dumb question

KenyiGirl

Navy Sister
I don't know hardly anything about vaccinations (ah, the joy of having one's first and second dogs and the lack of knowledge that comes with it :p). But both dogs have been fully vaccinated, as their vet said they needed to be. So, all puppy shots, done.

So why then did I get a reminder in the mail to schedule Molly for a DA2PL vaccination? Isn't that one they give to puppies? Molly's only a year old, it can't be time to renew yet, can it?

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
I don't know hardly anything about vaccinations (ah, the joy of having one's first and second dogs and the lack of knowledge that comes with it :p). But both dogs have been fully vaccinated, as their vet said they needed to be. So, all puppy shots, done.

So why then did I get a reminder in the mail to schedule Molly for a DA2PL vaccination? Isn't that one they give to puppies? Molly's only a year old, it can't be time to renew yet, can it?
They were up to date ... at the time you had the conversation! :) The vet just failed to mention you'd be needing boosters, or thought you knew that!

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
i dont give the boosters at a year, i also dont give "grouped" vac's (small dogs too much at once), but if you follow traditional vaccination schedual then yes, nows about the time shed be due for her "booster"

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
i titer once a year and ONLY do boosters if the titers say they have NO immunity (while vets like to readminister its actually been proven that many vacinations provide life long immunity with no need to readminister.

my parents cocker charlie hasnt had a regular vacination in 5 years, hes still at 100% immunity. even his rabies doesnt drop, but its town law that they get rabies every 3 years unless theres a medical issue.

the wowies are the same, titers all show normal...ruby is 2 and hasnt needed a booster, jasper will be going in in february for his 1 yr exam and will be titerd.

the titer is a blood test to measure imunity.

when we do vacinations we also do a low impact, especially in the little ones, toy breds are hihgly prone to vacination reaction.

so as puppies at 8 weeks they get the Distemper and adeno, then a few days later we go back for parainfluenza then a week later for the parvo. then at 10 weeks the cycle starts again. rabies i dont give untill 6 months...

then at the 1 year check up, they get titered, and at 1 yr 6 months back for the second rabies dose withich is good for 3 yrs in the state.

titers then at the once yearly check up.

the cresties get their rabies no earlier than 1 year (the breed is HIGHLY prone to dangerous rabies reaction) and depending on their reaction i dont like to give it again, ruby doesnt have her rabies, the vet has written us a letter for the state as it almost killed ruby.
jasper will be closely watched when he gets his, but its likley he too will get a "note" from the dr lol.

we dont do bordatella, or lepto as both are short term, and have a high failure rate and they are low risk (indoor dogs who dont go out unsupervised)

a holistic vet is much more likley to be willing to work on this kind of vaccination schedual with you.

if vaccinations were absolutly mandetory i wouldnt give any more frequently than 3 yearly...as it stands right now only rabies is mandetory (and again, theres ways around that in certain situations too...)

as a side note, rabies immunity in humans has been proven to last up to 20 years from a single vaccination, though rehabbers get it done every 5 years, they belive a dogs immunity should be the same.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
my vet charges $60 which seemed expensive the first time but it actually works out the same price vacinating for everything would cost so...

Members online