Raw feeders I NEED YOU!!!

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
YAY!!! ha ha.

OK so I just went to the pets food store and picked up three pounds of chicken necks and three pounds of ground beef cubes with veggies mixed in. To start!!

My freezer at work would not fit a box full of just the pure beef :( that will be for next time.

Let the games begin!!!

Ivy

Good stuff! :)
I would start for the first week or so with bone-in chicken, be it necks or ground bone-in like you have already. Once you are sure Teagan is handling the change well, you can either start giving her a little more bone-less chicken with each meal or introduce your next protein. Be extra careful with the beef because it is much more rich than the chicken, so move slow and steady :)

Good luck!! :D

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Thanks for the great help. You will be my GO-TO!!!

And I have to admit that since Teagan's been on the raw chicken since saturday I have noticed already that her breath does not smell AT ALL!!! Its fresh smelling. I Love it!!!

misfitz

Ruddy Buttinski
Not sure about the fish, but a good way to transition from one ground meat to the other is to mix in a little bit of the new meat with the old meat, then gradually increase the amount until you can feed a whole meal of the new meat without poo issues.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Oh and people who feed fish. Do you ever guy sardines in water from the supermarket and give it to your dogs?
Yes canned fish works fine so long as it's not high in sodium many people use canned mackeral. Smelt when they have it in stock is also an ideal fatty fish to feed because it's small, is almost in perfect portions, and makes a great half frozen dogcicle.

The only fishes to avoid are fish that run up river in the pacific NW to Alaska. So pacific salmon (Keta, Pink, Dog, Chinook, Silver, Coho, Chum, Red, Sockeye) - cut throat - steelhead are all things that need to be avoided unless they are cooked. The reason is salmon poisoning.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
So another question for you guys.

Would it be safe to feed chicken backs, thighs and wings from the supermarket if I find that they are on sale??

What about ground beef, ribs or liver??

M

MyHorseMyRules

When it comes to birds, I prefer to stick with necks and backs. Long, hollow bones have a tendency to break into shards, and that just doesn't sit well with me. As for beef ribs, they are a bit too hard to count as RMBs but if they're meaty, you can use them for a boneless meal and just let her chew on the ribs for recreation. Just make sure they're big enough that she won't try to swallow them whole.

Ground beef and liver are both good. If you can find beef heart, that will cut your costs down a bit. Heart is typically going to be your most affordable muscle meat. And organs should make up about 10% of the diet, so be sure to grab some of that. Liver and kidney are going to be the easiest to find.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Thanks Jes. I will be going to Superstore this evening and see if I can find any stuff on sale that I can swipe up.

I have not been able to find a supplier or butcher yet. So I might just stick to superstore until I can find one near me.

I need to make a shopping list. :)

Members online

No members online now.