The Honest Kitchen

JacksonsMom

May be a stupid question, but uh, how do you feed it?

I really really like the idea of it, and the company behind THK, but I remember I got a sample over a year ago and tried to give it to Jackson and he looked at me like I was nuts. It was just like... parsley looking and smelling. Kind of soupy-ish. Just weird? So I never looked into it again.

But just was looking at their site and really loving it - wouldn't mind feeding it a few nights a week for something different.

Did I do it wrong, do you think? Anyone else feed it? Dogs like it? Feedback?

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
That's pretty much what it looks like, lol. Some dogs will eat it and for others it just isn't palatable. Frodo will eat all of the flavors except the Thrive, but he prefers raw, kibble, or canned.

JacksonsMom

Lol, okay. Well then I guess I did it right and it'd probably be a waste of $$$ because Jackson won't touch stuff like that. Although I can't remember which formula we tried.

Just saw this photo:

And yup, that's what it looked like, and he wouldn't touch it.

Dekka

Just try me..
If you tried the fish.. even my JRTs aren't fans (and they eat EVERYTHING) the non fish grain free one was a hit. Even Bounce, who is the opposite and hates everything liked it.

IF you want a dry raw this isn't dehydrated by freeze dried http://www.k9natural.com/
My dogs all say its like crack. Dekka is on it and everyone else wants it.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Stella and Chewy's also makes a freeze dried that most dogs go nuts over!

And Zeal (the whitefish THK that Dekka is talking about) is AWESOME, but be prepared to pay an arm and a leg. The big box (which is believe is ten pounds?) sells for like $120 o_O

Dekka

Just try me..
mine wasn't that expensive.. it was one of the ones with a name like Thrive, or Zeal. They all hated it.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
My dogs think it's delicious but, um, they are perhaps not the pickiest of eaters shall we say. Though Kim is a bit particular and would rather starve than eat a raw fish...

It's $$$$$$ to feed though if you have many/big dogs so mine haven't had it as a meal very often.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
mine wasn't that expensive.. it was one of the ones with a name like Thrive, or Zeal. They all hated it.
Then you got it for a good price. Straight from THK it is already $108. That is their most expensive formula.

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say in the second part of the post, lol. All of their formulas have one name names.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
My dogs think it's delicious but, um, they are perhaps not the pickiest of eaters shall we say. Though Kim is a bit particular and would rather starve than eat a raw fish...

It's $$$$$$ to feed though if you have many/big dogs so mine haven't had it as a meal very often.
The ONLY food Frodo has EVER turned down was THK Thrive, lol. So I even tell people with non-picky dogs that their pet might not like it. Frodo does prefer it in the powdered, non-hydrated form though. Don't ask me how I know >.<

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Gotta love different dog preferences - mine eat Thrive and Keen regularly and never hesitate!

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
My dogs love embark. It's really easy - just add water and make it a consistency that looks like guacamole.

I also think I'll be using it or NRG next time I decide to do puppy rearing again.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Mine all love it. I can get it pretty cheap through a distributor. I couldn't afford 108 for ten pounds. I think the most expensive was 60ish. I can't get all the flavors they have available though.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
My dogs HATED THK... and it gave them all soft poo. We brought it with us on our trip last year because we figured it would be easier to tote around than raw. We mixed it up to the same consistancy of the photo you posted. Rory literally gagged it down when he ate it and just had this horrible look on his face.

I like the idea of THK. lol. Just not the actual product.

katielou

Slave to the Aussie
I loved the idea. And it was fun like a science experiment.

I thought it would be great to give to our friend who watches Abe sometimes instead of a bag of raw food but he hated it (I also had a bad experience with the company trying to return it)

He does however like addiction dehydrated raw.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Gotta love different dog preferences - mine eat Thrive and Keen regularly and never hesitate!
Frodo will eat all the varieties except Thrive.

I am considering buying a bag of preference to mix with Frodo's raw rabbit just to make it last longer. Raw rabbit is so freaking expensive!!! Unfortunately he gives me no choice.

I love The Honest Kitchen - the ingredients, the company, their philosophies, everything. I recommend it all the time at work. However, I've tried three or four varieties with Jack, and he refuses to eat any of them. :(

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
If I fed this to Juno.... She'd think she died and gone to heaven... Lol.
But that's too pricey for my tastes.

JacksonsMom

I love The Honest Kitchen - the ingredients, the company, their philosophies, everything. I recommend it all the time at work.
This.

But don't think I'm going to ever be able to feed it. I just don't see Jackson ever touching it and it'd be a big waste.

Oh well. We're happy with our Acana (and he gets Weruva wet food too, for a while now). Just thought it'd be cool to have something different. I wish THK would make another line.

Dekka

Just try me..
This.

But don't think I'm going to ever be able to feed it. I just don't see Jackson ever touching it and it'd be a big waste.

Oh well. We're happy with our Acana (and he gets Weruva wet food too, for a while now). Just thought it'd be cool to have something different. I wish THK would make another line.
You could try a sample of the K9 stuff I posted. I liked its ingreds even more than HK. They even have a freeze dried tripe... its not a stand alone food but if you are looking for an occasional different meal that could be good.

Members online