Transport for Shadow (kitty)

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
Hello! We're looking for a transport from Spokane WA to Colorado. Boemy's kitty Shadow needs a new home, and my son wants a kitty...seems like fate.

I can definitely drive quite a bit, and am not objectionable to it. If we could get her as far as Wyoming I'd be more than willing to drive up there to get her.

The current idea is sometime in October, before the snow really gets going, it appears Boemy and I both have small cars that are not the best in snow (and seriously folks, I cannot drive very well in snow)

So any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

ETA: Looks like Salt Lake City would be a good place for me to pick up as well, and kind of a straight shot if we go from Spokane WA to Boise, ID, to SLC, UT...

Boemy, anything she needs for travel like a crate?
Maybe we could try Operation Roger (I thought it was only for dogs but appears that it works for kitties too) she'd need UTD shots and a health cert. but it's pretty cheap and saves trying to organize quite so much. That would also open it up to being much more flexible because those people can drive in snow, lol!

Last edited:

Boemy

Small cars + snow = bad!

Shadow has a soft-sided crate, no problem there. She is UTD on shots . . . I will call my vet this week and see about getting her previous medical record sent to you or your vet. And getting a health certificate.

Also, I can't remember if she has a microchip or not . . . I think I did have her microchipped after I found her. I assume there's some way to change the info on there to your info . . .

I can drive quite a ways if necessary. On a weekend would be best for me so that I wouldn't miss classes. The truckers network sounds hopeful!

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
I think using the truckers is probably the most efficient and easy transport we'll be able to come up with. They charge $25 or so which is less than I'll pay for a tank of gas, even in my tiny car. It should work out pretty good considering she's coming from a larger city to a large city, and even at that if they can't bring her to Co. Springs I can always go up to Denver or wherever.

I don't have a local vet yet, I've been using a shot clinic for mine thus so far, so sending them to me is fine and when I choose a vet I can bring them in. I'll PM you my address, as we'll need it to fill out an application with Operation Roger. I think all they require is a health cert within the last 30 days, and if she gets here sooner, that's no problem either, I'm going to pick up kitty supplies on Monday.

Thracian

If the trucker thing doesn't work out, let me know. I could do a couple hour stretch near SLC. Not more than that, I'm afraid, because I'm very allergic to cats, but I'm sure I'd be OK for a couple of hours with her in a crate or some other kind of carrier.

Boemy

I just got an e-mail from the Operation Roger truckers that Shadow's application was approved and is now listed on their message board. Yay! I've got an exam scheduled for next week to get her health certificate. :)

Does anyone know how to change microchip information when you don't remember the microchip # of a pet? I found the vet receipt for it, but it didn't list the Avid number. I'm sure I got a brochure with it in it, but who knows where I put it!

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
When you take her to the vet, have them scan her for it, that should pull up the ID. That's what the local vet suggested to me about Jasper's chip (which I still haven't changed)

YAY! I saw her name on their board too :)

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
Well I got a call from Operation Roger, I'm going to have a bit of a drive north to pick Shadow up...but it's a more than just cause to do so. See they asked me if I'd have room to pick up a 12 year old blind Pekinese if they could get them to the same place...that needs to get to Denver.

Who am I to turn a dog down, especially when I have to drive through Denver on my way home!
So looks like I'll have a blind old dog and a cat, and 3 kids in the car...what a zoo!

Boemy

The travelling circus! :D How far do you have to drive, ACampbell? Hope it's not too far.

I haven't received any calls from them yet, just e-mails. I have Shadow's health certificate now . . . It's hard to believe she'll be truckin' out in just four days. I'll miss her cheerful little face.

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
Yeah, on second thought...may just be me, old blind Pekinese, and Shadow on the trip...It's a 5 hour trip (just shy of 300 miles one way) to where I"ll need to pick her up (out near Grand Junction), one way. I don't want to drag the kids out that far, as that's an entire days worth of driving...so what I'm going to TRY to do is have the trucker meet up with me in the evening around 8 PM or so that way I can leave Colorado Springs around 2-3 PM and get home around Midnight to 1 AM...
I absolutely have to be home no later than 4:30 AM so hubby can go to work...and can't leave any earlier than 2-3 PM if I"m not going to take the kids on my 10 hour road trip, that will probably be longer considering animals are going to need a break out of crates, etc.

Hopefully the person getting the Peke in Denver will be ok with staying up a little late, like 11 PMish to pick her up...I'd much rather do it during the day but alas, hubby cannot get out of work since he's doing a school.

