What K9 is the king of companionship?

StillandSilent

My little terrier mix, Radar is the king of cuddles, to the point where it sometimes gets irritating. My beagle is more aloof, not much of a kisser or cuddler, though she likes to sit on the couch with you.

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
I'd say the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I believe that's their job description.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
firstly it dpends on the persons defination of ultimate companion.

However that being said TOY breeds were primarily bred for 1 reason...COMPANIONSHIP.
any of the toy breeds have "lap warming" down perfectly, plus for their size there very protective of their people.
so in my books ANY toy breed is the perfect true companion (no job just someone to sit around and cuddle with, follow you everywhere and need nothing other than to be in your arms (whereas other breeds might have too much drive and need something to do a toy breed is content just being next to you (or on you))

and to me personally, theres no companion greater than the chihuahua, they live to snuggle, theyll follow you everywhere (including to the bathroom to make sure you come out ok) there soo attentive in their need to be with their person that it can border on obsession and nerosis.
but there damned good lap warmers! and who else can fit under the bed easy enough to make sure theres no evil dust bunnies

daaqa

lurking near the surface
my answer would be that dogs in general are the kings of companionship over other types of pets. other animals, it all depends on the individual, but dogs in general win consistently.

i've been around some dogs that were horrible companions in my book [mini schnauzers, a chi-dachsie cross, a couple of far-too-over-driven labs] but were great companions in the eyes of their owners [why is beyond me :D ].

there are some exceptions, though.

i have known of some dogs that were just straight up workers and could really care less about their humans. my aunt, for instance, had a border collie who only wanted to herd the mules. they got him as a cattle dog, and he wasn't interested in cows. funny thing was, the mules totally ignored him. he would spend the whole day trying to herd them and had to be kenneled to get him to eat or sleep. he didn't care about them, didn't care about food, just the mules! not much of a companion.

joce

My byron of course-After having a dobe nothing compares. Its hard to expalin though. that dog would do anyhting for me and go anywere with me-I don't have a single doubt about him.

My beagle mix is also way up on the list but I've never met another beagle like her. Her and byron are both unqiue in there own special ways.

I don't automatically think of toy breeds mostly because when I think of a companion dog for ME I don't think of something small.

Like for my mom her companion dog is the westie we have right now-this dog doensn't want her out of his site. But that sure isn't my companion dog-he jsut tolerates me.

I think my husky and corgi couldn't care less if we even lived in the house with them sometimes:yikes:

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I agree it depends on what your needs are in a dog, and all those other factors.
To me my two mutts are perfect companions. They are both different and unique- but we are still bonded and we're wonderful matches.

DanL

I think we all agree it's going to depend on your own needs and how you view a companion. All 3 of our dogs are great companions in their own ways.

If I want a dog that will go anywhere with me, any climate, any conditions, any circumstances, likes to do new things, be active, that dog is Gunnar. But, if I want someone who likes to cuddle, thats not him. He likes to cuddle but only on his terms and for a few minutes at a time. He'll climb halfway onto my lap and lean against me for a minute or too, then hop down. Even if we invite him on the bed he'll only stay for a few minutes. At the same time, he's never more than a few feet from me, laying at my feet or off to the side no matter where I am in the house. Go to the garage to putter around? he's there. Down in the basement working out? he's there. Out in the yard, you can bet he's there.

Bruzer on the other hand, is not the dog who wants to ride to the store with you, or go on long walks, go play in the snow, or even just go sit outside for a couple hours enjoying the day. But if your idea of companionship is taking a snooze in the Lazyboy, he's your man!

Daisy is still too young for a lot of things, but for the cuddle factor, she beats them all. She's easily the most affectionate dog we've ever had. I forsee laying on the den floor using her as a pillow to watch TV when she gets older. She loves to cuddle with the other dogs too. She has to be in the same room as you but not always right against you- if she has the choice of a nap on the soft couch or the floor at your feet, she's taking the couch :) So much for no dogs on the couch, that rule got broken pretty fast. Just not on the leather couch!

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
The most loyal dog I had was a Chow. Most people don't think they are good companions, but then again, most people aren't experienced enough to be able to enjoy their pleasures. :)

I'd have to go with Pits and Chows overall; just my personal breed choices really, but they've never ever done me wrong. :D

I would really really like to say the APBT. But they have their requirements that many people aren't prepared to meet. To me, they are the ultimate companion. But I wouldn't pair the breed with your average owner, either.

It's impossible to explain with words - but Buckshot knows what I mean; so does Filarotten, and Nikki and Mit are learning :)

It's a very symbiotic relationship and you feel so very honored, especially when you consider that these creatures are perfectly capable of surviving and thriving without us. They CHOOSE to be ours - they don't really need us in the same sense as other dogs do for survival.

Kase

It's impossible to explain with words - but Buckshot knows what I mean; so does Filarotten, and Nikki and Mit are learning :)

It's a very symbiotic relationship and you feel so very honored, especially when you consider that these creatures are perfectly capable of surviving and thriving without us. They CHOOSE to be ours - they don't really need us in the same sense as other dogs do for survival.

