Mastiffs in a Multi-dog Household

Amstaffer

One way to get experience is to find a local rescue who handles your breed of interest and volunteer to exercise the dogs or clean up and you will learn a lot. Then do some fostering; after doing that for a while you will get pretty good at knowing the breed and you'll learn from the people who run the rescue.

Finding the right Dane....don't know any Dane breeders but if you go that route make super sure they do all the health test and temperament testing as almost all big dogs have more health problems.

Good luck

I did do some research on that trait and I found many sites that stated the ojeriza trait surfaces when the pup is not socialized anymore after 6 months of age. I wonder if ojeriza would not surface if you were to constantly socialize them, even after 6 months?

That's why i'm here.......teach me!!!:D

I am not sure exactly what breed would fit my lifestyle. It does not neccessaerily have to be a Mastiff, but I am very interested in a large/giant type. If anybody has any other suggestions, please let me know what other options are out there.:)
Oh, the ojeriza is there. Kharma is HEAVILY socialized and I can take her virtually anywhere with me. She tolerates a great deal with grace and aplomb. Some people she actually likes. BUT . . . there are those she loathes on sight and that's all there is to it. She's always right, though, lol.

When she loathes someone it's different than when, say, a GSD doesn't like them. Think in terms of how a lion loathes a hyena.

Also, many people have heard/seen me say it: no true Fila will ever win an obedience title ;)

Ive heard that Irish wolfhounds are great as pets and some lines will protect.
Thou not a mastiff thou Giant.
They used to hunt wolf in packs and are giants.
But with giants come short life spans.

Mastiff or Molosser have sub groups. Many are traced back to Mastiff of old.

Section 1: Pinscher and Schnauzer type ex Dobie and Giant Schnauzer.
Section 2: Molossoid breeds
Mastiff type :Corso , Boxer , Dogo, Neo, Corso , Rottie,Dane -Fila -Mastiff.BM.Bulldog etc
Mountain type: Mastiff is in name of some of these
ASD-CAS-CO-TM-Newfie- LGD breeds- Saint Bernard.
Section 3: Swiss Mountain and Cattle Dogs. Berner - Swissie.

Tibetian Mastiff considered to be the oldest mastiffs coming from the Asiatics Mastiffs.
Today are large not giant are aloof and not over the top in defense but said will defend when need be. They are much more pedigreed today and for inbreeding some health issues have come forth. Most are Black tan and black dogs with massive bear hears often scare off many. They also have great rescue group.

OEM Mastiff were bred to HOLD the intruder againest a wall.
Not high defense. Great deterant.
But major health issues short life span and bloat is daily concern.
My friends have OEM studs and CAS males and female all together as a pack.

With that said only 2 real guarantees in life. OFten we base our next dog search on our first or last dog. And truth is no dog can be guaranted to be a guard dog or a smooch monster. With each year of work a breeder or a good breeder can predict more and more of what their line will produce, test the pup, interview owner in hopes of a great match and offer guidance during fear periods all pups have. After that it is LUCK.

So I have smooch monsters that SMOOCH visitors but I dont expect to like every person equal on every day. No matter the work you can put into a dog or breed. Accidents can and will happen and no 100 percent can be achieved to have a dog that smooches all visitors but is sure to protect when need me. It is counter productive and 1-10 dogs may be that loving NewFie Nanny from Peter pan and then have what it takes to save you.
Without a suspicion for strange people at the bear Min it is harder for them to react when the chips are down.

So most who want a pet first and guardian just in case. Take measures to give the impression they are protected and in most cases that works.
Signs guard dog present, size and or color of dog in yard, even fake dog growls at door knobs have worked. Or sign that says Forget the dog Beware of the owner .
Training a pet to speak on command can help ward off people seen in a distance.
Lites that go on when not home all help in conjunction with a dog.

The TV that breaks into your house has broken in on many breeds of dogs from small t large must to the amazement of the the owners who say . I really thougth he would do something. Some bark and when challenged the dog backs off. Why cause it was trained NEVER to do this to strangers and it remembers the training.

Not all theives are rapists and or murders, many are the local kids doing it for kicks or for extra cash, or grown ups that need money and some become theives many are not corrupt enough to murder. Other wise we would have TONS of murders vs Tons of robberies..
So dogs may not stop the average joe from purse snatching of stealing but any breed of dog has the potential to do a Lassie and save you when the chips are down.

Not test of trial can assure you are protected. Since nothing mimics the variables in real life. However I make a bet most here would step in front of a bullet meant for the dog that we got to protect us and we protect them. Go figure.

