foster dog in labour

apmnally

i remember reading that when a dogs labour starts the contractions can be seen in the back the foster dog who is pregnant muscles in here back apear to be sort of rippling/tightening in her back it is 7 pm now and i have had suspicions she was in labour as she has been panting since 3pm this afternoon i have contacted the vet and he said if she is in labour everything sounded like it was progressing normally the only thing that made us think she might not be in labour is she ate breakfast and lunch and had a nibble at her food just earlier she has also had a large amount of milk produced within the last 2 hours

she has some of the signs of labour and if it is that she is in labour than i do not wanna go to bed
do some dogs continue to eat even when in labour

i have the vet on call but he told me just to see how she goes there is no discharge or unusual discomfort

apmnally

P.S the only time she would have her tempreture taken was at the vets and it took myself and three nurses to hold her down while it was being done i tried to do it at home but every time i tried she would jump up once it was inserted and i would either nearly loose the thermometer or she would try and sit and then i was worried it would break so it was decided mostly by her that it wasnt a good idea for me to do it alone at home

apmnally

so far 11 healthy squealing puppies she whelped the 11th 5 mins ago and is now just taking a small break we dont know if there are more in there cause hse was suposed to have the xray yesterday but after she started showing signs of labour we decided it would be best to wait until we knew all was ok she is still panting but not showing any signs of distress so far she hasnt needed my help at all yet she has done all the work i dont think i have ever been so tired in my life9and niether poor mumma probably) after this is all over and had her vet check im gonna sleep like a baby
her belly is still bulging and still heavy panting so i dont think its over yet

bubbatd

Wow !!! Congrats ( I think )....you'll sure have your hands full for a foster !! I'd have a vet check soon if she keeps it up but doesn't produce. Keep us posted !

apmnally

she had 2 more puppies making the total 13 she had completely finished by 9:30 this morning and i took her to the vets at 11:00 we just got back and she and her puppies are doing great her calcium level are on perfect there are no puppies still inside her ofcourse she is exhausted and so am i but other than that they are all great they range from brown with black markings there are black with white markings and one funny coloured one that is kinda brown grey and black all mixed togeather most are short haired coats but there are four with longer wavy coats so im racking my brain as to what the father/s could have been there are 7 males and 6 girls the smallest girl weighs 356 grams and the largest girl weighs 415 grams and all the other girls are in between that and the smallest male is 383 grams and the largest male who was the first out and so fat is 476 grams the first cam breach which took her a bit to get out but after that it didnt take her much pushing to get the rest out she would taker small breaks in between a few puppies and than start again she did all the cleaning and everything else i was purely a very tired spectator this obviously wasnt her first litter going off the size and she was kinda an old pro at it now i just have to work out a good foolproof system to know that every puppy has had a feed they have all had fed so far but mum and pups just want to sleep now i thought about marking each puppy in some way or another but the only way i think i could do that would be with a texta but i dont want the smell to put her off the pups
so if anyone else has been in this same position before i would love to know what you did i have puppy formula if needed but she seems very content doing it herself i will post some pics as soon as i have the energy to go buy some film and have them developed
now while mumma and pups a resting i think ill get a couple of hours shut eye before its time to sort out feedings again thanxs for everyones advice and support

I used to paint a few back nails with nail polish.If you have that many different colors.Its safe and stays on for a few days.Congrats.The shelter will have some work finding all those puppies homes.

apmnally

just got up to sort out feeds the breeding that we know of in her so the breeds that are documented on her microchipping info from when she was a pup are Australian red cattle and bearded collie and as for ther father/s we dont know she is 7 years old so she isnt a spring chicken but she is lovely i would like to see if the shelter would allow me to apply to keep her once the puppies are old enough to go to the shelter except their general policy on foster carers is that they cant keep the dogs im still going to ask though as we have struck a bond up over the last 2 weeks and she is very trusting of me now where as when she first came to the shelter she would bite and growl and snap at everyone so she has shown a massive improvement over the last couple of weeks

ive worked out a schedule and system with the pups i have gotten different coloured bits of thick plastic and have put it around each pups back leg and have each puppies colour written on a chart its kinda like a hospital band mumma doesnt mind it and its working for this feed so ill keep it up as long as it works if it doesnt work ill try the nail polish unfortunetly it means ill be up every couple of hours for about an hour but i called the shelter where i worked to let them know how many puppies she had and they have given me 8 weeks payed leave so once the puppies are 8 weeks they will go to the shelter spend 2 weeks in quarantine there and then be allowed up for adoption so it wont matter if im missing sleep ill just nap when mum does

apmnally

mumma dog is doing great and so are bubs she couldnt handle feeding them all and the vet advised against it incase she developed mastitis so we picked the strongest and healthiest 5 out of the litter and they are now being bottle fed none have died and it looks good they are all gaining the right amount of weight i wouldve posted pics but the only place i have been is the vets because i am just to tired to go anywhere else and mumma and bubs cant be left for more than 1/2 hour

as soon as mum and pups can be a little more independent i will post some pics thanxs to everyone who helped me thru this and i know mumma dog is thanking you to

Barb04

Super Moderator
Congrats! I'm so happy to hear mumma dog and bubs are doing so well. Wow, 13 little ones. They must be so cute! I hope you'll be able to get some rest during the day.

Members online

No members online now.