Feathered Crew..

crazedACD

Figured I'd grab some pics of the feathered kids today. Pronto was pretty adamant about not wanting to be out too much so there's only a few of him.

Pronto

Chevelle the crazy caique...she's molting (her and the tiels..joy) so pardon her scraggelyness.

Do you remember the babies I was handfeeding? Well Special Ed here never left! Eddie...he's the best little parrot..highly recommend this species to anyone.

More coming

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Hmm yes he is! We call them canary winged parakeets though :). He's a little developmentally off though, a "runt"?
Our two girls (sisters) are a pair of white wing/canary wing (the different names confuse me) parakeets. They are fun, but I have found them to be more tempermental than our Quaker. If they get too close to the Quaker they will actually gang up on him.

Are all your birds clipped or do they have full use of their wings?

crazedACD

Aww..see I've had the opposite experience with Quakers! I haven't met too many I've gotten along with.

All of my birds are flighted, well Chevelle isn't clipped but doesn't fly. Ed was very lightly clipped while I was hand feeding and bringing him back and forth to work, but I won't clip him again.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Our Quaker was clipped pretty short when we got him. We got him in October, and his wings were clipped so short that when they were folded you could see the cut feather shafts sticking out in places. Poor guy falls like a stone.

Your caique is beautiful! Was your starling a wild rehab, or was he actually captive bred?

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
They're all so gorgeous! And I have to say, Pronto has to be the prettiest starling I've ever seen.

crazedACD

Our Quaker was clipped pretty short when we got him. We got him in October, and his wings were clipped so short that when they were folded you could see the cut feather shafts sticking out in places. Poor guy falls like a stone.

Your caique is beautiful! Was your starling a wild rehab, or was he actually captive bred?
Aww..yeah my store clips them down pretty far, which I don't necessarily agree with, but is understandable given how the store is set up. We'd never catch them in the store if they flew up and away. Before I decided to get her, Chevelle was clipped short and yeah she really dropped. It's taken a LONG time for her to grow back out, and she still doesn't actively fly. The cockatiels only take maybe 6 weeks to go from clipped to flying.

I used to clip because when the cockatiels were out, if they could fly, they would bang into stuff and walls. But given the chance, they can now control themselves so much better and are better off, I think. There's no chance for them to escape though. I feel better leaving them flighted because if god forbid they got out when I wasn't there, they would at least have a chance to get away from Skye.

Pronto was a rehab, I hand fed him from ~12 days. :) He's great, but I do things on his terms or he gets very stressed. He eats freeze dried raw patties, haha.

He's a Starling.

Members online