Swiss every week??

tony_hk

It's summer here. I plan to bring my dog to swim every week. Is it ok to do so? Should I shampoo his coat every time after swimming? Will it be too frequent to do so??

Tks

Cassiepeia

Chihuahua Mum
I think it depends on where he's swimming. If it's in a pool or the sea, I'd say yes definately give him a wash after each swim (I'd assume chlorine and salt water is bad for dog coats too), or maybe even just a quick hose down might be ok.
If you're going to a fresh water lake or river, I don't see any reason to bathe him after. :)

Oh and swimming is great for dogs. :D So taking him every week sounds wonderful. It's great exercise too.

Cass.

RD

Are you dead yet?
A brief weekly swim should be fine, my dogs swim in my pool every day. I hose them off if they've been in for a long time, but otherwise I just mist them with a conditioner spray and let them air-dry.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Lucky lucky dogs! enjoy the swims:D i agree with Rd, nothing more to add;)

milos_mommy

it depends on the dog. his skin could be bothered by the chlorine, or he could be fine. my dogs both aren't affected by it, but we have very little chlorine in our pool.

i'd rinse him off, i don't think he'd need a shampoo.

so, I don't mean to hijack your post, but, Whisper went swimming the other day, and there wasn't very much chlorine in it, but, I was wondering, should I wash her, and shampoo her? but take everyone's advice, it is good. :) I am just wondering about a baby puppy's coat. And Hershey, he is too much of a sissy to get in deep water. :lol-sign:

tony_hk

thanks for all the replies. If I take him to the sea every weekend, should I shower it with shampoo? If yes, would it be harmful to him?

Cassiepeia

Chihuahua Mum
LOL Never mind the typo, we all do that sometimes. ;)

I'd probably go for just washing him off with fresh water first and then seeing how the coat goes and if there is any irritation (from the salt or sand), then I'd switch to shampooing after each swim.
No need to rush into lots of shampooing if a good rinse in fresh water will do. :)

Cass.

Members online

No members online now.