20 week abortions...

darkchild16

We are Home.
Its up to the mother and her doctor pure and simple. No one else has the right to impose their beliefs on another. Its not what you believe fine but just because its what you believe doesnt mean you have the right to govern that in EVERY womans case. If anyone told me what to do with my baby they would no longer be my friend but thats just me. IMO if you cant support your friends/family in their time of need whether you believe in it or not then you arent a true friend. My friends have done some pretty ****ed up things but I still stood by when they needed me the most whether I agreed with it or not. Suggesting a alternative is something totally different to me. Suggest it once and if it isnt taken you support the road they took and help in any way you can as long as it is not criminal. Abortion should NOT be criminal either.

Lyzelle

Sweet Zombie Jesus. I put adoption as an option not an absolute. I can completely understand if a woman cant carry to term for health reasons.

My older brother was a zero growth advocate for many years. I flat asked him what he would do if he knocked up his GF at the time. His response, "We are Liberals, she will have an abortion". That zero population growth advocate made me an Uncle last year.

Adoption would be easier and cheaper, if abortion was harder and more expensive.

Personally the human race sickens me more every day and the zombie apocalypse cant come soon enough.
I wasn't arguing against adoption or attacking you, so I promise you can calm down. I was explaining why for many, it wouldn't be an option, or why it isn't a widely used option. Not to mention not every raped 15 year old girl wants to go through pregnancy and birth, only to give the child away and start a "real" family with "wanted kids" when she's good and ready at 25-30.

I was just pointing out that adoption can be a risky, super specific case-by-case thing, that's all.

And considering the overpopulation of humans we already have, I don't see how adoption would be made any easier if we truly stretched the country to the limits of how many unsupported children to feed and care for. That makes about as much sense as, "If we keep BYBing dogs, everyone would adopt more because we'd be dropping them all off at shelters!" I don't get it at all.

And abortion, for those who truly want it, will always be there. It's been around since the beginning of time, and it will continue to be here for a long time after it's banned. Where there is a will, there is a way. Law doesn't stop abortion, it just starts hacksaw back alleys.

I wasn't arguing against adoption or attacking you, so I promise you can calm down. I was explaining why for many, it wouldn't be an option, or why it isn't a widely used option. Not to mention not every raped 15 year old girl wants to go through pregnancy and birth, only to give the child away and start a "real" family with "wanted kids" when she's good and ready at 25-30.

I was just pointing out that adoption can be a risky, super specific case-by-case thing, that's all.

And considering the overpopulation of humans we already have, I don't see how adoption would be made any easier if we truly stretched the country to the limits of how many unsupported children to feed and care for. That makes about as much sense as, "If we keep BYBing dogs, everyone would adopt more because we'd be dropping them all off at shelters!" I don't get it at all.

And abortion, for those who truly want it, will always be there. It's been around since the beginning of time, and it will continue to be here for a long time after it's banned. Where there is a will, there is a way. Law doesn't stop abortion, it just starts hacksaw back alleys.
With this topic I can remain more then calm. I cant wait for the zombies to over run us, we are so close already. We will be even closer if Obama is re elected. Make adoption cheaper and abortion more expensive and your point is moot. If a 15 year old is raped and became pregnant there should be a second death if there is an abortion. I have no humanity when it comes to pedophiles, rapists, or predators in general.

We should have been over populated the year after my birth in 1975. We have so much production and room over population is a liberal scare tactic. Its so much BS my zero population growth brother made me an uncle.

Back alley abortions? At least here in the USA, is alive and well. Making abortion legal didnt end that atrocity.

~Tucker&Me~

Make adoption cheaper and abortion more expensive and your point is moot.
How is it moot? Your point didn't make sense, please elaborate.

We should have been over populated the year after my birth in 1975. We have so much production and room over population is a liberal scare tactic.
No, it's not.

