Weirdest Breed Guesses?

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
What is the weirdest breed that people have guessed for your dog?

My most common one for Saxon is "Pit Bull." I don't mind it, I just use it as a chance to educate people on the differences between the APBT and the SBT. I have had a few people insist that he's a Pit Bull and I'm wrong, which is annoying, but there's not much I can do about it other than laugh!

Every once in a while, though, I get a funny guess. The most common guess (other than Pit Bull) is Beagle or Beagle mix! I have had 4 people (FOUR SEPARATE PEOPLE) ask if he was a pure bred Beagle! I have also had several people (I've lost count) ask if he was a Beagle/Pit Bull or Beagle/Jack Russell Terrier mix... Have these people ever seen a Beagle?

Beagle

Not a Beagle

So that's my story! What's the oddest breed anyone has guessed for your dog?

S

SevenSins

Goblyn, my SBT (I saw you asked her name in your other thread and completely forgot to reply to it, sorry), is...

A Pit Bull puppy...
A Labrador puppy...
An "I didn't know Pit Bulls were that small"...
Similarly, a "Miniature Pit Bull"...
Pug...
Frenchie...

And the weirdest was in line at a fast food place, I had my Staffy with me and my then 11 week old cropped APBT puppy. Guy at the register asks, "Is that a Doberman Pinscher?" I assumed he meant the puppy since you could barely see her through the vehicle window at the angle he was at and I guess if you squinted just right and missed the fact that she wasn't tanpoint, she could look like a Dobe puppy...maybe. So I asked. No. He was actually referring to my completely natural, small even by SBT standards, Goblyn, who was sitting right there plain as day. The weirdest part really, was that he specifically added the "Pinscher" part of the breed name. Normally when people do that, they at least have a remote idea as to what one looks like. :confused:

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
The best was when somebody told me how cute my chihuahua/terrier mix is. This was the animal in question:
Ok, that has mine beat! At least they guessed the same species!

Goblyn, my SBT (I saw you asked her name in your other thread and completely forgot to reply to it, sorry), is...

A Pit Bull puppy...
A Labrador puppy...
An "I didn't know Pit Bulls were that small"...
Similarly, a "Miniature Pit Bull"...
Pug...
Frenchie...

And the weirdest was in line at a fast food place, I had my Staffy with me and my then 11 week old cropped APBT puppy. Guy at the register asks, "Is that a Doberman Pinscher?" I assumed he meant the puppy since you could barely see her through the vehicle window at the angle he was at and I guess if you squinted just right and missed the fact that she wasn't tanpoint, she could look like a Dobe puppy...maybe. So I asked. No. He was actually referring to my completely natural, small even by SBT standards, Goblyn, who was sitting right there plain as day. The weirdest part really, was that he specifically added the "Pinscher" part of the breed name. Normally when people do that, they at least have a remote idea as to what one looks like. :confused:
Goblyn is the perfect name for a Stafford! Love it! :) What an oddly specific guess to be so wrong! :confused:

milos_mommy

I never get weird guesses, but people would come in to grooming or day care and tell us their own dogs were the ODDEST thing. One person brought their dog who looked exactly like a JRT and said it was a chihuahua, and then someone brought in a dog who was like 45 lbs and white and fluffy and said it was a chihuahua....we were like "we thought the appointment was for a chihuahua" and they said "yeah, a long haired chihuahua."

Or the guy who brought in what I'm pretty sure was a purebred german shepherd and called it a Malamute...when I questioned it he said "she's definitely a malamute, it's on her papers, we bought her from Puppy Depot."

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Chinchilla or sugar glider.

Summer used to get Toy collie a lot. Doesn't anymore.

Pomeranian and Chihuahua are the most common. We get shih tzu often enough that it makes me confused how so many people think they look like shih tzus. Same with pekignese.

yoko

The best was when somebody told me how cute my chihuahua/terrier mix is. This was the animal in question:
LOL :rofl1::rofl1:

I guess I've had a chi mix before too XD

I have some crazy guy I always run into when I head into town with Yoshi who is '100% sure' that she is a fluffy pit... Apparently they are super rare XD who knew??

M

MyHorseMyRules

Raja: Poodle
Boone: Bichon

Tempie doesn't get any weird guesses. They either guess lab or lab mix.

elegy

overdogged

They get Australian Shepherd a lot, which is understandable. Annoying, but understandable.

But Husky really really throws me off.

BostonBanker

Meg gets "greyhound" with remarkable frequency. Keep in mind, she's under 18" tall and weighs 35 lbs... I think people see brindle and assume greyhound or pit bull.

Gusto rarely gets anything I completely laugh off. Boston terrier is frequent. Basenji, oddly, is just as common. Given where he came from, I doubt he has either in him. Mostly he just gets "What is that?!" I usually say either "border collie/spider monkey" or "border collie/alien". People usually nod with understanding rather than laugh. If they've spent more than 10 seconds in his presence, they both seem like valid mixes.

Both of them get Catahoula on a consistent basis. And by that I mean minimum once everytime we're out. I get it because of the merle but at the same time come on, they are built nothing like them.

About the same frequency as Catahoulas I get Cattle Dogs. Which, again I can kinda see but they are obviously merle.

JRT has been while not frequent has been asked multiple times.

But my poor little Didgie did get asked if she was a pig when she was a puppy. I mean, she was a rolly little thing but I didn't think that bad.

Traveler & Didgeridoo by Traveling Koolie, on Flickr

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
OMG, I'm DYING @ the ferret. :rofl1:

I haven't gotten anything way "out there" with Fable yet. Some people have said rottweiler, which other than the colors, I don't get. Even her tan markings are not the same as a rottie's. She also has a narrow muzzle and very lean build, quite unlike even BYB rotties that are not as "solid" as those you'll find the show ring. I think if her ears had stayed up I wouldn't get that, but you never know.

Most people see shepherd, but she is TINY, so I've been asked where I got my mini/toy/teacup GSD and one person asked if the breeder was local and if the "minis" are more expensive than "regular" GSDs. *facepalm*

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
OMG, I'm DYING @ the ferret. :rofl1:

I haven't gotten anything way "out there" with Fable yet. Some people have said rottweiler, which other than the colors, I don't get. Even her tan markings are not the same as a rottie's. She also has a narrow muzzle and very lean build, quite unlike even BYB rotties that are not as "solid" as those you'll find the show ring. I think if her ears had stayed up I wouldn't get that, but you never know.

Most people see shepherd, but she is TINY, so I've been asked where I got my mini/toy/teacup GSD and one person asked if the breeder was local and if the "minis" are more expensive than "regular" GSDs. *facepalm*
Hm...must see pictures to validate...

stafinois

Professional Nerd
Stan is a fox. Harry was a hyena or jackal. Grant is a Boston. Brando the APBT was a Greyhound or JRT. Buster the Pug was a Pit Bull.

crazedACD

Pit Bull for Skye. She also gets Greyhound, Weimeraner, etc. Arguing with me that Romeo is not a cattle dog, he's a shepherd mix. I don't get a ton of people asking their breeds though.

I did have one guy ask me if Romeo and Zoie were siblings. Kind of strange to me, since they are different colors, if you know what an ACD is Zoie definitely doesn't look full ACD.

Members online