Husky's fur is stained

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I'm hoping SOMEONE can help me. My husky, while playing at my neighbors, got into oil or grease, or both, in their garage. Now her front paws and chest are stained black. I washed her twice last night and I can't get the coloring to go away. Does anyone have any suggestions...should I cut the hair or use a special soap?

bogolove

Ok, I have never tried this stuff, but you an use it on your pets, so it may be worth a shot before you cut her beautiful coat.

http://www.nontoxicsoap.com/101uses.html

also, you may try Dawn dish detergent, but read on it first to make sure it is animal safe. Also you can try baby powder, but I have no idea how well it would work on fur.

By the way, I noticed it was referred to as "bogo" at some spots, and I just want you to know that has nothing to do with my name on this forum. Bogo is the first part of my husband's last name and love is the first part of my maiden last name. So, don't worry, I don't sell the stuff or anything, it just looked like it may be useful.

Valkie

puppy mom
when I worked at the groomer's we used Dawn on the dogs that came in that got into oil and on cocker spanials' ears. It's the best thing for that kind of heavy oil and it's a lot safer than running the risk of the dog ingesting grease.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Thanks! I'll try what you guys have suggested. I noticed that the staining came right off my pit/bulldog puppy (but he's red so it was a lot harder to notice on him anyway).

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
yeah, the dawn worked REALLY good. I was afraid I would have to cut her fur to get it to come off. Then I noticed that it would of had to of been shaved completely because the black went all the way down tot the root of the hair basically. She's all better now, nice and clean.

candy722

You can try washing your dog with dish washing soap. When yorkies show their dogs they will put oil on their hair to make it shinny so I read it somewhere that they use dish washing soap to remove the grease. Hope this will work

GingerP

Partial to Spots
Glad you found the answer. There is also a comercial product available meant for removing grease and oil from pet coats. When I see the bottle again I will write the name down and see where it can be purchased for later reference.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Yeah I didn't want to cut her hair. I noticed that it wouldn't do much help if I cut her hair, I would have to shave the areas that she had gotten dirty. I used the dawn it worked very well. I didn't know that you could use the hand soap on them...hmm. Maybe I will try that if it ever happens agian.

Ivory dish washing soap is great at cutting the grease. No water when applied work through with your nails and then rinse.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Does any dish washing soap work for the grease and stuff? Also a few people (groomers included) told me that Dawn works for fleas as well...is this true? My 3 month old pup was scratching bad, I thought maybe she had picked up fleas, I washed her with Dawn and she has scratched barely at all.

Athe

I have used palmolive mixed with vinegar and glycerine. sud up the dog, leave it on and brush through the coat with a bath brush or a slicker. Be sure to follow up with a nice conditioner to replaced much needed oils. ;)

GSDFan05

juliefurry said:
Does any dish washing soap work for the grease and stuff?
I work for a vet, and we use dish soap for baths (not for the medicated type baths, of course, but for general grooming appointments), it seems to work great and we never get complaints about being itchy or anything like that.

Nyyti

We wash oil away with dish wash. Not safe or good to fur, but if you use it once, it won't do any harm.

Members online

No members online now.