My vote is Dane for size but I will lose my 13 year old CAS this year and Im devastated knowing it is coming and if I had to lose a dog ever 5-7 years for giant breeds I woud commit myself.
So I prefer Dobie for the pet - possible protection route.
They are a deterant, are large enough, my 1st Cherry at Vet class would kinda click her teeth and it scared me. I found out she was happy we became best friends in the worse area of NYC and she was a Smooch!!! once u understood their posture and she was only about 70 pounds but people MOVED out the way when we walked down 3rd ave during rush hour. Plus even thou they have some health issues they LIVE lONGER than giant breeds.

Best of luck in your choice.

SmexyPibble

Blow. Me. Away.
I have a friend who has a 9 month old female English Mastiff, 3 little kids under 6 years old, and 2 Chihuahuas. May, the Mastiff, is such a clumsy big girl, but she is very gentle with the little dogs and will play very gently with them with her mouth, and she is very gentle with the kids as well and has a very delicate step around them. :)

Saintgirl

I was going to suggest a Saint Bernard (because I am biased!), but then I read that you have already owned one in the past. Not interested in one of them again? I think they fit the bill for what you need.

At 180lbs my boy tends to ward off anyone who is not comfortable around dogs. His size alone is a HUGE deterrent. He is great with smaller dogs- we have a beagle too! He is certainly social enough to go everywhere we go. He certainly isn't a CO or a fila when it comes to guarding my home or me, but I can walk through a park without him having to be weary of the strangers either. They have their share of health problems too, but all giants do.

Don't be swayed away from giant breeds if you really want one because of the shorter life span. Yes, they aren't here for as long, but the amount of love and joy they give when they are make up for it. My boy is 6 now and the average lifespan is 8-10, but he is going strong without even a grey hair on his muzzle. I don't count the days he has left, I enjoy the time we spend together!

We had a 11 year old Saint bernard at the dog show this weekend walking around like he was 4. But he was about 150 not the biggest which is why he is still going like the every ready bunny.

Neos, SM, Wolfhounds and Danes seem to have shorter life spans than Saints.
Bloat seems to be a big issue than cancers or anything that kills them young.

I forgot a Giant breed that is a laid back lgd . So you should get the smooches and protection instinct.
Pryrean Mastiff not spelled correctly but they are great.
Breeder in CA they are from Spain.

http://www.planetmolosser.com/gallery/data/511/Bestnshow2.jpg

Ive only met one this young jr. For show folk this is dr R Meen who judged our 1st big dog dog show.

http://www.planetmolosser.com/gallery/data/555/14_Mayo_2008_008_300x225.jpg

http://www.planetmolosser.com/gallery/data/555/Jeg_Elsker_Dig.jpg

PM giant with kid

here is a stacked

Ivy

I was going to suggest a Saint Bernard (because I am biased!), but then I read that you have already owned one in the past. Not interested in one of them again? I think they fit the bill for what you need.
I have been thinking about getting another one...but I am also curious to know what other large/giant breeds might also fit in my life equation.

My Saint boy was also fantastic with my beagle and basset. I remember he used to lay on his side or back and just let the others play with him and play nip with them.
I also liked it when he would hear someone out in the hallway (I used to live in an apartment back then) and he would let out a low grumble. I liked that he would let me know what was going on around me just in case I didn't hear or see it. But if friends came to visit he wasn't mean to them, but he certainly let them know his presence.

Now that I think of it, I remember when Snoopy started to mimick his grumbling and pacing when he heard someone in the hallway too. It was a sight to see this huge 100+ dog with his 20 pound sidekick beside him!!:)

Ivy

I forgot a Giant breed that is a laid back lgd . So you should get the smooches and protection instinct.
Pryrean Mastiff not spelled correctly but they are great.
Breeder in CA they are from Spain.
I do not know much about the Pyrenean Mastiff. They look similar to a long hair Saint Bernard. I will do some research. But in the meantime, does anyone know from experience if they are okay to have living with a house full of hounds??

Yes they are, they are a pack lGD. Will try to find some info for u.

Do they get along well with other animals?
The Pyrenean Mastiff will get along well with all animals that it is raised with since it comes to view them as "flock" and will perform the function it knows best as guardian and companion.
Are they people or dog aggressive with newcomers?
The Pyrenean Mastiff is not a "people aggressive" dog or "attack dog". It protects that which it is close to from danger should the need arise.

