What do you think?

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
If I were to fill out an application or a questionnaire for a breeder, and they ask "How many dogs have you had in the past" and "Have you ever rehomed a pet", how do I answer that?

I'm 20, live at home, and have never truly had my "own" dog. I count Chloe as mine, as she will be my responsibility, when I am on my own (or as soon as I have a job) but all my dogs have "technically" been my parents, and when we had to rehome Dixie, Lucy, and Holly, that was my parents who did so.

If I am still living in this house when I acquire another dog (which is possible, but not probable), how do I answer those questions, and questions similar? I want the breeder to know that I have experience with dogs, and I want to be completely honest, but at the same time I don't want to be held accountable for the rehoming of my past dogs, when it wasn't my decision (of course my parents had no choice, and I don't fault them, but I don't know how a breeder would receive it).

At this age, there's no question, that if my parents were to ask me to rehome my animals, I would move out before doing so, so there's no danger of that happening. (Not that they would anyway, since we -as in my family- own our own home now).

Red.Apricot

I answered that I have lived with x number of dogs in the past, and been quite involved with their care, but have never had a dog that was 100% mine before.

I'm not sure exactly what you should say about the rehoming issue.

Given what I remember about it, if you are still living at home, I'd follow RA's advice and then I'd write out an honest answer about your parents' decision to rehome and how old you were at the time. It wasn't because anyone WANTED to give them up -- it was something that your parents felt was necessary so that the dogs were well taken care of.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Thank you, both, that's what I was thinking.

I don't mind telling a breeder that we've had to rehome dogs before (we were suddenly unable to have dogs where we lived, and there was no way for us to move out at the time, so unfortunately we had to rehome them.) Holly was returned to her breeder, Dixie was rehomed to our Veterinarian, and Lucy was rehomed with a family who owned her brother. So they all found amazing homes, and we did the very best we could with our situation. It was an INCREDIBLY hard thing to do, but something that was necessary. We now own our own home (as in my parents do, and I live here, and am able to do so as long as needed) and there would be no question about rehoming any of our dogs, as it is, now. I just wondered if it'd be necessary to mention, since the dog would be mine (my responsibility 100%, monetarily, training-wise, and care-wise).

My thinking is that a relationship with a breeder should be a long one, and best to start it off honestly, without something like that coming up later and having them wonder what else you didn't tell them.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
I agree, thank you.

(Not that I'm looking at breeder applications or anything :uhoh: ) Lol! Seriously though, I'm 80% sure I wouldn't be able to have another dog in this house, and I completely understand that.

It's just that my dad mentioned a few days ago how well behaved Violet is now, and said that in a year, he thinks she'll be the perfect dog. You can't have two perfect dogs, and NO troublemaking puppies, am I right? :rofl1: And I'm thinking (well, hoping and praying) that once I get a decent job, and am able to be 100% responsible for a puppy, he JUST might let me have one? Maybe? :p

ETA: Aww, what happened to the :uhoh: smiley? The one with the shifty eyes? Ah well.

Maxy24

I would say you have owned one dog (Chloe) and talk about having family dogs while growing up, if they were primarily your responsibility say so. I would then say that you have never rehomed a dog but that your parents rehomed however many of the family dogs. That is if you feel them knowing about your experience with multiple dogs is important (like if you're going to a husky breeder and think it's important they know you've been raised with them). If you don't think it'll make a big difference you can always just go with one, Chloe. I would think just explaining yourself is better though, to prevent any confusion.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
On the app I filled out recently (have not sent it in) I answered the 'list the dogs you've owned' with just the three I've had personally as an adult, which would be Nikki, Summer, and Mia. Nikki I got at 9 but she died when I was 22 so I did have her as an adult. I guess I should add Beau to that too now, lol. That's kind of a confusing one.

But I also mentioned under dog experience that I've lived with numerous dogs growing up. I'm not sure if that's the best because I lived with a lot of those dogs as an adult but they weren't mine ever.

Lyzelle

A recent breeder application I filled out(haven't sent it in yet) asked a similar question. I was honest with how I felt, saying I co-owned the dogs with my mother, and the other five currently live with her while Zander is with me. I also included the rescues and the fosters, under the "rehoming" part. Because, technically, we DID rehome those dogs. And of course I mentioned Jin was new to the dog owning thing, and I'd be backseat driving despite this being "his" dog.

But I was also honest about my age, and mentioned I only moved out last year. Which is probably enough to turn off just about anyone. If only, if only....I had a time machine to make me older.

The awkward part for me, is that there's no way the breeder will be able to talk to my mother, rescues we participated in, or the owners of the dogs we fostered. Due to the relationship between me and my mother, it just isn't possible. Not only that, but my mother would probably go berserk if she knew I was looking into an EVIL BREEDER (gasp!).

So I'm just being honest in the email and puppy application, and if it comes up, I'll be honest about everything else too.

A relationship where I'm lying to my breeder isn't a relationship I want.

Members online

No members online now.