Back alley abortions? At least here in the USA, is alive and well. Making abortion legal didnt end that atrocity.
No it didn't, but some of the back-alleyers were now provided with proper medical care and given the support they need as opposed to risking death, infection, infertility and all the other negative consequences that can come with back alley abortions.

Danefied

I'm also pro-choice. The baby's choice to live :)
Does that mean you believe in right to die? You know, Dr. Kevorkian stuff?

And guys, I believe Blue is being deliberately ridiculous - arguments punctuated by welcoming the impending zombie apocalypse are not meant to be taken seriously ;)

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
As far as "baby's choice" I highly doubt the soul of an innocent child wants to be born in anything less than ideal conditions where it will be loved, nurtured, and wanted. I'm not of the belief that just because the baby wasn't born, that it died. The body, the physical mass, yes. But not the soul. That lives on until it is truly born.

But does that mean I'm going to force that belief on other people? No, of course not.

Pro-Choice rarely ever means Pro-Abortion. Like I said before, and many others here have also said, it simply means the ability for the woman to make a choice regarding her body. And sometimes, that choice is far better than the alternative. Pro-Choice is most certainly Pro-Life in it's own way. I know very few pro-choice people who would want a child born into less than ideal circumstances, or instances where the child will not be loved or wanted.

But, really, at the end of the day, it's not a single person's business except the woman, her significant other, and her doctor. Period.
And what, pray tell, are ideal circumstances? Who decides that? Marital status of mom, income, etc? If "ideal circumstances" were a requirement to be born there are many if us who would not be here......

I kinda understand the reasons someone can be "pro-choice" (of abortion) if he/she thinks an unborn fetus is just a mass of cells & not really a human... then of course, he/she has no problems with abortion... (When life really begins is another can of worms I don't want to re-open!)
But you HAVE to open that can of worms. Really most of the debate about the rightness or wrongness of having abortion on the table as a choice always seems to boil down to some combination of: 1. Is that fetus (or mass of cells if you will) a person, 2. When does that fetus become a person, 3. If and when that fetus is a person, whose rights get more weight in a decision about abortion?

It HAS to be part of the discussion because that's what the decision rests on. Unfortunately those are questions that I don't think there will ever be any kind of consensus on because they come down to beliefs and strong emotions, often religious beliefs. And as long as there is a lack of consensus on the very definitions of what you're trying to legislate, you HAVE to err on the side of keeping the government out of it IMO, because "I know it when I see it" might be fine for art but it's no way to make laws.

For me this is what the crux of the whole abortion debate comes down to - not how *I* feel about fetuses, but how on earth do we make a law about something that we can't as a society even agree on the definition of? When you've got people who truly believe it is just a mass of cells and people who truly believe it is a full person with rights equal to a grown adult and people who believe everything in between... and it's not like 99.99% of people believe one thing and there's that one guy who believes something else... there is basically NO majority belief or general consensus. So it doesn't make any sense to start flinging laws around.

I'm pro-choice, too - when the choices are to say what you want (freedom of speech), choose what faith/religion you believe in (freedom of religions), or a millions other things...
I thought, by your own argument, that if someone REALLY believed in something, they wouldn't be ok with other people making different choices? Because honestly, the major religions are all pretty clear that "ours is the one true god" and prescribe witnessing as a responsibility.

Now - I realize this was a tricky example to use and I'm not trying to pick on anyone's religion... it isn't meant to turn the discussion to religion in general, I'm just using your own example my own example of how we all make decisions about right or wrong in context every day. Generally I think murder is wrong, but I think murder in self defense is justified. My religious beliefs are right for me, but not for everyone. Little white lies. A million tiny decisions like this every day. So honestly I don't see how your "but if you REALLY believe abortion is wrong for you, then you can't be pro-choice for anyone else" argument can hold up when you yourself are contradicting it in your own words.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Just for clarity's sake, I interpret "pro abortion" as actively promoting abortion as the best solution to unwanted pregnancy. As "pro-choice" I don't believe that any of the options are "better" than the rest but rather that it, again, is a choice that must be made by the individual based on their needs, beliefs, and current circumstance.