Are they cat tolerant?
The Pyrenean Mastiff will consider the cat as part of the flock it is to guard and thus doing so will inevitably get along well with cats. Strange or wandering cats may be a source for further investigation by the Pyrenean Mastiff as it will not allow any unwelcome intruders

The Pyrenean Mastiff is a dog of loyal and honest character and an excellent protector of children and family. For those who would dare challenge the temperament of this breed - watch out! Although always friendly and alert the Pyrenean Mastiff has the ability to defend itself and those in its charge should the need arise! It is a very calm dog and has not inherited the "hair - trigger" or stubborn personality of many other guardian breeds. The Pyrenean Mastiff is a dog happy to please his owner and enjoys his owners company. In comparison to the Great Pyrenees * they will not consume food sparingly! The Pyrenean as a breed that is playful and not difficult to train. Our breed upon first glance has also often incorrectly been compared to the Saint Bernard * with which there actually is not any relationship. It would be considered a fault for the Pyrenean Mastiff to display a Saint Bernard type head or muzzle.

Livestock guardian dog LGD.
Not all dogs are typical LGD's.
Some are more territorial guardians like Central Asian Shepherds.

Great Pry, Kuvasz, Akbash BOND with the sheep and think of themselves as sheep.

CAS - Koochee type dogs think of themselves as dog or part cat . And protect the area the sheep are in or any area they percieve as theirs which is why they are a nomadic guardian.

So often we wrongly classify breeds to better understand where they belong.

Thanks I drove my mom Crazy at age 11 by reciting all the AKC breeds from my wall poster back then. My fav was the Bedlington terrier it was so odd looking.

filarotten

Fila the love
What does lGD mean?

And I must say, you are a great source of very valuable information:D
Thank you
Livestock guradian dogs

I was going to suggest another St. Bernard also. A friend of mine had one, it was so adorable. Big lovable guy, but he had a lot of respect from strangers.

Ivy

So I take it that a pyrenean mastiff would be okay to be left off leash while on the property? I live on a large property and I have always wanted to have a dog that can be off leash 95% of the time. I love my hound dogs, but not all of them can be trusted to be off leash for too long.

I was doing some research and I think I have narrowed it down to either a Saint Bernard or the Pyrenean Mastiff.

I really like how the temperament of the Pyrenean Mastiff is said to be. Soft, gentle, yet you still don't want to mess with it. I also really like how they are described to see other dogs it may live with as part of the "flock", meaning they will not try to hurt them. I find it kind of endearing in a way.

Ivy

Livestock guradian dogs

I was going to suggest another St. Bernard also. A friend of mine had one, it was so adorable. Big lovable guy, but he had a lot of respect from strangers.

Well, if I win the lottery like I am planning on doing soon, I will get both a Saint Bernard AND a Pyrenean Mastiff!!:lol-sign:

Well im city gal and im a anti off leash person . My 14 front acres are fenced.
So I dont suggest that to anyone.

Being a giant breed you wont get the speed for take off.
They will bond to you and with training anything is possible.
You set boundaries by NEVER extending your walks beyond a safe zone.
So you do not take them on road for a walk if you dont want them to go there and go walk about without you. Once they mark the territory as theres then when loose it is their job to walk the edge of the property.

I learned this hard way took my 1st CAS 13 years ago out to post my 50 acres on the edge.
She was loose with me on my middle 10 never front or back.
Next day let her loose and did my reg walk and she took off down the same path she marked the day before . I ran to house to get the car she was back in a flash.
Next year find out from neighbor behind me that u should of seen the Rottie mix that came out your ditch with a orange vest She Stood her ground would not let him close to the property line. She postured mock charged dug a hole like to bury him it he then told her go come girl ( I was screaming and she heard me). So she saw no threat and came home. But her growl and posture is far worse then any bite. Since they put so much into displaying to ward scare off strangers it is like the demon from hell.
She was NEVER let loose again. And none of my other dogs even know I own that much land.

So each dog is different if you get the correct pup for u no limits to what you want to do.
you can train a 4 ft perimiter for walking and recall every time they go too far.

Other than being carefull with giant breeds. Slow growth , make sure food is approite to the exercise , Glos/Chrointin/ carefull about bloat dont know about it but heard it is deadly.

Think you will be great no matter what you choose.

My wish hit lotto fence in all 50 acres :)

Ivy

I live out in a rural farm land area. Our road isn't even paved, so I am not too concerned with an abundance of traffic. But still, I have to be carefull.
But living out in the middle of nowhere and being a woman who lives alone.....yes I want to feel safe.

The Mastiff cross I am fostering right now does not need to be on a leash. She generally does not stray too far and her recall is impeccable.

That is how I would want my giant dog to live unless he ended up being to hard headed and decided to stray. But I doubt that will happen

Members online

No members online now.