Shy puppy on the toilet

Row

I am trying to potty train my 13 week old puppy without much success. He wont poo or pee in front of me so its very hard to stop him half way through and put him on some news paper by the door. Last night I fed him at 6pm and spent 3 hours with him, not even a inkling of going to the toilet. Took him for a 30 minute walk, wouldnt poo. Stayed up to midnight with him, no poo. As soon as I went to bed he did a poo.
Then this morning I feed him and while I am brushing my teeth he does a poo no more than 10 minutes after being fed.

What is the best way to make him feel comfortable going to the toilet in front of me? The few times he has gone to the toilet outside I have praised him big time. But I have told him off when he goes to the toilet in doors. Is it the case that he now associates going to the toilet as a bad thing and wont therefore do it in front of me?

Row

OK, update on last night. Gave him a huge dinner which he loved, very greedy pup!
Took him straight outside and nothing!!! He did a little piddle which he got major praise for but not poo.
Spent the whole evening playing with him in the living room which is the only room he poops in. No luck, took him for another walk, no poop.
He did start the action of going to the toilet and i put him on the newspaper and he stopped. He started doing a piddle and I put him on the paper and he stopped.
Got to about 12:30 in the morning and still not poop, thats nearly 7 hours holding it. Went to brush my teeth and bam!! 3 big poops in the living room.

The dog just wont poop in front of me. This morning I fed him and 5 minutes later he pooped. So he obviously likes to poop after eating.

Question: Are there any food or drugs I can give him that will cause him to poop ASAP? Is there a type of food that will cause him to have to go to the toilet? I know this sounds a bit drastic but if he wont poop in front of me I stand no chance of praising him when he does it outside and I cant tell him off when he does it inside as thats what made him be shy in the first place.

I am really at my wits end with this, I feel like I am making no progress whatsoever. I may have to resort to putting him in a crate and feeding him mid afternoon so that by the time it gets to 11pm he physically has to poop and then I can put him out and praise him for doing it outside.

Advice please!!!!

He wont toilet infront of u because you have shouted at him when he's gone where he shouldnt. He associated going to the toilet infront of you with being shouted at. You will prob get different opinions on the best way to do this, but thats what a forums for. :)

Stop shouting at him whne he goes where he's not supposed to, and keep doing what you do when he goes outside, big praise and a treat. If u catch him mid-pee or poop, usher him outside or where ever u want him to go, even if he doesnt go tell him good boy onces hes ouitside(or where ever u want him to go). You are just going to have to be persistant, and keep trying to get him to go outside. Mordy suggested a good thing in an old thread, basically write down everytime u feed him, or he drinks water, then write down exactly what time he goes toilet, that way you should be able to figure out approx when to take him outside, and then praise him when he does. Its about timing really, making sure he's outside when he needs to go.

Another method thats been suggested ( I think by Bubbatd) is to put a leash on him and connect it to you (tie it to ur trousers or something) that way you will be able to watch him for 24hrs straight, any sign of peeing or pooing, u know sniffing around, walking around in circles, take him straight outside and praise when he goes. You should have to do this for very long, ur pup should catch on very quickly this way, that he should go outside.

If u keep shouting at ur dog when he poops or pees when he shouldnt then ul re-inforced his thinking "its naughty to go toilet in front of you" and you'll end up with secret piles of poo or stinky pee in hidden places, as he will try to hide it from you.

Hope I've been of some help.

Julie

I am back again.
I would like to add, when you are using newspapers by the door for poo and are trying to teach the pup to go outside, sometimes this gets confusing and really prolongs housebreaking.

If it were me I would not encourage paper training (if your goal is to have pup housebroken to go outside). Just take the pup outside to potty area.

And if pup has an accident in front of you, simply pick up pup, and take outside. No yelling or hitting.
If you find an accident after the fact, just clean it up, nothing said.

There is a product called "housebreaking aid" it comes in a bottle. Pour some onto the ground when you take pup outside, pup smells this and it sometimes helps the pup to "have" to go. It works with some pups and some it does not.

Puppys need to "go" after a nap, after eating. And take pup outside first thing in the morning. When I was housebreaking I used a crate at night, first thing in the morning I would carry my pup outside, and not even let his paws touch the ground before we got outside. This really helped.

Signs pup might have to go are: a slight whine/whimper, smelling floor, walking around in circles etc.

Never yell at this pup, from the way you talk, the pup already is afraid of you or doing something wrong. Yelling could make this much worse.
Never hit a dog with anything, not your hand, newspaper, or anything. This will ruin a dog and will become hand shy. And really afraid of you. (not saying you did this.)

I assume you don't have a fenced yard? That makes it harder to teach housebreaking when you cant let the dog "out in the Yard". But people do it all the time with success.

Has pup been checked by a vet? Housetraining is easier with a worm free dog. And vaccinations are important too.

Julie.

Members online