The Official "What are you reading" Thread

K

Kaydee

That's what I'm finding. I'll check out his stuff next. If you've never read Benjamin Franklin's autobiography you should check it out. It's hilarious! I totally didn't expect that when I started it.
Oy, ol Ben was a rowdy one, definitely a free thinker. Some reading I enjoyed that was suprisingly interesting was the poetry confrontation between Aphra Behn and John Wilmont, Earl of Rochester. It was a course titled Bawdy Literature of the 14th Century. Behn was the more creative writer, Rochester was jealous so he turned into more of a shock jock for his time.

may I also direct you to Mental Floss Magazine, they publish books too...zillions of deliciously fun facts

milos_mommy

Romy you're a woman after my own heart.

I just picked up Gravity's Rainbow (Pynchon), Invitation to a Beheading (Nabakov, one of my favorites) and...one more book I can't recall at the library. I dunno if I'll actually read them, though.

Working on The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky, which is awesome but a tad slow at some parts, and Pinocchio (for school).

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Me: UGH I HAVE NOTHING TO READ!!

*pile of unread books on my shelf*: ....

Me: DON'T GIVE ME THAT LOOK!!

yoko

Well I feel dumb because I'm reading the x files series XD

The used book store just had their fifty cent any paperback sale and I got all of them lol

spiffy

I'm halfway through Robert Ludlum's The Ares Decision. Good reading! Can't put the book down.;)

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Okay so I'm almost done with Mockingjay. Now I need a new book/series to get into. Any suggestions? I really want a teen/young adult romance type of story. I am about to read the Twilight series again but it's gonna be my 20-somethingth time reading the series (no joke) and I can basically recite it in my sleep. I still love it but I want something similar but new. I wish Stephanie Meyer would finish Midnight sun so my life can be complete.

I am re-reading the Xanth series again for the third or fourth time, lol on my kindle, the iPad I am reading the Myth series again, oh and one of the sookie stackhouse books as well.

I read the twilight books once, we won't get into that...

The hunger games were great books, my son and I are waiting for the next movie!

StillandSilent

Currently A Feast For Crows. Then I have to buy the last one, and then I might have to cry for a while because of no more books. Tragedy all around.

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
I am re-reading the Xanth series again for the third or fourth time, lol on my kindle, the iPad I am reading the Myth series again, oh and one of the sookie stackhouse books as well.

I read the twilight books once, we won't get into that...

The hunger games were great books, my son and I are waiting for the next movie!
Yeah, I couldn't get into the first book after certain things Edward did that made me go HECK NO! It just wasn't my cup of tea, but then again most romance books aren't.

Anyways, currently I'm reading Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchet. Awesome. The Crowley in the book even reminds me of the Crowley in Supernatural, WIN!

Rereading Jennifer L Armentrouts series right now.....not sure if they were mentioned here before. They are YA which often annoy me, but these I really like.

The Lux series....I almost didnt read it as it is paranormal....but aliens. I thought I couldnt get into alien romance? lol....but its good.

But I like her Covenant series even better....the next book is due out in April and its one of those I am having much angst waiting on.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Today I went to the library on a whim, since my sister was going. Thought 'maybe I will get just one'. Wandered to pets section. I now have:

At Merle's Door: Lessons from a free-thinking dog by Ted Kerasote
Pack of Two by Caroline Knapp
How Dogs Think by Stanley Coren
How To Speak Dog by Stanely Coren
Rin Tin Tin: The Life and the Legend by Susan Orlean
The Puppy Diaries: Raising a Dog Named Scout by Jill Abramson (admittedly, I got this because I heard it was bad...)
Dog Sense by John Bradshaw

I normally read books outside of dog stuff, but it was a quick run in. So I came out with pretty much everything they had that wasn't Cesar Millan or a 'about the breed' book lol.

Airn

Today I went to the library on a whim, since my sister was going. Thought 'maybe I will get just one'. Wandered to pets section. I now have:

At Merle's Door: Lessons from a free-thinking dog by Ted Kerasote
Pack of Two by Caroline Knapp
How Dogs Think by Stanley Coren
How To Speak Dog by Stanely Coren
Rin Tin Tin: The Life and the Legend by Susan Orlean
The Puppy Diaries: Raising a Dog Named Scout by Jill Abramson (admittedly, I got this because I heard it was bad...)
Dog Sense by John Bradshaw

I normally read books outside of dog stuff, but it was a quick run in. So I came out with pretty much everything they had that wasn't Cesar Millan or a 'about the breed' book lol.
I really enjoyed Merle's Door. It had a LOT of interesting studies. I learned a lot and it was a sweet story. (Although he does get a bit too detailed on some things, IMO. I'm not a nature freak so I could do without a lot of his scenery descriptions.)

I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Just picked up every dog story book I could. Some were great (Merle) and others I didn't care for. One about a fat lab beagle. Beau, I think. I wanted to get some more actual dog books and less story but I was worried they would be too dry and over my head. Good luck with the ones you got, though!

Yeah, I couldn't get into the first book after certain things Edward did that made me go HECK NO! It just wasn't my cup of tea, but then again most romance books aren't.

Anyways, currently I'm reading Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchet. Awesome. The Crowley in the book even reminds me of the Crowley in Supernatural, WIN!
Yes, and yes!

My biggest thing was that they marketed those books to young girls, the way Bella acted was not ok imagery for young girls, IMO.

And good omens is fantastic! And I totally agree, is envisioned Crowley from supernatural the whole freaking book!

His American Gods book is really good too!

Members online

No members online now.