How long does CANNED stay good in the fridge?

Toaster

I have a question... How long does canned dog food stay good in the refridgerator sealed in a tupperware container?

My dachshund is eating innova evo kibble, and occasionally I mix in a table spoon or two of innova (green label) canned food. The place I buy his food from, carries the 12oz (? - regular size) can for $1.39 or the single serving can of the evo for $1.19 (the small can, that looks like a hockey puck). So buy the green label innova can... that can lasts 2 or 3 weeks... since I only mix his kibble once in a while, and only use a table spoon or two at a time. Will it last that long sealed in tupperware in the fridge? or will it spoil after that long?

Hard to judge from the smell.. I hate the way dog food smells :( even the kibble stinks, but thats another thread.

All I want to make sure of, is NOT to feed my dog spoiled or rotten food.

edit: according to the innova web site, the can is 13.2oz

I have never kept Baileys food in the fridge as he will eat the whole can once opened.
But personally i wouldn't keep it for any longer than 2 days.........the same as the meat that we eat.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
I wouldn't keep it in the fridge for longer than two days, but what you can do is divide up a can into smaller containers and freeze them. :)

Toaster

Realize I'm mixing his kibble with canned, and only a couple of tablespoons of canned... PLUS: I'm only mixing his food with the canned once in a while, not every single day.

So 1 large can could last 2-3 weeks... I don't want it to go bad, or risk feeding him spoiled food. Thats why I asked... I wasn't sure what to do.

Looks like Freezing must be the best choice here???

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Hannah gets fed a quarter can of canned food with her kibble and the cans stay in our fridge for 2-3 days. Although sometimes they will stay in 4-5 and they are still fine and Hannah does not have any ill effects (ofcourse that may just be Hannah). Why don't you just buy the smaller cans?

Members online

No members online now.