mary's eye

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
a month ago mary had a cyst on the edge of her eyelid. We at first thought she just had an eye infection but it ended up that the cyst was scratching the cornea. I took her to the vet and she put a dye on the eye where you could see the abrasions. When they did surgery they discovered that she had another one inside of the eye lid as well. They removed them and she recovered well,until two days ago. Now her eye looks as bad as it did orginally. I will be takin her back Monday. I am keeping ointment in it until then as it seems to ease her pain. Do you think they grew back? That quickly? Has this happened to anybody else, Mary is going on 11 years old now.

chell78

Were these cysts that were scratching the eye causing ulcers? If so I would double check with your vet before putting any ointment in eye because if she has another ulcer which is possible, some ointments can actually burn the eye that has the ulcer so check the name of ointment with vet, see if its ok, You cant be too careful with eyes, Good luck?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Thanks,,the oitment is the one the vet gave me..the scratches had not formed ulcers, just abrasions.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
ok, just got back from the vet, long trip, long wait. Took Mom and the grandaughter with me too. Mom's dog isn't holding her urine at night, she is very old so I tought we would all go together. The scar tissue from the cyst removal is now scratching her eye. More ointment..10 days..come back. If the tissue doesn't soften up, they will score a grid across it to speed the healing. Poor Mary, that is why the inner eyelid has been slightly visible, she is holding there to keep the rim of her eyelid from touching her eye. They put a dye in and you could see the abrasion. That is why the ointment relieves her. I had hoped we were done with this..oh well. it is so hard getting old

That's good that the ointment is giving her relief. We'll all be hoping that she heals up quickly and doesn't need any more work on that eye.

How's your Mom's dog?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Trudy is also a rescue dog..coming slowly to the end of her time. She is completely deaf, stiff, but still has some zest to her life..she enjoys going out each day, even "plays" with Vic a little..she sleeps sounder now, and somtimes she no longer holds her urine at night. It is not a bladder infection, just a sign of the times..the medicine will help her. The vet told Mom she could put her down now, but Mom decided not yet

As long as Trudy is still enjoying life it would be so wrong to put her down. Good for your Mom! You give her a hug from me and Bimmer and Shiva and Kharma on behalf of all those old dogs who are becoming "inconvenient." They've spent their lives loving their people and have earned respect and consideration for their infirmities in their old age - more so than some of the people you meet!

Members online

No members online now.