperament. Especially in a semi-large breed like a Rottie that has been overbred for all the wrong reasons in recent years.

W

whatszmatter

I"ve seen some very fine Rotts and none even come close to 250, anyone bragging about that is someone I would stay away from. Why such a big dog?? You'll have a dog too big to work, to big to be shown, have a lifetime of health issues and fortunately or unfortunatly, however you want to look at it, it probably will not be a long life.

gatethekeeper said:
Well i have been searching for months now and i dont seem to have a ton of choices locally. So i have extended my search.
I dont know if i feel comfortable getting a pup from a kennel i cant physcally visit. (Having them shipped to me) Any opinions on that?
I'm sure there are great, reputable kennels that ship puppies, but I would definitely prefer to visit and see the place myself. Especially with a breed as large and serious as the Rottweiler, I'd want to meet not only the parents, but the breeders personally. There are a lot of crackpots owning and breeding these dogs.

gatethekeeper said:
Most breeders i found either breed show quality pups, which i dont care about, as long as they are helathy or they breed for strickly size and mass. The one breeder im looking at seems to be a very good place. And they have been in business for 15 years. They claim there Stud is 250Lbs, and from the picture, i belive it. But what do you guys think of breeders who do that? Are they something i should stay away from?Thanks
I'd stay away from anyone who is breeding for size with Rotties. However you feel about the AKC standard and the show ring (I'm not a big fan myself), their standards are, in general, geared toward producing reasonably designed dogs. I'm not disputing there are oddities and mistakes in AKC clubs and standards, but in general, the AKC standards bar extremes like grossly oversized Rottweilers and teacup poodles. If a breeder wants to go outside the standards, it's usually for a working reason - to enhance birdiness in setters and pointers, or to choose herding ability over coat in borders. Supersized Rotties have no apparent purpose except perhaps to appear more intimidating, and that's not a breeding program I'd want to get a dog from. You want a kennel that prioritizes health and temperament, and a huge part of health, to my mind, is a dog who isn't physically a giant.

WOWZERS! I didnt not expect many responses already. This is just the type of information i was looking for.

Thanks Guy!

LizzieCollie

Collie Crazy
Oversized Rotties are the biggest mistake around (not the dogs but the breeders) Bigger is NOT better and if you want a 250lb dog get a Great Dane. That 250lb stud is probably grossly overweight.

You say you dont care about show breeders but that is what you should be looking for. Either that or a Working Kennel, because the only kennel you will find that breeds strictly for size and mass are Puppy Mills and Back Yard Breeders and none do health testing on the dogs.

Please dont buy an oversized Rottie, with an oversized dog you are oversizing all the problems of the breed. If you want a dog that large than maybe this breed is not for you

bubbatd

Ask and ye shall receive !! I'm with Fran and Casa. I would want to visit and if I couldn't myself , at least have someone I can trust check for me .

LizzieCollie said:
Oversized Rotties are the biggest mistake around (not the dogs but the breeders) Bigger is NOT better and if you want a 250lb dog get a Great Dane. That 250lb stud is probably grossly overweight.

You say you dont care about show breeders but that is what you should be looking for. Either that or a Working Kennel, because the only kennel you will find that breeds strictly for size and mass are Puppy Mills and Back Yard Breeders and none do health testing on the dogs.

Please dont buy an oversized Rottie, with an oversized dog you are oversizing all the problems of the breed. If you want a dog that large than maybe this breed is not for you
Um ok...i dont care how big the dog gets really. I didnt say i wanted a dog that was 200+ pounds. I just asked if breeders that did that were ok. Yeah i dont give a **** about show dogs, all i mean by that is im not looking for one to show. I dont care how beautiful it is or how perfect it is. As i said before, I JUST WANT IT TO BE HEALTHY!

LizzieCollie

Collie Crazy
Dont get all worked up all im saying is size is the last thing you should concentrate on because more is not better. If you dont want a perfect dog, quality breeders always have pet quality pups in their litters and with a quality breeder you can make sure you are getting a healthy dog with guarantee.

