When are you planning on adding another dog?

Michiyo-Fir

Not to mention, if you could afford to move out good luck finding a place that allows a large dog or multiple small dogs or (hahaha!!) multiple large dogs, and is close enough to school.

Coincidentally, I've just been searching craigslist and places that could maybe possibly work that are $1000 or under are slim pickings.
Exactly this. It's pissing me off so much. So few places have rent that's averaging $1000 a month for a tiny studio apartment!!!! Vancouver's housing price is just stupidly ridiculous considering minimum wage is only $9/hr.

Even if I worked full time at minimum wage, I only make $1440 a month. If I spent $1000 on just rent, I won't have enough money to get food/pay insurance for the car/gas, etc. Not even mentioning I go to school and it costs me $8000 a year...

Seriously I feel like I'll be stuck here for eternity.....

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Exactly this. It's pissing me off so much. So few places have rent that's averaging $1000 a month for a tiny studio apartment!!!! Vancouver's housing price is just stupidly ridiculous considering minimum wage is only $9/hr.

Even if I worked full time at minimum wage, I only make $1440 a month. If I spent $1000 on just rent, I won't have enough money to get food/pay insurance for the car/gas, etc. Not even mentioning I go to school and it costs me $8000 a year...

Come to Alberta? :p

Be sure to bring Nia!

Taqroy

Realistically, not until Murphy goes. Which he never will as we've discussed him living forever because I need him here. :p

I have puppy fever like whoa right now but it would be horribly unfair to add another until my current dogs have decided to accept life with each other. And we have a ways to go before I feel confident that has happened and that we're be stable enough to add another dog (3rd or 4th).

I'm not really sure when we would add another dog. Being in the army, it's hard to tell when/where we will be at any given time, and also finding a place to rent. We had a difficult time trying to find a place to accept large dogs (well, at least somewhere that wasn't under 10lbs or 5lbs). Not to mention, hubby & I both love pit bulls, but Army housing has pit bull bans. That was one of the reasons we opted to live off-post because even though his paper work would be labeled boxer mix, I don't want someone accusing me of him being a pit bull, and then be forced to get rid of him or move. I'm not even 100% certain he has pitty in him, but a lot of people think he is just because his ears are cropped.

We would probably get a GSD & actually just talked about that the other night. We both agreed we would want to add a shepherd as our next dog. The exciting part for me though, is hubby has never had a puppy. He's had 2 other dogs in his life which were both adults. But he's never experienced raising a pup... I LOVE puppies which is one reason why I liked fostering for the rescue that I did (they were primarily puppy & kitten but took in older dogs) cause I was able to get my fill puppy breath while helping them find a forever home.

I think when the time is right we will know. Lugar's only 5 1/2 so he's still (I hope) got a lot of years left in him and he is still very much a puppy. It will be exciting when that time comes though. There was one dog at the animal control in my home town that we would have gotten in a heart beat. His face and build looked EXACTLY like Lugar except he was white with brindle patches on his face (cropped ears that looked just like him too), but they do home inspections for all pit bull adoptions so adopting out of state would not be an option. He was so pretty :( Hubby even said he wanted him.

Shelteez

3 dogs is my limit. Chloe is 11, Josie is 3 and Casey is 7. After all three of them passes i am taking a break before i add in another dog. Life with dogs can be tricky sometimes when you want to travel and not having to worry about the dogs when they are boarded or trusting the person who is caring for your dogs is taking care of them. I am really picky who watches my dogs, so it'd be nice to relax with no worries about anything :).

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
My plan as of now is follows:

- 2014ish get a puppy of a different/mediumish herding breed (not 100% settled at the moment and probably won't be until the time comes)
- When Summer passes, get another papillon

I think my comfortable number is 2 paps and a something else.

mrose_s

BusterLove
*watches Quinn doing laps flat out around the backyard with a 3ft stick in her mouth like she's been doing for the last 20 minutes (this is after the 6km run and swim I took her on 2 hours ago)*

Probably 3 - 5 years in all honesty. There is heaps of work I want to do with Quinn and heaps I want to learn from her and we have... ahem... a long way to go.

M

MyHorseMyRules

Not for a while. Tempie and Boone are a little too close together in age for my liking. Ideally, my working dogs were supposed to be spread out a little. By the time Tempie retired, I would already have another certified and working, and then I could have a younger pup in training. But Boone isn't much younger than Tempie, so they would probably (unless tragedy strikes) end up retiring pretty close together. Getting him for free from the breeder that supplies all our SAR 'houlas was just WAY too good a deal to pass up. And I don't think I want more than three dogs because I'm not sure I could financially support a fourth. And since I have Raja... Well, we'll see how things go. There are years yet before Tempie has to retire. And by then, maybe I WILL be able to take on a fourth.

thehoundgirl

I would love another dog (hopefully an APBT), but probably not until after Buster passes which hopefully isn't for a long, long time. Even then I wouldn't go out and get a new dog when he's gone, so I really don't know. I'm not one of those people that goes and gets a dog after mine passes.

It takes me a long time to grieve and my other dogs need me too. Heck we didn't get Dixie until a year after Rocky passed 3 years ago. So, for right now probably not for a long, long time. I enjoy and really love the dogs I have right now, I don't need to go out and get another to make me happy. :)

Paige

Let it be
Before getting pregnant it would've been at the end of this year. Now it's looking like it will be 3 years from now.

Hopefully by the fall of this year, although it may be more like early next year depending on how long it takes me to become financially stable after I graduate/when the breeder I'm looking at has a litter on the ground. I'll probably do some foster work in the meantime after I've graduated.

M

mutts

I only have one dog and I couldnt imagine having more then one. Dogs are a handful!! I will get one when this one passes away but hopefully that wont be for another 15 years or more!

stafinois

Professional Nerd
When Grant goes, we will be a one dog family for a long while, if not for good. So, hopefully not for at least a decade.

~Tucker&Me~

I totally feel your and Xandra's pain! I am dying to move out (I love my parents but I don't want to piggyback on them forever) but its so freaking expensive here :( Not to mention I am a student so I owe ~$8000 a year. It all seems so far away because of the money aspect :(

Saeleofu

Probably a few more years at the earliest. And even when the time comes, it will be HARD deciding what dog to add. I want a Trav puppy, I want a puppy from Logan's sister, I want a dobe...

I'm maxed out at the moment. Two big dogs is plenty in the situation I'm in.

While I desperately want to get my collie now I am holding off until Radar is at least two, the last thing I want is two puppies at a time. I want him to be more mature and better trained before I toss another pup into the mix. I also want things to be a little more stable job wise before adding another one.

Doberluv

Not until one or both of mine pass and maybe not even then, depending on how I feel at that time. I am currently very content with the two I have and don't want another at this time.

Locke

Once I'm in my own place (preferably with a fenced backyard), and working full-time predictable hours with no school to worry about, I'll add an adult or puppy standard schnauzer to the household. Sooo..hopefully around May next year!!

Members online

No members online now.