Just for clarity's sake, I interpret "pro abortion" as actively promoting abortion as the best solution to unwanted pregnancy. As "pro-choice" I don't believe that any of the options are "better" than the rest but rather that it, again, is a choice that must be made by the individual based on their needs, beliefs, and current circumstance.
I do as well. Because if we're going to split hairs, then people who oppose abortion but support the death penalty don't get to use "pro-life", either. At the end of the day using the term "pro-abortion" is just a deflective tactic IMO.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I think everyone knows how I feel about this.

We didn't know it at the time but it turns out at 11 weeks hannah was already developing "habits" in the womb. My 11 week ultrasound she had her right hand up by her face. Next ultrasound... same deal. when she was born, anytime she was swaddled she had to get that right hand up and out to put it by her face. whens he was in the NICU they had to move her IV out of her hand because she insisted on having that hand up by her face instead of taped down to a stiff board. No matter how much tape they used they could NOT keep that hand in place. she was persistant lol.

She may not have been able to survive out of the womb yet at 11 weeks but she was most certainly her own person by then and not just a mass of cells.

medical nessecity, OK. 20 week abortions just because... No I can't support that. especially when we have the technology where 23 week preemies actually stand a pretty decent chance at survival. We had a wee little guy next to us in the NICU that was a 23 weeker. cutest teeniest little guy you've ever seen with SO much black hair. he looked like a little spider monkey. adorable. he left the hospital before his actual due date. Now he's a healthy, normal, rambunctious boy lol.

As long as it's legal... do whatever you want but I won't be able to stand in support of it just because "it's your choice". sometimes peoples choices SUCK lol

In the case of the OP story, it just didnt' make any sense. The baby was not going to survive... period. so there shouldn't have been a question about whether to deliver or not. the questionnaire should be "what percentage chance does the baby have of surviving to term? 90% or less... they should have the right to terminate" I don't even know that they were really asking for an abortion, they asked for labor to be induced and let nature take it's course. that's not even what abortion is.

NicoleLJ

PSD Partner
I am now pro choice. I used to follow my ex religions belief which was abortion is murder. But after leaving that cult I have since changed my mind. I still believe that life starts at the heart beat but that is me personally. And for me to have an abortion there would have to be some serious risks to my health with no alternative BUT I do believe in a womans right to choose. WHY? Because of the life I was brought into. I was hated from the minute my mother found out she was pregnant. I would rather a mother abort a pregnancy then being a child into a life where they will be hated to that extreme. Not all women should be mothers. Just my take on it.

M&M's Mommy

Owned by 3 mutts
Every life is precious, but I find more and more it comes down to the babies are worth more than their mothers,which is dumb.
The unborn babies' lives aren't worth any more than their mothers', but since they do not have the voice of their own yet, we pro-lifers must advocate for them. Once again, as strict as the Catholic church when it comes to their stand against abortion, they do NOT oppose to treating the mothers, when her life is in danger, as long as treating the mother's life is the main and only purpose. Ending the baby's life must not be seen as the very first option.. but the unfortunate outcome when other measures are employed.

As well, I find that extremely religious people and people who have trouble having children even though they want them are far more concerned about what other people are doing with their bodies and their choices.
Imho, the religious opposes abortion because they believe God created life and we are created in God’s image. He, and He alone, decides when life will be created and when life will end. Many in today’s society feel that they get to decide and so they murder or they assist in suicide, while we believe in the sacred dignity of a human life, from the moment of conception to the moment of natural death. In this light, we not only oppose abortion, but also assited suicide, capitol purnishment, etc..

As for those who have troubles having children.. perhaps it's because they know first hand how precious of a gift a baby truly is. I guess, a vague comparison is anyone of us Chazers would be more passionate about saving a stranger dog's life than an average non-dog person - because to us, a dog is not "just a dog", but it's a companion, a family member, and its life is invaluable, etc.. In the same light, people who are having trouble conceiving or those who undergo treatments after treatments to no or little avails would understandably get upset/utterly sad when someone else's having what they crave for easily, yet choose to dispose of it.

