Feline vs. Canine

AbbeyRoad

So first off a little history: About a year ago my wife and I adopted a cat named Max. Max is about 10 years old and we don’t know his history on previous dog experience but we do know that all he wants in his life is to sit on our laps and purr, he is a very loving cat. But now we just got a 7week old Chocolate Lab named Abby Road.

So Abby’s first introduction to Max was nice, I sat there on the floor petting Max while playing with Abby Then Abby went over to investigate Max, and Max wanted nothing to do with her So now every time Abby gets too close to Max he bats her in the head (He’s Declawed). My question is: What should I do when Abby gets too close and Max takes a swing at her?

Thank you in advance for any input!

lizzybeth727

When Max bats at Abby, does Abby back away? Does she tend to leave Max alone for a little while after this happens? If so, then I wouldn't do anything, just let Abby learn to leave Max alone. I would supervise them all the time they're together, at least until Abby gets older and bolder, but besides that I'd let them work it out together.

AbbeyRoad

Thanks For the input Lizz!

Whenever Max bats at her she runs away... Most of the time. Lately though she's been getting a little Bolder and jumping around in front of Max. I usualy leave them alone. Sometimes Max stands in the doorway where Abby wants to go(He always did that though before we got Abby) that's the only time i intervene. Rite now Abby's 9 weeks old so we are always supervising her :p

Rite now Abby's only 13lband Max is about 27lb (MONSTER CAT) That poor cat doesn't know what he's picking on is soon enough going to be 2 maby 3 times his size :)

Criosphynx

Honestly you need to baby gate off a "cat side" of the house and let the cat get used to the dog at its own pace.

The cat can hop the gate and the puppy can't so this way the cat can interact with the dog on its own terms.

A cat tree would help also.

I usually praise/treat the new dog for ignoring the cat when it walks by.

Some cats want to know the new dog right away. Some may hide for a week or so before they decide too. Main thing is not to rush it.

AbbeyRoad

Honestly you need to baby gate off a "cat side" of the house and let the cat get used to the dog at its own pace.
Thayt's what we've been doing, rite now we have our livingroom "fenced off" for puppy territory and the rest of the house for cat territory. Only problem is that Max is a sucker for attention and comes and tries to sit on my lap while i play with Abby. A cat tree is a good idea, all of the ones in our local pet stores would probably tip over when our wrecking ball called Max jumps up on it. I'm thinking of finding a local carpender or attempt to make it myself. Either way they will work out who's "Alpha" :D

Thanks for the advice Criosphynx!

Criosphynx

Thayt's what we've been doing, rite now we have our livingroom "fenced off" for puppy territory and the rest of the house for cat territory. Only problem is that Max is a sucker for attention and comes and tries to sit on my lap while i play with Abby. A cat tree is a good idea, all of the ones in our local pet stores would probably tip over when our wrecking ball called Max jumps up on it. I'm thinking of finding a local carpender or attempt to make it myself. Either way they will work out who's "Alpha" :D

Thanks for the advice Criosphynx!
Your welcome!

Your kitty gets what he gets then!! :D

walmart sells a CHEAP $40 cat tree that actually is springloaded between the floor and ceiling...so it can't be knocked over...

Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.