Beaucerons-- UGH!

Tazwell

Archie Passed away almost 2 months ago... And I know that if I don't look for a dog, I'm going to end up with a senior, aggressive, and/or sick dog again :rofl1: and I'm okay with that... But Right now, I need a dog who I can go into higher levels of training with-- more than just behavior modification and simple obedience.

Soooo, I have always had my heart set on a Beauceron. But I've tried emailing every breeder I can find on the web, with almost ZERO responses! I've asked a lot of questions to beauceron people, and got some new names and good information... but it seems almost hopeless to find a dog. I would really like to rescue, but it's darn near impossible to find a puppy-- let alone a rescue.

Ideas?? Names? Contacts? If it helps at all, I'm in Michigan. I've e-mailed all the breeders I could find, except the ones in CA-- that's too far...

:wall:

Equinox

I would just love to own a Beauceron in the future. I've met two, one from a breeder in Oklahoma (although I cannot remember for the life of me the kennel/breeder name... :( ). That dog is a gorgeous merle Service Dog living with 10+ other dogs (mostly Ibizan Hounds).

The other was an impressive and incredibly friendly young Beauceron from one of the breeders in California, he had been only a few points away from his AKC Ch. (had all his majors, too!) and worked in SAR. His owner/handler also planned to get him into herding.

Sorry, I'm no help, but very excited nonetheless! :D It is a shame that I forgot the name of the breeder in Oklahoma... it's not something I could look up either from show records because he has never been shown. Will see if I can scrape some information, though, from other Beauceron people.

Equinox

Actually, I found the breeder and the Beauceron owner's information. Check your PM inbox :)

pitbullpony

BSL Can Be Beaten
My girlfriend imported hers from France; and after dealing with Benz and his issues; she said she should have imported from the lady in California instead.

Les Ombres Valeureux is who she would recommend dogs from.

Tazwell

Thanks to everyone that PM'd me! I have found 2 breeders that have potential litters coming up! That's closer than I've ever been, all thanks to you wonderful Chazzers :D

For those of you who have met and/or spent time with the breed, have you ever met a Dog aggressive or Human aggressive dog? Of course, if I got a pup, it would be socialized to the max with both people and dogs, but sometimes that's just not enough. I'm hoping for my next dog to be a reliable partner for my training classes, traveling partner, Agility buddy... etc.

I've never met a DA beauce, but I have met a skittish, relatively untrustworthy one around people. After talking to lots of breeders and owners, that doesn't seem to be the usual case with will socialized individuals.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I've met a handful that were pretty sketchy around people, inherent temperament. One dog was supposed to be all sorts of trained in PP, but I'm not too sure how good he was at it, because he was rather skittery.

Then I've met other dogs from the same breeder that were great service dogs. So, much like anything else out there, it's kind of a crap shoot for the final product.

Equinox

I have only met 2, so my experience is very, VERY limited. Neither were dog aggressive or unreliable with people.

The service dog from the breeder in Oklahoma was calm and stable, the picture of a reliable and solid service dog. He lived with at least 10 other dogs and dog aggression was not a problem. The other Beauceron I met was from a breeder in California (not the one linked previously, but another), and he was VERY exuberant and wanted to make friends with anyone and everyone, people and dogs alike. A Go-Go-Go type of dog and fun to interact with. He did great with multiple people crowding around and petting him.

Both dogs had no issues with nerves or insecurities. It was a large all breed show that day and the place was jam packed. The service dog had to navigate through crowds at his owner's side and nothing phased him. Nothing really phased the other Beauceron either, but he was more concerned with trying to sniff around and make friends. Really great dogs both of them (they were working and conformation dogs), they gave me no reason to be concerned about their individual temperaments.

However, that's only 2 Beaucerons I've met, and only over the course of two days - so keep that in mind!!

pitbullpony

BSL Can Be Beaten
My girlfriend has mentioned that had she known what Benz was like; she would have shoved him back in the crate and shipped him back.

He's pretty nervy; he's good as a personal protection dog because he's sharp; but you have to be careful with him. He's a bit insecure in some situations; flank sucking, etc.

He was shipped at 12 weeks; which my friend said she'd never do again. She'd have preferred to have him at 7 weeks instead.

They are supposed to be a slow maturing breed; there is a fella up here in Canada who does Ring Sport with his; he imports from France; but he's not doing stuff with them until 3 or 4.

Members online

No members online now.