I remember a couple years ago, when we were still trying to get pregnant, I was crying my heart out for weeks when I saw on the local news that they found a newborn baby in a dumpster behind our apartment complex. I cried for that baby as if it was my own... and couldn't help but wonder why the mother did not consider giving the baby up for adoption. I would take it in a heartbeat.

But you HAVE to open that can of worms. Really most of the debate about the rightness or wrongness of having abortion on the table as a choice always seems to boil down to some combination of: 1. Is that fetus (or mass of cells if you will) a person, 2. When does that fetus become a person, 3. If and when that fetus is a person, whose rights get more weight in a decision about abortion?

For me this is what the crux of the whole abortion debate comes down to - not how *I* feel about fetuses, but how on earth do we make a law about something that we can't as a society even agree on the definition of? When you've got people who truly believe it is just a mass of cells and people who truly believe it is a full person with rights equal to a grown adult and people who believe everything in between... and it's not like 99.99% of people believe one thing and there's that one guy who believes something else... there is basically NO majority belief or general consensus. So it doesn't make any sense to start flinging laws around.
There are lots and lots of scientific studies that support the belief that life truly begins at conception... But, I'll leave it for you to google and decide for your own. All I know is that at 6 weeks gestational age, my baby (the one I'm carrying right now) has a heart beating that can be detected by ultrasound. There is no ways to argue that baby is not a baby when he/she already has a beating heart, a brain that is forming.. even when (at 6wks) he/she is only a size of a pea!

I thought, by your own argument, that if someone REALLY believed in something, they wouldn't be ok with other people making different choices? Because honestly, the major religions are all pretty clear that "ours is the one true god" and prescribe witnessing as a responsibility..
Aren't we all like that, religious or not?? As a society, we believe in the dignity of life, therefore we wouldn't & shouldn't be ok with rapists, murderers & their likes. They are those who decided to make "choices", one that are considered not acceptable by society standards, right?. I would imagine every abiding citizens would have problems with those who don't, not just me, no?.

And yes, every Christians are called to be a witness to what we believe, and not even that, to evangelize and spread the Good news... but, how one carries out that mission is an entire different subject. Granted that we have those religious lunatics that gives religions very bad names & actually turn people away from God. Thanks goodness we also have millions of faithful laborers on the field that help bring people to God on a daily basis based on their witness of Love. You can't really blame religion for what individual believer does!

Generally I think murder is wrong, but I think murder in self defense is justified.
I think every religions, heck, anyone with the right mind for what matters, believe that!

My religious beliefs are right for me, but not for everyone. Little white lies. A million tiny decisions like this every day. So honestly I don't see how your "but if you REALLY believe abortion is wrong for you, then you can't be pro-choice for anyone else" argument can hold up when you yourself are contradicting it in your own words.
I don't think I'm contradicting. All I'm saying is, IF you (a general you) personally think abortion is wrong, then you should be consistent in your opinion & stand firm on the side of protecting precious lives, not swaying with one foot in & one foot out like, "it's wrong for me", but "right for you" so you go ahead!" So, because I think abortion is wrong (period), I would NOT be pro-choice, when the choice in question is to abort the baby. Someone said that choices could mean "to abort the baby or not", I don't see how the "or not" supports the arguement, as all pro-lifers would be thrilled to stand behind this "choice"!!

Last edited:
There are lots and lots of scientific studies that support the belief that life truly begins at conception... But, I'll leave it for you to google and decide for your own.
If you read my post more carefully... I'm not talking about being alive, I'm talking about being a "person", legally speaking, who is afforded legal rights and protections. Which is something that no scientific study can support or refute.

