Weird bump on Koda's belly

maybe532

Last night I noticed a weird bump on Koda's belly. This morning it is a bit larger and more purple. Of course this would happen on Memorial's Day weekend! Do you think she can wait until Tuesday? When I touch it I can feel more mass under the skin and it does not recede back into her belly so I don't think it is a hernia. It doesn't look red (more purple) to me so I don't think it is a bug bite.

bubbatd

That's weird !! It looks more like it contains fluid , than a fatty tumor .

maybe532

Yes, it does look fluid filled to me. It doesn't seem to bother her or hurt when I touch it. My husband thinks it is some kind of cyst and that it can wait until Tuesday (given that her symptoms do not change). He is a MD and while he doesn't know much about medical stuff for canines he does not think it qualifies as an emergency. She is going to the vet on Tuesday for a check up anyways (since we just adopted her Thursday) so hopefully it can wait until then. It is funny how things like this only happen on extended holiday weekends when all the vets are closed (this applies to human maladies as well, doesn't it?!).

It can probably wait until Tuesday. Is it possible she got pinched or something? The purple would suggest a bruise. Although since she is black, her skin is darker so any redness may show up with a bit of a purple-ish tint.

It could be a hernia, but it is a little low to be from a spay/umbilical hernia. Just keep an eye on it and if she's not in pain then I think you can wait until Tuesday to take her in.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
you know I'd probably get to the EVet...that sorta of kinda looks like an inguinal hernia..which is some portion of the bowel or intestine coming thru. It can be a serious if it strangulates.

I would really consider taking him in just to rule out a hernia...is it reducible? Meaning when you push on it...does it go "in" someplace then slowly return?

lizzybeth727

I'd agree with your husband, I was thinking it kinda looks like a cyst or something. I think it sounds like it can wait, but definately keep us posted if it changes, and let us know what the vet says!

Saintgirl

I would wait. It looks like a cyst to me. i am sure that your husband can fill you in on all of the details of a hernia, but only a strangualted hernia is an emergency. Hernia's themselves are not. You would know if your pup had a stranguated hernia, she would be in intence pain, stop eating, if intestinal- stop having bowel movements. If your pup is acting fine, eating and drinking well I would say it is not an emergency. If your husband is an MD and believes this is a cyst he's probably right!! A cyst is still a cyst on a human or a dog.

maybe532

Thanks everyone, I feel a lot better. The bump does not go back into her belly when I push it. That's the first thing we checked (I have an umbilical hernia myself). It seemed to get larger earlier today but now it has gotten smaller, I think it is draining. There is still a bump under the skin that is firm to the touch but the outer purple part is all saggy from the fluid going away. I will update everyone once I let the vet see it on Tuesday.
Again, thanks for all the reassuring words, it really helped.

maybe532

So sorry I just now posted, I've been so busy. I took Koda to the vet and he narrowed it down to a blood blister or insect bite-not very helpful! It was mostly gone by the time I took her in but other spots acted like they were forming but never fully developed. If it happens again then I will take her in for a second opinion though. He did say she was a healthy pup and that she should double her weight in the next month and again in two months. Wow, she'll be 60 pounds in two months by his calculations (she weighs 14 pounds now).

Members online