Best Grain Free Cat Food?

For a 6 month old little Persian? I'm ready to go grain free for her, since it helped Puss so much. He always ate Innova, but I'm not happy with their recent purchase by P&G, so I need something else.

I've heard good things about the Canidae formula, but not about thier customer service, so I would like to avoid them also.

Cheshire has no health problems, and likes everything so palatability probably isn't an issue. She eats the occasional raw mouse/pinky, but I'm not quite ready to go fully raw while she is still growing and developing.

That seems to be the one people are suggesting the most, but I like having lots of opinions. It's probably what I'll go with.

Maxy24

Wet or dry?

There has been some correlation between high protein dry foods (like really high protein, not normal, good cat food, high protein) and increased chance of urinary infections/crystals. Protein is a diuretic so it dehydrates cats even more than dry food normally does. So dry foods like wellness core, while having good ingredients as far as dry foods go, can actually be too much of a good thing. If the diet has more wet food than dry this wouldn't be as big of a concern. So while ingredient wise grain frees are much better, the dehydration issue leading to urinary problems is a concern.

My concern with Orijen is the amount of fish in the food. Fish has also been linked to problems in cats. Not sure how common these problems are though. Here is some info: Little Big Cat

Not to be a downer lol. I have trouble recommending dry foods but if you have to feed it for some reason (which I understand some people do) maybe look at Before Grain or look at a food with a small amount of grain in it (rice perhaps). I mean, grain free dry food still need potato and I don't know how much better that is than something like rice.

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
I like Now!

I consider the same concerns that Maxy mentioned. Protein should be digested by the kidneys with moisture (it's how cats are designed to function), and a super high protein level in a dry kibble can be very taxing on their systems. And a diet high in fish has also been linked to urinary tract issues.

But don't forget wet food. If you're not ready to go raw yet, canned is very important for including moisture in their diet. Drinking just isn't enough!

Feeding Your Cat: Know The Basis of Feline Nutrition

I second all the above recommendations. My cat loves Fromm's grain-free wet food and their grain-free dry food (Surf-n-Turf). Nature's Variety Instinct (wet and dry) is a really good one as well.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I've seen the best results on Orijen and Acana... But i do always recommend using a wet food daily as well. Since cats do like to graze people like to leave the dry food out and i don't fault them for that, but wet food in the morning and evening is important too (plus if you want to go full raw eventually it's nice to teach them how to eat meals instead of grazing.

Staff online

Members online