All I know is that at 6 weeks gestational age, my baby (the one I'm carrying right now) has a heart beating that can be detected by ultrasound. There is no ways to argue that baby is not a baby when he/she already has a beating heart, a brain that is forming.. even when (at 6wks) he/she is only a size of a pea!
Should being a person with full legal rights and protections be legally defined as having a beating heart and brain? Because there are a whole lot of creatures with beating hearts and brains who deserve legal personhood by those criteria.

I don't think I'm contradicting. All I'm saying is, IF you (a general you) personally think abortion is wrong, then you should be consistent in your opinion & stand firm on the side of protecting precious lives, not swaying with one foot in & one foot out like, "it's wrong for me", but "right for you" so you go ahead!"
I disagree. *shrug* Because as I tried to give examples of, lots of people have one foot in and one foot out on a whole host of topics. Lots of things that are wrong for me are right for other people. If I believe abortion is wrong because I believe a fetus is a person, why should my opinion determine the actions of someone who believes a fetus isn't a person until it's born, or one who believes that an adult's legal rights trump a fetus' legal rights when there is no objective way to determine which one of those beliefs are "correct"? It's not "one foot in, one foot out" to acknowledge that this is a complicated issue that is governed more by emotion and belief than fact and science.

Oooooooo the abortion debate -_- lol well...
Firstly if I was an American women (and abortion was banned) I would be pissed off that the government could kill murderers and yet I could have no control over the tiny life in my womb?I don't agree with the death penalty,I don't see how killing someone else somehow justifies the first death the logic in that just goes over my head.Yes if someone raped my 10 year old sister I would want to do horrible things to them,but the law isn't there for revenge it is there for justice.
Sorry,that's of topic I'm pro choice/confused.I went to a strong catholic school so my independent thoughts blend in with some of the religious propaganda I would have been fed at school.I have always known I could not have an abortion,maybe that's because I've only ever slept with someone who I know would step up and support me if that happened,and I've grown up as a big sister so I'm very confident that I could look after a baby,yes it would be tough,yes it would **** my life up but hey that's why you wear a condom...that's why you don't sleep around....sex makes babies!
Ok,that's what I want to shout at the people who get abortions like their the next step in contraception.Mostly I feel that its not abortion we should be discussing,abortion is sadly sometimes the answer but it wouldn't do any harm to look at WHY they happen and too work on that.Educate young people about sex,educate them to respect themselves,educate them about their options.
I am pro choice because I am a very emotional person who makes decisions from my heart,I cant detach myself from that to make a rational decision.I am pro choice because I don't believe abortion is black and white.
I have three friends who have had abortions.
My first friend has had a tough life,at 15 her father killed her mother in a brutal murder.She then discovered that her father had been responsible for the sexual assault and killing of other family members.She is an amazing person,she has awful memories of her child hood yet she is a very hard working and optimistic person.She has psychological problems and goes to therapy,you can imagine for someone who's life has been like that they could turn to drugs,ruin their life,give up.But she doesn't.However TWO years in a row around the time of her mothers anniversary she got pregnant,she then had an abortion.She could not have handled a child,she is only learning now how to look after herself.I spoke to her,I made sure she knew she had a choice,and whatever choice she made I would support her.What gives the government the right to tell my friend "No,you're having that baby,I don't care how you feel".
My other two friends made mistakes,condoms broke and they were pregnant,both with people who would make less then ideal parents.They both had abortions and found it very hard to do,but they did them.Did I support them?Yes,they are my friends,they made mistakes.Do I support what they did?Hard to say,I personally believe you shouldn't sleep with someone if ultimately you can't handle having their babies.I know that's a big thing to say,but in this society now sex is deemed such a casual thing and SO detached from the BABY side of it.However I am pro choice,I believed my friends had the right to make that decision.They have both learned from it,and I believe would never let that happen again.
So that's my point of view.I don't really throw it around,I would never tell people what to do with their bodies,yes a part of me wished with lived in a world where it was SO "ok" but I also wished we lived in a world where murder,killings,rape etc happened....