Any breeder that breeds for size, "rare colors", or designer dogs in not a repuatble breeder and you should stay as far away from them as possible.

W

whatszmatter

gatethekeeper said:
As i said before, I JUST WANT IT TO BE HEALTHY!
I'm probably beating a dead horse, but if that's all you want, you really don't want a dog from someone that breeds oversized dogs.

bubbatd said:
Ask and ye shall receive !! I'm with Fran and Casa. I would want to visit and if I couldn't myself , at least have someone I can trust check for me .
Absolutely. Rotties aren't a rare breed so it shouldn't be impossible to find a good breeder within a day's drive or so.

stevinski

Int CH - $uperBitch
I JUST WANT IT TO BE HEALTHY!
people who breed for show quality are gonna have a litter of healthy pups, when people say they are breeding for show quality, only a handful of the pups will be show quality, in every show litter there is definetly pet quality pups

LizzieCollie said:
Dont get all worked up all im saying is size is the last thing you should concentrate on because more is not better.
Well you just assumed thats what i wanted..and it sounds like you still dont understand that its not what i am concentrating on. I just asked if they were ok because i found a breeder that says they have been in business for a long time and seemed knowlegable, so i thought i would go through him. BUT he bred oversized rotties..so i wondered if that was ok.

Oh yeah and here www.fransrottweilers.com

Mordy-Thanks for the link. You saved me alot of hassle because i almost went to them. They are close to me so i thought it would be nice to be able to see the pups. Whats wrong with them by the way??

I did find a breeder that comes with The Certs, AKC bullshit, X rays and a 5 year garantee...But they are in CA which is why i asked opinions on shipping puppies, as im not to fond of it.

Also, i understand all about the show quality breeders. My point is, that i dont want to spend 2000 on a show quality pup when another breeder offers all the same same stuff for half the price because they arent "up to show specs" And unfortunettly i cant find a show breeder who has cheaper non show quality pups..

tempura tantrum

Shiba Inu Slave
You think that Lizzie didn't understand what you were asking for...she absolutely did.

We all KNOW you DON'T want a show dog. So don't get your knickers in a twist, and really *read* what people are saying- don't just throw a hissy fit the minute you see the words "AKC," or "show."

What we are TRYING to tell you is that REPUTABLE show breeders ALWAYS end up producing pet-quality puppies in every litter. Only the typiest pups, with the best conformation and that extra sparkle, end up being show dogs. Very rarely does an entire litter bred by a show breeder end up being show quality. The rest of the puppies go to pet homes- homes like yours, to be exact.

These puppies are generally far less expensive than show prospects.

They will be FAR more healthy than any dogs bred by someone whose main concern is breeding the "biggest Rottie possible." People who breed outside of standard (especially SO FAR outside of it), do NOT have either the breed, or your pup's health in their best interest. What they generally ARE breeding for is money, and money alone.

Too, you must understand that when you focus SO heavily on just ONE aspect of a dog's conformation in a breeding program, you are STILL changing things that may not seem like they should be related, but are genetically tied, nonetheless.

A great example- there is no secret among people in Malamutes that a breeder who has prided herself in being the "original breeder of giant Mals," has had SEVERAL dogs with severe behavioral problems. And when I say severe- I mean it. Dogs from her lines have killed people on more than one occasion- in a breed that SHOULD be people-friendly.

If you're going into Rotties you want to make sure you're getting one from the best place possible. And yes...this may mean having to deal with some "AKC B.S." But it beats the hell out of going through B.S. like hip dysplasia, unsound temperaments, and the like.

Nice example Mordy- they're one of the LAST people I'd by a Rottie from.

They are a puppy FACTORY and nothing more.

By the way...if you think pups from show breeders are expensive, have you ever wondered how much a hip dysplasia surgery costs? Depending on the damage...a fair bit more. My neighbors spent a cool 5 grand per hip on their golden...(you can bet their NEXT puppy came from a reputable breeder).

Also...if price is your number one issue, have you thought about looking into Rottweiler rescue?

Members online

No members online now.