how to find a petsitter?

tinksmama

Ok, I posted here last week, and part of my poor pup problems were brought on by my not finding a proper place where she felt comfortable being left. So I've decided that the only way to do this is to have someone come to the house, walk and feed dogs. I guess that would be a petsitter.
How do I find someone I trust to come into my home? I want to start planning for when I'm going to need this- How much is usually charged, and what questions can I ask to be reassured?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Check out the NAAPS website: www.petsitters.org

or

Petsitters International www.petsit.com

Make sure they get a detailed list of the dogs normal routine and habits at the very least. I always get vet information, potential allergies/medications, some likes/dislikes and any special names the dog might respond to. Feeling comfortable with the petsitter (who should come by at least once for a meet n' greet before starting the job) is a huge must. Listen to their answers and see how they 'feel' to you.

Most petsitters charge something along the lines of $15 or $16 dollars per 30 minute visit, and usually have an additional charge for multiple pets. I've had to start including a gas fee for people who live over three miles from my house because of gas prices and the fact that all my jobs so far have been 3x a day visits; the mileage adds up quick.

Good luck!

Lizmo

Water Junkie
If you have neighbors that you know and are at home all day you could ask them or if you know of a reasponsble dog loving teen that could come that would be a good idea.

tinksmama

We're in central Ct, I think my first choice would be a neighbor...but how much should i expect to pay? I let them out 4 or more times a day right now, pup is 5 months, so she can't hold it all day- I think out first at around 8 am- then by noon latest,around or 5 and then 9 or 10 at night would be necessary- this all sounds impossible to me-

Jynx

I am in CT, not in central tho, and I also do petsitting. The going rate around here is 12-15$ per visit. However, don't be surprised if it's higher with the price of gas going thru the roof.

That price tho includes me staying there for anywhere from 30 minutes to almost an hour(exercise, walk, play etc). IF you can find a neighbor close by, one that you trust, that would be willing to come over for "potty" breaks, which may only take 15- 20 minutes of their time, a few times a day, maybe you can cut down the cost a little.

If you trust your vet, you may also want to ask them if they have any referrals for you. 90% of my business came from vet referrals when I first got started. I have never had to advertise.

Diane

Members online

No members online now.