Dog rubbing butt on carpet?

CrazyDiego

My new pup has been rubbing his butt on my carpet. (just started today)

The shelter said they wormed him last month. Is there another reason that he could be doing this? Should I worm him again?
:confused:

It is most likely his anal glands. Our little yorkie girl did the same thing and we took her to the vet and he squeezed them and liquid came out (really gross)....LOL Anyway, I don't know a whole lot about anal glands but that is definitely what the problem was with her.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I agree with YorkieLover about the anal glands, but I would also take a stool sample to your vet to check for worms again. There are many different types of parasites that can't be seen without a microscope. My pets have had this kind and also the kind of worms that looked like spaghetti when they were young and it took more than one treatment to deworm them. I always take a stool sample a week after any treatments to make sure it's all clear. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Even tho the shelter wormed him, tapes are not always included in that. Watch for small sections of tapeworms that look like rice where the puppy has slept and around his anus. They tend to collect there and are itchy to a dog. That would be my first guess. Victor my rescue dog was also "wormed" by the vet but he came loaded with tapes.

CrazyDiego

Thanks!

he is 14 weeks old now. Could those glands become a problem at this young of and age??? Just wondering.. I will do the stool sample..and call the vet to check... thanks for your advice.. !! Much appreciatied!

Saje

Island dweller
smkie said:
Even tho the shelter wormed him, tapes are not always included in that. Watch for small sections of tapeworms that look like rice where the puppy has slept and around his anus. They tend to collect there and are itchy to a dog. That would be my first guess. Victor my rescue dog was also "wormed" by the vet but he came loaded with tapes.
Maverick too

Definitely anal glands. My vet actually taught me how to drain them myself (it became too much of a hassle to take carry to the vet every week). It can be quite uncomfortable for the dog.

CrazyDiego

ewww

shredhead (DOG LOVER) said:
Definitely anal glands. My vet actually taught me how to drain them myself (it became too much of a hassle to take carry to the vet every week). It can be quite uncomfortable for the dog.

I dont know if I can do that... man.. :eek:

I can change poopy diapers and clean up dog puke but something about sticking my finger up a dogs rear end freaks me out..LOL I have a friend that takes her dog in to the vet to get that done...

Is it all that bad? she says it stinks real bad! :eek:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
it isn't a pretty smell at all..if you have the bucks..pay someone else, but don't ignore it if you don't..there are worse things in the world then sticking a finger where you don't want it to be..where a plastic glove and hold your breath.

Khristine

yes, you should get that done asap. because my groomer told me that if you don't get it taken care of they could get so full that they could rupture.. and it would cost more than just getting them done..it only takes like a second each gland :)

CrazyDiego said:
I dont know if I can do that... man.. :eek:

I can change poopy diapers and clean up dog puke but something about sticking my finger up a dogs rear end freaks me out..LOL I have a friend that takes her dog in to the vet to get that done...

Is it all that bad? she says it stinks real bad! :eek:
Lol u dont stick ur finger up the dog's butt. LOL. :p You take a punch of tissues, place it over the dog's rear end, and put pressure on both sides of his/her anus (a little below,actually). Yes it does smell but i just flush the tissue down the toilet so no problems there. lol

Why do people think you stick your finger in the dog's rear end? lol Still getting a good laugh about it.

-Jon

Yes, must be the anal glands. I have one girl who has to have her's expressed every now and then. We have the vet do it now, but I recently bought a book on grooming which contains instructions on how to empty them yourself. I recommend muzzling your dog when you're expressing the glands, and have someone holding him/her in place. It's pretty painful for the dog, and he/she may just bite because of that. Also if your dog rubs his/her butt after going to the bathroom or even not after going to the bathroom, he is trying to empty them. That's a sign that they need to be expressed.

Oh, and yes, it does smell. If you do it inside, do it on an easily cleaned surface. If you do it outside you should pour some water on it afterwards or something like that. Oh! And the glands may express themselves if your dog gets excited (barks for a few minutes, etc.).

roni

K-9 lover ;)
Rookie is 11 months old now and he does that. I have had his stool checked and they found nothing. They never suggested the anal glands. Should I have his cleaned out? I don't want them to rupture. Poor baby! (and here I thought he was just trying to clean his little bottom) I know...blonde moment! : )

When I was little, I guess my Mom would express our golden, Rufus, glands in the shower. It wreeked, I guess!! Neutering also stops this build up, from what I understand? :confused:

I wouldnt say it the smell is strong (I guess it depends on the dog). I just squeeze that stuff onto tissues and flush it down the toilet. Smell goes away.

-Jon

bubbatd

It does STINK!!!! My vet showed me how express each side at a time. You don't need to use as much pressure this way, so doesn't hurt as much. A wad of cotton, plastic glove... Look up subject on line...gives you how to do pictures.

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
My pup had that problem and the vet said that if he was doing it just after coming in from pooping that he was wiping his butt, since dogs don't use toilet paper. He said not to worry unless I noticed anything in his stool or he began to do it when he hadn't been to the bathroom. In either case though just ask your vet, it's always better to be safe then sorry. :)

bubbatd

Sorry, but your vet is in LaLa Land !!! I've never heard of a dog wanting toilet paper!!

Mordy

Quigleyfied
anal galnds can be expressed internally (usually only vets and groomers do this) and externally. so yes, in some cases there's a "finger up the butt" involved.

on the general subject, in most cases an adjustment to the dog's diet and more exercise are all that is needed to fix problematic anal glands.

Members online

No members online now.