I don't want to take the kids because that will mean my son will have to miss a couple hours of school, and will get home really late...not to mention I'm going to meet up with a stranger and don't want to put my kids in the middle of that, I'm confident he's "safe" but you never know what else could happen.

It's a bummer it's earlier in the week on like a Monday or Tuesday...had it been Thurs or Friday Shadow, blind doggy, me and friends would have flown up to there to pick up, but my pilot friend works Monday and Tuesday.

Boemy

FIVE HOURS EACH WAY! :yikes: Wow, talk about your Incredible Journey! I'll cross my fingers that Shadow is as quiet as she usually is on trips (unlike my boys, the Sad Yowlers.)

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
FIVE HOURS EACH WAY! :yikes: Wow, talk about your Incredible Journey! I'll cross my fingers that Shadow is as quiet as she usually is on trips (unlike my boys, the Sad Yowlers.)
I know, sounds like Homeward bound...hey wait a second here...I have a golden retriever, picking up a Himilayan cat, and uhm, well I'm missing Chance the American Bulldog but I have Lily here at home still so uhm...somethings not right :D

Thankfully I have GPS so I won't get lost wherever I end up picking up these two. I emailed them on what times would work best for me, so hopefully that goes through. Even if the other home can't pick up as late as 11 PM, the Peke can stay at my house over night, no biggie...I have crates. How much trouble can an ancient blind dog be?! (I just probably jinxed myself there)

ETA: when I looked at the town on the map, it didn't look 300 miles away, :rofl1:

Oh, another quick thing. You said she's leash trained (obviously not like a dog but ya know) do I need to pick up a harness so I can let her out of her crate to stretch out a bit? If so, what size...I know jack sh!t about harnesses for cats, but can pick one up if need be. I know I"m going to have to stop and let old doggy out for a stretch and potty break at least once (it's 5 hours, that's a long time to hold it in the car, I'm also lining my car with newspaper and trash bags, I know I can't hold it that long so yeah...)

Wow, this thread turned from serious to a circus fast...lol, I don't dare tell any of my friends I'm going that far to pick up a cat, they already think I'm insane for getting Jasper and driving the 4 hour round trip to get him at DIA...now if I told them I was picking up an old blind little dog (oh no, she might turn me on to liking little dogs, gah) and a cat while doing a 10 hour roundtrip...I think they may take me in to have my head examined.

Does this make me one of those crazy pet people? Hubby's already resigned himself that I'm losing it, I didn't dare tell him quite how far it was, just that it was a couple hundred miles away...and he offered to let me use his truck for comfort...but eh, I hate driving it (no tilt wheel so I have to sit on a phonebook to see) and it sucks gas...he's just biding his time to have me committed I think :lol-sign:

Last edited:

Boemy

"Tonight the part of Chance the bulldog will be played by Mr. Pookie, the blind pekinese. We apologize for the inconvenience." :D

I'll be sending her harness and leash with her but I wouldn't recommend taking her out of the vehicle until you reach home (except in the crate) . . . She is mellow here and has never really tested the limits of the harness, but I don't know if she'll be so calm in a strange location. She's a very petite cat and might be able to squirm her way out of the harness if she really made an effort.

The Operation Roger instructions said to send a litter box with pine litter . . . I'm guessing they'll give it to you? Mind you, she's never used pine litter before. I mixed some in with the regular litter today and the cats stared at me as if I were crazy. "WHAT have you infested our litter with??" If you bring a box of Arm & Hammer litter and dump it in a litter box I'm sure she'll use that, though. :3

Oh man, I know what you mean. I told one of my friends about this whole extensive operation--driving out, meeting truckers, cat going to Colorado--and she was bewildered.

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
**snicker**

Join the "insane animal person" club...hubby thinks I"m the president already, but I'd gladly resign from that office!

Boemy

I took some pictures of Shadow today . . . Unfortunately the place is a mess, but just ignore that part. ;) (I cheated and editted out the worst of it.)

Here she is hanging out on a bookcase I'm emptying out.

Then she and Remy were hanging out on the couch, which looked so cute I had to take a picture!

. . . and then as I got ready to take a second picture, Remy whacked her on the head for no reason at all. Arrrrrgh! As you can see, she is upset and he's wearing his "what are you going to do about it?" face.

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
Awww she's rather pretty isn't she! Well no other cats in my home to pick at her, maybe just a nosey dog or two, lol.

Members online

No members online now.