off lead walking

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
today i am taking Ruckus to the ball park (fenced in) and practice off lead walking for the first time.
i am wanting him to walk beside me like if he was on a leash.
since i will be starting agility and maybe herding in the near future i thought that this would be a good idea to start. i will also be practicing my recall with him.

i just wanted to ask if anyone has any tips at all that may help me out.
i figure to get him to walk with me knee off lead i would use a treat or his favorite toy. and lots of praise.

DanL

Whatever you do to keep his attention on lead is what you should do off lead. Treats, toys, etc. A ball field is a great place to go for this since you are in an enclosed space. Just make sure you take a baggie with you, I used to hate it when I'd find dog crap in the field when I was coaching! I'm sure I don't have to tell you that but just a gentle reminder.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
lol! it didnt go so well today. i guess it was typical for his first time.
i would tell him to come, and he went right beside me.i showed him my yummy treat and his squeaky toy to try to get him to walk beside me.
he did alright for the first few minutes and then decided he doesnt want his squeaky toy or treats, he would rather do some zoomies around the field.

but we did work on his recall. about 80% of the time when i called him "come!" he ecstatically ran to me. i am so proud of him! but one problem we had a few times is that when i say "come" he runs the filed and circles around a couple of times (zooming very fast!) before coming to me.

BTW i got pics to be uploaded tonight!! YIPPEEE

Lizmo

Water Junkie
YAY!!! Great work!!! :D Yippppppyyyy PICS!!! :D

You have inspired me....I am going to work with Lizzie on Off Leash walking! :D

silverpawz

No Sugar Added
Personally, I would take a long line to the field next time and practice on that. If you're giving commands and your dog is off leash, and he's not responding to you even some of the time, then he's only practicing that behavior. It sounds like he might not be ready for off leash work yet.

I never let a dog off leash untill he's as close to perfect as possible ON leash first. (exceptions to this are when I'm teaching heeling with 'choose to heel')

Doberluv

If you do off leash recalls, which I think are just fine, one precaution: DO NOT GIVE THE CUE TO COME. Not until he comes. Entice him, run the other way, make silly noises, use a favorite squeeky toy, hide behind something and make goofy sounds but do not use the word come or any word you want to use to tell him to come. When he is coming to you for the sheer joy of it... and 2 feet from you, and you're positive he's coming to you, then say, "come." And treat. If he's doing zoomies around you and not coming right away, then praise him when he comes around but no treat. Personally, I'd get up from my squatting position and walk away a little bit and no more fun for a couple of seconds. He'll learn that he has to come all the way to you to get the treat and praise. When he is coming 95% of the time when you entice him and you've used the word, "come" enough (together with his actual arrival to you) that you think he's pairing it with the action of coming to you, then try using it first. But make sure he's not too engaged in something else. You want him to have every opportunity to succeed. Or you can wait till he's coming to you on his own and just a few feet from you... you're sure he's coming, then say, "come." And reinforce with a yummy treat and praise. If one time he doesn't come, then he's not ready yet to be called ahead of time. I find that this works very well and the dog learns some "self discipline." You can intermingle too....use a long line sometimes and sometimes not. That way he doesn't get reliant on having the leash on in order to come.

I used a little of both; the off leash and using the long line sometimes. But with the long line, if you have to resort to reeling him in, he is not making the decision himself to come, which I prefer if possible.....to set the dog up so he will choose the way I want it. I just hold off on adding the cue till he's really reliable with the eliciting of the behavior. And make sure your reinforcement is something really good....that really motivates him, his favorite treat. Fresh meat, tiny pieces of white cheese, tiny hot dog pieces....just pea sized and really tasty. Try not practicing right after a meal, so he's a little on the hungry side.

If you can't find something that is highly motivating to him, then you better use a long line and reel him in by force. But if he is motivated enough, he'll choose to do what earns him the reward.

I did the same thing with heel and/or a more casual walk alongside me... no leash at all, ..."let's go." If he walked close, click/treat. If not.......not. LOL.

One other little tip: Get the zoomies out of him a little before you start working on things. Let him rip roar and have fun and get a little tired.

Of course, never go without a leash where it's not fenced or otherwise a very safe area, very, very far from cars etc.

Brattina88

good advice ;) I was going to post some of mine, but I don't think its necessary!

I just wanted to add that for some reason (lol), with my dogs, they heel better off leash than on because they are paying more attention to me and my movement on correlation to theirs . . .

good luck !

Roxy's CD

It's funny you say that Brattina, but my guys are like that too. Both of their off lead heels are much tighter than on lead. Funny eh.

Before we went into straight off lead heeling, I took my 6 ft long lead and put it around my neck loosely with my right thumb in the loop. The leash is very loose so there is no tension. I would snap the leash off quickly to start so they didn't even know they were off leash, walk 10 feet than praise highly. It wasn't until the end that they even realized they were off leash.

Good luck! :) I'm sure it will come along with time and practice!

Doberluv

I just wanted to add that for some reason (lol), with my dogs, they heel better off leash than on because they are paying more attention to me and my movement on correlation to theirs . . .
Not suprised. I start all my pups off very young with no leash. I like getting them use to coming alongside me without having to control them with a leash. Then I use the leash after a bit also and switch them so they get use to that too. But if there's nothing to pull against, it leaves it up to them and they develop some "self control." Of course, you must set them up so they will succeed and get reinforced amply. Then as we go, I raise the criteria so that they need to give me a little better, tighter heeling or loose leash walking in order to get the reinforcement.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Wow that is wierd Brattina, b/c Lizzie is so much better off leash too! She is focusing on me and my moves better too!

mrose_s

BusterLove
i use treats to practice heal at home.
i dunno really about buster , he just sorta caught on. he heals very well off leash and when i say "go!" he runs ahead. but on leash he has a lot more problems... odd

Doberluv

Mrose...it just needs more practice with the leash. As I work with a pup off leash, I switch back and forth and do just what you do with the leash as you do without. Encourage, have good timing with the clicker and treats (if you use a clicker) or use a word when he's in good position; "yessssss" and treat. Make lots of turns and make it fun. You can even use a toy to help encourage him to pay attention and come along with you. It just takes practice. He'll get it. Remember, before a nice, tight heel, he has to get the part about walking nicely on a looser heel and gradually ask for better.

Members online

No members online now.