Giant/Decker Rat terrier

Any one have experience with a number of these and dont mind me picking your brain? :p

and/or know any breeders they recommend that I could email to pick their brains.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I have a 12 year old one from FireMnt kennels. I can't say enough good about them.

I will definitely get another eventually. Hannah has never been a healthy dog but she's a fluke, they tend to be pretty healthy dogs. I do worry about their knees though, they tend like most terriers to have pretty straight knees.

I have my eye on a few kennels here and there, these are two of them:

http://imageevent.com/ratpkken;jsessionid=26jgn16to1.tiger_s

http://imageevent.com/pecatonica

I have owned 2 and dealt with a few others, do you have any specific questions?

How their drives, temperament ect. are different from hunting line Rats mostly, I grew up with SRT and I like them but Deckers seem to be more of a fit. Ive talked to a few owners breeders but I want as much info as possible. Also the average size range for them.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I have a 12 year old one from FireMnt kennels. I can't say enough good about them.

I will definitely get another eventually. Hannah has never been a healthy dog but she's a fluke, they tend to be pretty healthy dogs. I do worry about their knees though, they tend like most terriers to have pretty straight knees.

I have my eye on a few kennels here and there, these are two of them:

http://imageevent.com/ratpkken;jsessionid=26jgn16to1.tiger_s

http://imageevent.com/pecatonica

I have owned 2 and dealt with a few others, do you have any specific questions?
I'm so very confused...

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Hannah lives with my mom across town, she stayed there when I moved in with 5 roommates, she hates strangers and it was too stressful for her. Does that help? :) We borrow her occasionally now and then, she's still my heart dog right along with Shamoo, but she's healthiest where she is, where it is quiet.

She's in the background here, she loves Backup. :)

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
As for drive, they tend to be very similar to other RTs. They can be a bit more aloof and I have found a more serious attribute to them. They are still as obsessively devoted to their owners. To this day Hannah doesn't light up with anyone like she does with me, which is depressing sometimes but she's healthier where she is now.

Hannah was a ball player but never obsessive. She was great in agility but extremely sticky, she hated distance. When presented with a fight she was in for the kill, Shamoo my white/black pit bull has a funky ear from Hannah mutilating it in a fight (another stellar reason it's safer they are apart). She's also gone under the water, almost drown, and continued fighting my friends corgi mix. Hannah was tested on hogs but was seen as "too careless".

Her sister, Terra, was much more level and cocky and social. I think she went on to work hogs after she was returned (the two tried to kill one another as pups).

Basically, tough little dogs, driven but not obsessive. Intensely devoted but not needy and SA suffering. Smart dogs, not hard to convince to work with you but rarely silly dogs.

Yeah that is pretty spot on to what Ive been hearing. Your girl is GORGEOUS. Looks like need to start reading more peds.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Thank you, of you don't mind Id love to be kept up to date on your search. Not many know what Deckers are let alone want one and they hold a special place in my heart.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I know there is one that kicks some serious butt on the agility field.

We had one at the daycare I worked at. Didn't generally do any serious playing with other dogs, but he liked to be there and just do his own thing. I know I have pictures of him somewhere, though of course I can't seem to find them.
He was all terrier though.

Thank you, of you don't mind Id love to be kept up to date on your search. Not many know what Deckers are let alone want one and they hold a special place in my heart.
Sure, ratties have always been special to me, Jody the one I grew up with was one serious hunting girl. Looking back I wonder if she was a % Decker. Black Tri at 18" and 28 pounds with some CRAZY prey drive the girl would go after bear if I would have let her.

I know there is one that kicks some serious butt on the agility field.

We had one at the daycare I worked at. Didn't generally do any serious playing with other dogs, but he liked to be there and just do his own thing. I know I have pictures of him somewhere, though of course I can't seem to find them.
He was all terrier though.
Yup you posted him on a thread you started the pool party one :) he is one seriously handsome dude.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Sure, ratties have always been special to me, Jody the one I grew up with was one serious hunting girl. Looking back I wonder if she was a % Decker. Black Tri at 18" and 28 pounds with some CRAZY prey drive the girl would go after bear if I would have let her.

Definitely sounds decker enough, they're pretty awesome. :)

Sometimes it amazes me how she's aged.

IMG_3613 by AdrianneIsabel, on Flickr

She moves with consistent twitches now but damned if she's not still full of fire. Her uncle lost a leg to a hog and still hunted for I think about a year before being bore and dying from internal injuries. They considered keeping him off the game but he was ridiculously depressed without it. He went out the way he was bred to go.

I just tried to find the link but I guess the website isn't up anymore. Gary Fuller with Fuller's American Bulldogs used to hunt with Hannahs stock. He's a great resource if you're looking for dedicated hunting stock.

This is the closest I have... It's one of her relatives but not the uncle.
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m79/TradingUp/Misc/5.jpg (left as a link because there is a hog catch in the photo)

Thats the intensity I like to see! And while black tri is one of my favorite colors its nice to see others. Ive only seen a handful of Deckers not be. Well I guess my breed list is up to four breeds.....lord help me lol

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Deckers is a bloodline basically. It's been given its own standard and is recognized commonly as a subset breed of rat terriers but it can be intrabred. They're bigger in height, muscle, stronger heads, and tending towards a "bigger dog" temper avoiding the "snippy little dog" temper that some of the smaller RTs can have.

My mom has Hannah (Deckers) and a standard rat terrier and though they can be subtle the differences extend beyond size alone, ime.

Members online

No members online now.