A question for Fila owners

Saje

Island dweller
So your opinion is that this thread is finished and you are taking over? lol

Move it to another thread please.

Known of them 10 Years in Person

These dogs were created to hunt down escaped criminals or some say slaves used in slave labor. When the Bloodhounds would find them they would just bay and let them go. Where the Fila would hold on to them for the handlers to get there.

They were not bred to KILL -since the slaves were worth money and creating a dog to kill a pierce of property would not make sense.

Since they were house in packs they are much less dog dominant than many guardian breeds and since they were bred inside these jails-plantations they are one people one family type dogs.

They do not like the word you used translates to HATE strangers.
They are very loyal to their family just not good for big families.
Dont like inlaws too much ive heard.

There is not much room for this breed in the modern world
However they do have their niche . Ive gotten many a call where people are looking for dogs to guard them from stalkers and ex hubbies trying to kill them.
I refer them to the Fila.

And they dont have 10,000 for a trained PP dog, or time to traine a GSD to protect they want a natural guardian breed that would be devoted to them..

That is what they get with the Fila B plus a whole lot of liability in todays world comes with any guardian breed let alone a Fila.

JD
Planet molosser

Last edited:
There is not much room for this breed in the modern world
However they do have their niche . Ive gotten many a call where people are looking for dogs to guard them from stalkers and ex hubbies trying to kill them.
I refer them to the Fila.
Oh, please. I'm sitting here, right now, in our furniture store with one of mine at my feet. We've walked all over the downtown area once today and Shiva's ignored people she didn't know and made sure she was between them and me, she's greeted her buddy Bruce the mailman and climbed up on the step in his truck to nudge him to see if he had anything tasty, she stood between me and the train and let me know she didn't want me to walk toward it, and tonight when we go home she will go out into the pasture and check on the cows and make sure there aren't any coyotes skulking about.

And I had the other one, Kharma, here with me the day before yesterday.

There is more room for these magnificent, intelligent creatures than your post would make people believe. They just need to be raised responsibly with love and respect and you must teach and guide them to be socially adept when they are away from home.

Again the original post asked about the spanish word.
The standard calls for them to have a hatrid for strangers.
I did not write the standard.

I get my info from International Handler and Pres of the FBCA Daniel Rosa.

Exceptions to the rule due apply I have a Therapy dog LGD which is not the norm for my Molosser breed . Since they should have a "in standard distrust of strangers" which she does not..

If everyone gets a Fila based on the exceptions that is where accidents happen because they are not prepared for what is considered acceptable or norm for the breed in history. Accidents lead to BSL
JD
In 10 years ive been able to touch ONE Fila Arba champion that worked as a S and R dog and found a dead child for a grieving family.
The dog needed to be in a row boat with a sheriff and owner so it need less of the hatrid then most. So there a job for a old breed..

Room For

I watched Animal Planet the other day with a rescue they picked up.
The tests they do in shelters to determine suitability for placement is not acceptable for most guardian breeds let alone a Fila.

They pushed and pushed and pushed this poor dog using a pole with a hand 4-5 times before the dog reacted and now the dog is dead.

Most huge dogs in shelters are put down due to size let alone temperament.

When I mean in todays modern world I talk of the average pet owner and the average pet owner is not ready for any guardian breed . Let alone a Fila.

When buyers calls me for my breed and want me to change my dogs history to suit a guarantee of sorts that the breed is going to be perfect according to standards set by go-shelthers-bsl advocates- neighbors- own ordiances.

I tell them look at the breeds history and creation and dont expect the dogs to change for you as much as you need to learn and change for them and adjust fencing, lifestyles choices to insure their safety and the publics.

If more people did this less bSL would exist.

IF the "modern world" was ready for the Fila than AKC acceptance would be expected since the modern world is based on what AKC does or does not do.
What is televised on TV at AKC dog shows is what most "accept" as the correct manner in whch these dogs act .

With billions of people in the USA their is room for the Fila due to percentages of teh population that want and or need this type of dog.

But that still puts them in the area a Breed not for everyone,

JD

Members online

No members online now.