Seatbelts – What one do you use?

BerryBye

Seatbelts – What one do you use?

For those of you who use seatbelts for your dogs in the car – what one do you use?

I bought this one on the weekend – Top Paw&reg Easy Rider Car Harness - Travel - Dog - PetSmart
and I found it very constricting. The seatbelt strap goes through the back of the harness and then clips in. This results in a lot of straps on the seat, and as we were driving – every time my dog moved, the seatbelt would slowly tighten. I had to pull over to unclip it, pull out some slack and redo it a couple times in order to keep him comfortable. He is excellent in the car, so I would like to have a harness that doesn’t eventually have him strapped down in an uncomfortable position – yet provide support if we were in an accident.

Does anyone know of a harness that actually has a seatbelt clip already attached that I can just plug into the seatbelt in my vehicle? Any tips would be appreciated, and I live in Canada if that matters for product/shipping.

Thank you!!

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
i have
PetEdge: Guardian Gear Car Harness Fashion Colors

and realy like them.
the price is right...there sturdy
and soudn liek exactly what your looking for...
they have a large dring like a regular harness and come with an adjustable strap, the strap has the clip for the seatbelt holder, and you just clip them in...
when getting out of the car hook a leash to the seatbelts dring, no more dangly seatbelt loopies ect while your walking either.

I have the same one you got (the easy rider) and I HATE it and never use it. I only used it once. I should get one like foxy suggested that clips to the seatbelt instead.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
you also cant beat $4 for a car harness lol.

as a side note, the XS fits my 6lb and 10lb cresties comfortably, i wouldnt use it on anything under 5 lbs unless its a wide chested breed.

lisabobisa

Here's the kind I got my girls:

CAR SAFETY HARNESS Dog Pet Restraint SEAT BELT XL RED

It has a clip so you can hook it directly to your car and they're able to move around quite a bit. The clip part is adjustable to give them a little more or less moving room. The only problem I've had is from time to time they apparently step on the release button and unhook themselves. :p

(I got them larges I think, to give you an idea of sizing)

Bailey08

Roadie Ruff Riders here. One of three I think that are safety tested. Very secure. Love them.
Same here. I feel much safer with that than the ones with the cheap plastic snaps.

Unfortunately, Bailey doesn't like it at all because of the maneuvering it requires (no buckles). I wish there was an easier-to-use harness that was equally safe; as it is, I don't use it for short trips.

I read on another forum that they used to be adjustable.

Brattina88

I had one, I THINK it was called an EZ rider but I don't remember for 100% sure. I didn't like it because it wasn't as easy to hook up and it's definitely not as well padded or as easily adjustable.

I now have a couple of these...This one - Comfort Ride Travelin' Dog Car Harness

It's well-padded and comes with a super short "leash" that I hook to a locked shoulder belt. I also have a leash from walmart that will click right into the seat belt clip-thing. It gives the dogs just enough room to turn around and lie down, but not enough to get off of the seat. The best part is there's a swivel clip that allows the dog to turn around without getting tangled. Sometimes they like to spin before lying down. :) I have 3 of these cocker sized, and one GSD sized and they've held up well. I've had them for a couple years now.

In this picture, it doesn't look like its adjusted well to fit this dog, but I don't have any pictures of mine on my computer.

I only paid <$5 for mine, though. Scored well at big lots that day ;) lol

Saeleofu

I use the Easy Rider and LOVE it. It's simple to put on and take off, and for my dog it works well - he just lays in the seat the whole time. I put the belt through the loop and buckle him in, and we're off. I did have one of the safety tested ones before (not a roadie, but something else) and it's too frustrating to use regularly. It constantly changes size at the slightest movement, and has to come off once we're out of the car because it slips too much. It was also bulky. The Easy Rider stays on very nicely once we're out of the car too, and Gavroche wears it comfortably for several hours when I go to my parents' house. I have the larges size and it fits both my parents' GSDs and Gavroche. But, since you don't like that one, I don't have any suggestions lol. I have never had the problem of the seatbelt getting tighter at all. Maybe the car seat belt is the problem, and not the harness? Do you have a lap belt or a shoulder belt? If you use a shoulder bely, you might want to try it in a lab belt if you have one (my car doesn't have any lap belts, so I know not all cars have them.) The seatbelt I had before, as snnoying as it was, did have an extra strap you could clip to something other than the seat belt - whatever it is that child car seats clip into, I guess.

Members online