Lure Coursing!

I guess this goes in here... Squash is signed up for a lure coursing class, and today the outdoor field where it will be held had a little grand opening celebration with demos and other activities. I decided to go check the place out to see it and just get a feel for how they were going to run it before the first day of class.

He had a BLAST. It was such a distracting environment that a lot of the dogs weren't interested or lost interest in the lure partway, but once he realized what was going on he didn't think about anything else! In fact, at the last corner he biffed the turn, crashed under that orange temporary fencing (which was just splitting the larger, completely fenced area into smaller areas for different demos, he didn't end up with access to the road or anything like that) and then turned around and jumped right back over it to finish! (Which is why I look horrified, start to go get him, and then realize I don't have to.)

I'm super excited for the class because it will take up the whole area so they can do longer and varied courses and obviously there won't be so much going on. I love that they got the kind of equipment where they can control the speed so the starts and run can be really gentle, but increase speed for faster/bigger dogs.

Anyway, here we are!

ETA: Shoot, it won't embed right. Here's a link until I figure it out (or maybe forever :p):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPdBBGzwL7k

Last edited:
I don't know why the video won't embed, but alas it seems unwilling. Anyway, link above goes to the video.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
What part of MN is this?There is a CAT test in Minnesota next month in Ramsey, just wondering if you'll be there! :)

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
Love the lure coursing :)

Watson is a natural. We are planning on trying Menchi on it too. We have an all breed coursing club about and hour or two away from us.

Right in the Twin Cities' metro. Ramsey is not that far away, but I didn't even know that was being held - I just signed up for the class because I thought he would like it! This was his first time ever doing it. Maybe I'll go watch, though!

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Right in the Twin Cities' metro. Ramsey is not that far away, but I didn't even know that was being held - I just signed up for the class because I thought he would like it! This was his first time ever doing it. Maybe I'll go watch, though!
I didn't know you were in the Twin Cities...you mean I could have met The Squash!? Dang!

Also I'm incredibly upset with my computer right now because my darn broken flash player is keeping me from seeing Squash lure coursing and that is unacceptable.

Ah, and here I thought you snubbed me. :p

... and just close your eyes and imagine a big white dog running around.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Ah, and here I thought you snubbed me. :p

... and just close your eyes and imagine a big white dog running around.
Hey Minnesota's a big state! I was mostly just in a little corner of it!

I don't think my imagination can really compare to the hilarity that is Squash lol

Yea I figured you weren't doing a tour of the whole state or anything.

He's... surprisingly non-doofy in it once he gets interested and gets going. Even the guy running the equipment was a wee bit "whoa".

Of course, the fence-crashing was not captured so that eliminates a lot of doof right there.

Saeleofu

You should give the CAT a try anyway! If he goes after the lure, he'll be fine. My dogs never saw a lure until they did the CAT. Logan got his title in 2 days, and Gavroche got a leg the one time he ran.

SpringerLover

Glad Squash had fun!

I hear it was quite chaotic today with some really inattentive dog owners. Hopefully regular classes will be better managed!

We were only there for maybe 45 minutes or so towards the middle/end of the event and pretty much just showed up, waited in line for and did the lure coursing, and left... but it wasn't too bad as far as we could see. There was one tiny dog the owner was allowing to roam around with its leash dragging that was pretty much unsupervised as far as I could tell, but we just avoided it and other than that we were lucky not to encounter anything terribly egregious.

CaliTerp07

How fun! I didn't realize there were classes for it--what sort of stuff are you guys going to learn?

Lucy's going to her second CAT event next weekend. There will be 3 runs, so she should finish up her CAT, and I love hanging out in such a low key, no pressure environment where the dogs are all just having so much fun!

Well each class is only 3 weeks long, so I think it's more or less just an introduction to it, then a safe place/ opportunity to practice.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Sass, you should totally sign Squash up for the October runs!

I am contemplating taking Monstercorg.

Members online

No members online now.