Dog swallowed some of his rope toy. Please help.

Unshifted

It is a toy like this. I NEVER leave him alone with it because he is a big chewer, but I got distracted this time :( I noticed that he ate some of the strings on the end of it. I can't really explain how much he ate...it's difficult to explain. Do you think he's going to be alright? What should I look for? Has this ever happened to your dog?

I'm very nervous.

F

FluffyZooCrew

I'd watch for loss of appetite, vomiting, lethargy, and general change in overall attitude and normal behavior. If you notice any of these signs, he needs to see a vet immediately.

If this were me, I would take him to a vet first thing in the morning reguardless. I have had a dog swallow an object it wasn't supposed to (foam that it tore off from somewhere) and I didn't wait for signs to show up. I took him to a vet immediately and had x-rays done to make sure it wasn't causing a blockage.

The thing with those rope toys is that they can be dangerous if ingested and the string can wrap around and cause some serious internal problems. I'd take him to a vet just to be safe, if you are sure that he ingested some of the string.

bubbatd

Chances are all's ok but I know you'll feel better vetting . You would died at what my Goldens have passed over the years !!! Luckily I only say the end results !!

Unshifted

My boyfriend works and he's the only one with a car. I'm not sure what to do =/ Would they even be able to tell this early if he has a blockage?

F

FluffyZooCrew

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they could. They'll be able to tell if the string is moving along, or if it's wrapping around things and causing a problem.

Unshifted

I am having a hard time explaining how much it was.

I took some pictures but I'm not sure it really illiterates the situation. I circled the parts that he chewed off. It should be as long as the other parts. (I used the dollar for some perspective)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
What type of dog is he? He should be ok, my dogs have done that before and just pooped them out later. But always go to the vet if it makes you feel more at ease.

sisco16

koda bear
If you would have caught it right away Hydrogen pyroxide will make them throw up but only give a small capfull. Are you sure he ingested the strings and he didnt just chew them off and there around the carpet.

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
I dunno that's a tough one. It looks like a lot for such a small dog but then again, it's just fiber and if they're individual strands they should pass regardless.

I'd say just monitor him.

Truthfully I've seen small dogs pass much more than that with no problem. I have had clients dogs poop out entire piles of just string from rope toys, barbie heads, dice, undies, and size D bras among other items. Just keep an eye on him. If he shows any signs of distress bring him into the vet.

I also had a friend who's dog at a rubber glove. It didn't pass for 3 months but never caused a problem. So again, if you know your dog and how they normally act, if he is acting any different I would bring him to the vet.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
I seriously would not worry. Just keep an eye on him. Those fibres are just cotton and will more then likely be disolved or just passed.
Ben ate some of my mothers sewing cotton a few days ago and I only found out when he did some serious poop sausages. LOL! They were all attached to the string and I had to pull it out.

Members online