Chloe's hair is falling out!!

Hi everyone,

I have noticed for about the past three weeks that Chloe has been losing alot of hair. At first, I thought that she was just shedding, because it started with her undercoat, and then her top coat started to fall out. She has also been really itchy lately, but there are no signs of redness or irritation. I gave her a bath last night, and a whole bunch of her hair fell out!!! When I was drying and brushing her, I noticed that her hair is a significant amount shorter and thinner. She usually has ALOT of hair. Now I'm concerned!! I think I will call the vet today.

Any ideas?

Dena

Debi

YIKES!! I've spent alot of time today reading GreatDanelady's website...especially about allergies and diet. Do you give your dog Nzyme (sp?) I'm curious about it because it is supposed to help with soooo many problems...excessive shedding/hair falling out/skin irritations. I'll be interested to know what the vet says. POOR CHLOE!!!

There could be a variety of reasons ranging from parasite to allergy to nutritional and loads of things in between that could be causing Chloe's hair loss. I agree that the best recommendation would be a visit to the vet for a diagnosis.

Please keep us posted!

I've heard women who have had babies say that they lost hair several weeks and even months after delivery. I think it has something to do with all the hormonal readjustments - at least that's what would make the most physiological sense. Perhaps Chloe is going through the same type of thing?

Nutrition would be a good place to start after your visit to the vet. Just don't let him put her on any steriods!

joce

We had to give our corgi some flaxseed oil. SHe was just losing it around her butt. The vet said its good for them all anyway so we've been giving them a teaspoon full periodically.

Blondie

I think a vet could tell you exactly what it is, because it can be caused by so many things, hormonal changes, yearly shedding, or something like parasites or any other illness. Is she eating well?

You know...I was wondering if it might be a hormonal thing after the puppies. I did have her at the vet a couple of weeks ago to have her shots and a check up, and I did ask the vet about her hair loss and itching on her bottom area. She usually has alot of fluff back there. The vet sadi that she looked fine to her. I will try some of the flaxseed oil. I'm also going to take her to the vet just to be safe. I don't want them to give her prednisone though.

Where can I get flazseed oil?

Thanks,
Dena

joce

It's flaxseed. It's actually something that pregnent women are supposed to take so maybe it will help the dog in more way than one! My mom picked it up for me at a health food store that she goes too but I'm sure you can get it at a grocery store too.
I wish my corgi would hurry and lose some hair right now! Everything she sits on is looking like a big furball. I wish I could take a vacum to her :)

I know what you mean...Chloe has been shedding like crazy!!! We had some company for dinner the other night, and they were all dressed up in black. When they got up off the couch the back of their clothes were totally covered in hair...LOL It was sooooooooo embarrassing!! thank goodness they are animal lovers!!!

bogolove

Yes, go to a vet b/c my mom's dog had that happen and her problem turned out to be a very low thyroid problem in which she now has to be on medicine. It could be any number of reasons for your dog.

If she has recently had puppies I have heard quite a few times that many times they will start to lose their coats afterwards. In fact I read quite a few postings somewhere else that the breeders have pre-pup pictures available of the mother so that when people come to see the pups they can see how good the mother's coat usually looks and not think that her current condition is normal and what the potential buyers are going to be getting with their puppies. Perhaps if you just give your vet a call he can confirm whether or not this might be the case with Chloe.

Saje

Island dweller
Yes, call your vet. Hair loss is, usually, a hormonal thing whether from pregnancy or another cause. It's best to be sure.

candy722

What kind of breed is it? I know that Chihuahua tend to shed alot more than other doggies.

Debi

I'm betting it's a hormonal problem, too. Just throwing this out there...but I have actually run the hose of my little shop vac over my dogs. They like it..and loose hair is GONE in a blink. I know for women, such hair loss is normal. Wonder if there isn't a supplement vitamin she could be taking? Will be checking back to see what is recommended.

Members online