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Im sure what Im about to say has already been said, but I'm on my phone and its a PITA to read through threads..

That being said there is definitely a difference between pro-choice and pro-abortian. Im pro-choice, its your body, it's your choice, that being said I dont personally agree with abortians being used as birth control or late term abortians unless medically necesary. However, I do beleive that as a woman I do have the right to say what I will or will not do with my own body.

Its hard to beleive that in this country where women were once treated as second class citizens that we can do sooo much back peddling when its comes to womens rights..

M&M's Mommy

Owned by 3 mutts
Should being a person with full legal rights and protections be legally defined as having a beating heart and brain? Because there are a whole lot of creatures with beating hearts and brains who deserve legal personhood by those criteria.
Um.. we're talking about a developing baby inside of a human being's womb.. so of course, we're talking about personhood of that baby - not just any "creatures" with beating heart & brain!! I think, most people argue for abortion saying that a developing baby is not a baby until much later (some even say until it's born!).. I just point out that at early as 6 weeks, the baby has every defining features of a human being: A human's heart, human's genetic markings/DNA, a developing human's brain, etc. therefore, it's a living human being!

If you read my post more carefully... I'm not talking about being alive, I'm talking about being a "person", legally speaking, who is afforded legal rights and protections. Which is something that no scientific study can support or refute.
If a "a person" is defined as an individual of specified character, a human being as distinguished from an animal or a thing, a composite of characteristics that make up an individual personality... then I think a developing fetus is qualified!!

Last edited:
Um.. we're talking about a developing baby inside of a human being's womb.. so of course, we're talking about personhood of that baby - not just any "creatures" with beating heart & brain!! I think, most people argue for abortion saying that a developing baby is not a baby until much later (some even say until it's born!).. I just point out that at early as 6 weeks, the baby has every deinifing features of a human being: A human's heart, human's genetic markings/DNA, a developing human's brain, etc. therefore, it's a human being!
Well, yes, that's my whole point. Not everyone thinks it is a "baby" at conception... or at x weeks... or at y weeks... or until born. So why do we base legislation on the matter on your opinion instead of someone else's?

M&M's Mommy

Owned by 3 mutts
Well, yes, that's my whole point. Not everyone thinks it is a "baby" at conception... or at x weeks... or at y weeks... or until born. So why do we base legislation on the matter on your opinion instead of someone else's?
That's why abortion will forever be a battle between the two sides: pro-lifers who thinks the baby's life should be respected & protected, & pro-abortioners who don't share the same view, because according to them, the baby is not yet ... a baby thus its life has no value and doesn't deserve the protection.

Any person who is against abortion should & have every rights to defend their position just as much as someone who is for abortion. That's why pro-life voters will seek to vote for those who share in their view and hope to ban abortion, just exactly the same way pro-abortion voters will vote for those who represent their view and hope to allow it.

Last edited:

Miakoda

Just commenting on that letter in the op, I have never in my life heard of an OB just shrugging off a woman who's water broke, is developing an intrauterine infection, and seuffering from a drastic decrease in amniotic fluid.

My health was failing when Cole was born, but it was because of my preeclampsia/eclampsia AND the fact, that my amniotic fluid went from 11 to under 5 in just 24 hours, that Cole was delivered 2 months early.

I think trying to relate this situation to a pro-choice/pro-abortion stance is weak at best.

Obviously there is a lot more to this woman's story than is told in her letter.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Just commenting on that letter in the op, I have never in my life heard of an OB just shrugging off a woman who's water broke, is developing an intrauterine infection, and seuffering from a drastic decrease in amniotic fluid.

My health was failing when Cole was born, but it was because of my preeclampsia/eclampsia AND the fact, that my amniotic fluid went from 11 to under 5 in just 24 hours, that Cole was delivered 2 months early.

I think trying to relate this situation to a pro-choice/pro-abortion stance is weak at best.

Obviously there is a lot more to this woman's story than is told in her letter.
This :)

Members online

No members online now.