Odd sized raw food cuts?

I've been feeding Buster some more raw but I've run into quite the problem. I'd like to feed it more often, but I don't want to spend a ton of time with a giant knife.

2% of 40lbs is .8lbs.

I also have a few whole chickens that need to be removed from the freezer ;) They would make a good series of prey model meals (they even have pre- measured organs!) but I can't figure out how to cut them up...

Whole chickens are just over 4lbs, and leg quarters are about a pound depending on the actual cut and chicken. I could separate the wing and drumstick off, but that would leave me with lots of little pieces. Buster ate a .5lb lambsicle in under 5 minutes, I'd prefer to stick with parts larger than wings.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
My boys eat about the same amount of Raw as Buster.

When I split up a chicken, I just cut it into quarters... it isn't a big deal if you're off .2 pounds, or even 1 lb, here and there. Sometimes I give my dogs really big meals one day, like a half of a chicken or a rabbit or pig feet, and only a small meal or just a supp/organ meal the next day. Dogs were meant to gorge/fast, so it really isn't harmful to overfeed him one day and underfeed the next, as long as it's pretty balanced over time and you pay attention to his weight.

Sch3Dana

Workin' Dog
Ditto that. I feed approximate amounts and watch my dog's ribs. If they start to look skinny I might feed larger meals or 2x a day for a couple of days. If they look a little heavy I cut back. Also, the amount of activity my dogs get varies, so feeding a constant amount would also result in variances. The rib test works the best for me.

pacopoe

Yep, what they said!

My dog is 50 lbs so eats 1 lb/day. A 4 lb chicken will last 4 days so I just eyeball kind of equal amounts, but I know one night he'll feast and another night he'll be left looking for more, but it all balances out in the end!

With whole chickens here is what I do:

1 Cut off both legs, feed to one dog
2 cut the rest of the chicken in half, give the other two dogs each half

Then the next night, if I'm feeding chicken again, I just rotate who gets the organ meat. So with just one dog you could just cut it in three pieces and thats three nights worth of food. I just guess w/ the weight. My dogs are about the same size as Buster, so I just buy chickens that weigh between 2.5 and 3.5 lbs. I try to stick close to the 3lb mark so each dog gets about 1 lb per night.

Members online

No members online now.