Renee you really do break my heart. I adore the Exmoor pony breed because of the reasons why you love the fila, those ponies are more than capable of living with out us, native hardy ponies that choose to be with people but at the same time can easily live on the moors with no interference. Oh how I hate the dangerous dogs act, I want a Fila :(.

Rosefern

Well, I totally have to go with goldens of course. :lol-sign:

Flicka is totally tuned into me. If I want to lay on the couch and watch TV, she's right there. If I want to go for a nice jog, she's right there too.

She's my couch potato. She's also my agility champion.

I have two foster labs, and it amazes me how different goldens and labs are, even though they were both bred to do the same thing, speaking generally.

-Rosefern

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Dobermans - especially the boys. I've never met a breed so devoted to their owners
My byron of course-After having a dobe nothing compares. Its hard to expalin though.
Gotta agree... but dobes aren't for everyone, and other breeds may be better companions for different people. I can say this though... dobes are loyal to the bitter end. They were created to be bodyguards, and I haven't met a Dobe yet that hasn't been extremely in-tune with their owners. Renee, you say Filas choose to be with humans, even though they could live without them... I see a difference in the Doberman mentality - a dobe thinks, "There is no such thing as life without my owner."

A dobe will die for you, a dobe will stay with you for hours on end if you're feeling blue (even if they reeeeealllly have to potty!), they'll give you exactly what you need as far as companionship is concerned. If you want kisses and jumping, yeah they'll give you that. But if you want a warm body curled up next to you, a quiet companion for hours on end... they'll give you that too.

Gotta agree... but dobes aren't for everyone, and other breeds may be better companions for different people. I can say this though... dobes are loyal to the bitter end. They were created to be bodyguards, and I haven't met a Dobe yet that hasn't been extremely in-tune with their owners. Renee, you say Filas choose to be with humans, even though they could live without them... I see a difference in the Doberman mentality - a dobe thinks, "There is no such thing as life without my owner."

A dobe will die for you, a dobe will stay with you for hours on end if you're feeling blue (even if they reeeeealllly have to potty!), they'll give you exactly what you need as far as companionship is concerned. If you want kisses and jumping, yeah they'll give you that. But if you want a warm body curled up next to you, a quiet companion for hours on end... they'll give you that too.
Filas can SURVIVE without us. They don't need humans to feed them, care for them, shelter them. They can do all of that quite well without us. Their love is such that they CHOOSE to share their lives with us - to death and beyond, and it is a love that they choose to give - and this is a breed that thinks and acts independently. Truthfully, most Dobe owners I have known would be driven insane by a Fila, lol! No well-bred Fila will ever win an obedience title; probably not even a point - something that Dobes excel at :D

But, in Brazil, the common expression among rich and poor is "faithful as a Fila."

IliamnasQuest

Loves off-leash training!
For people who are capable of being the Alpha Dog, the APBT is the ultimate choice.
It's funny how different people perceive things. I am very capable of being the alpha (I live in a house with multiple bitches - shepherds and chows - peacefully together) but there is nothing about an APBT that attracts me to them. I've been around many, they were loved by their owners but I wouldn't want one any more than I would want a lab or a spaniel. So for me they wouldn't be the ultimate choice at all.

We all have such personal requirements in our companions, both canine and human .. *L* .. and when someone says "there's just something so special about the tundra hound - they're the best!" it only means that they're the best to THAT person. No dog has features that make it special to everyone .. and every breed has those humans who just fit perfectly with that breed.

I must have a split personality, because I will probably always have my two breeds. They both are wonderful companions and each provides things that I treasure.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

IliamnasQuest

Loves off-leash training!
The most loyal dog I had was a Chow. Most people don't think they are good companions, but then again, most people aren't experienced enough to be able to enjoy their pleasures. :)
Chows are exquisite companions to the right people.

As I was laying on my bed earlier, on my side, watching TV .. Khana jumped onto the bed and walked up to my face. She then leaned against me so that her body was pressed against mine and dropped her face so her cheek pressed against my cheek. And then she stood there quietly. I started scratching her back and especially the base of her tail. Her head would come up as I scratched and then every time I'd pause, she'd drop it back down so her cheek was against mine.

I finally told her "go lie down" and she just slid into a down with her body still leaning against mine, then laid her chin on my arm and went to sleep as I watched TV.

No matter where I am in the house, I have three chows and a shepherd following me. They're well-behaved and will stay out of my way if I'm going up and down stairs, but if I sit down I can expect to have Khana sitting on my foot and the other dogs laying directly behind or to the side of the chair. They provide the companionship I need by being there for me - but others might very well find it overwhelming to have all these dogs constantly around. To ME, it's perfect.

ALL of my chows are independent and yet extremely bonded to me. I think people who have never had "independent" breeds would probably be surprised at how close they can be to you if you build a trusting relationship with them. They have to trust you and if you mistreat them then they may never warm up to you. But once they do, they'll lay down their lives for you.

And I love hugging those fuzzy furry bodies!

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

Members online

No members online now.