Does anyone know what the heck this is?

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Yesterday I took cricket and joey up to Maryland to see my mom since she was there for a business trip. While we were waiting for her I noticed something near Joey's penis. At first glance thinking it was a tick I examined closer.

It's not a tick, but I don't know what the heck it is. It's a really dark red ring and the entire center is a raised bubble that blue/black. Soft to the touch. Almost looks like it is filled with blood, but hard to tell and its about the size of a dime.

I'm off tomorrow so I can take him to the vet tomorrow if need be, but just wondering if anyone knows what this might be? Didn't seem to hurt him when I touched it.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Looks like a bug bite or a pimple. I wouldn't personally vet a dog over such a small bump, it will likely go away soon. Just keep an eye on it.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Could also be an ingrown hair or something similar. Keep an eye on it - if it gets worse, then I'd worry about a spider bite.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
It's really big for any pimple I've ever seen and doesn't look like a pimple to me. I've had a few guesses for boil/staph? My landlord said it looks like a black widow bite he saw turn into a staph infection once.

The top of it popped open and nasty green pus came out... Then a bunch of blood and now there's something red sitting on it... Almost blood clot looking? When you feel around the area (I wore gloves) it feels like something hard is in there.
I'll try to get another pic of it. Right now I'm giving him a little break.

Giny

Do you have foxtails there? Could one have imbedded in his skin. It's the first thing that came to mind.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I don't think we do. I've never seen any around here. We had a bunch of them when I lived in CA and one got imbedded into one of my labs (childhood dog) and that was hell to go through and ridiculously expensive if I remember correctly.

I haven't seen any around here so not sure if they tend to grow in Virginia or not?

Yorkie Mom

Sore on Belly

I'm thinking thorn or grass prong rather than say something internal coming out.. it's hard to tell without actually seeing the dog in person.

I read another response stating they wouldn't bother with a vet for a small bump but personally I would take my dog in immediately if she came up with something like you have described.

My reasoning is that it is always better to be safe than sorry. Since it is not easily evident to be a thorn or grass prong from your own point of view. From what I understand you are not sure what it is.

I'd schedule him in, Keep it clean in the meantime.

Members online