Help I need some girlie ideas

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
I am so not a girlie girl type of woman , but through some genetic misfortune one of the girls IS! Ginnie , has asked for diamonds and pearls and feathers and sparkle and anything pink frilly and fluffy , Jewelry , shoes , clothes , for christmas . Torie wants Rocker Girls stuff.

I am at a wits end on what to do for them.

I am looking into making them crowns and capes to be princesses , but the rest , should i go get old prom dresses from good will and turn them into gowns? The disney princess dresses would fit ginnie but torie they would not. besides i dont really want to feed the disney beast. ow and the shoes , i was thinking of getting some slippers and rhinestoning them out.
the jewlery is easy enough and I am going to get it together so we can make them together.

what about makeup? what is kid safe? i dont wear it and dont want them to , but she is determined for pink lips , are colored glosses ok for kids?

and there hair , they have decided they NEED hair bows , i dont do hair bows and was wondering where is the cheapest to get them from , i have seen them go for a couple bucks a piece and have balked at the price as that would be 8 bucks (two barretees per braided pig tail) a day i could loose each girls. ( they loose there pony tails holders all the time) . At 100 a week I can not afford that , they look super simple though , does anyone have a place to buy ribbon and things from?

basically , i am looking for ideas on what to get/make for dresses to play in , is colored lip gloss safe or are there better alternatives , and where is the best place to get ribbon and hair things from?

Doberluv

I am so not a girlie girl type of woman , but through some genetic misfortune one of the girls IS! Ginnie , has asked for diamonds and pearls and feathers and sparkle and anything pink frilly and fluffy , Jewelry , shoes , clothes , for christmas . Torie wants Rocker Girls stuff.

I am at a wits end on what to do for them.

I am looking into making them crowns and capes to be princesses , but the rest , should i go get old prom dresses from good will and turn them into gowns? The disney princess dresses would fit ginnie but torie they would not. besides i dont really want to feed the disney beast. ow and the shoes , i was thinking of getting some slippers and rhinestoning them out.
the jewlery is easy enough and I am going to get it together so we can make them together.

what about makeup? what is kid safe? i dont wear it and dont want them to , but she is determined for pink lips , are colored glosses ok for kids?

and there hair , they have decided they NEED hair bows , i dont do hair bows and was wondering where is the cheapest to get them from , i have seen them go for a couple bucks a piece and have balked at the price as that would be 8 bucks (two barretees per braided pig tail) a day i could loose each girls. ( they loose there pony tails holders all the time) . At 100 a week I can not afford that , they look super simple though , does anyone have a place to buy ribbon and things from?

basically , i am looking for ideas on what to get/make for dresses to play in , is colored lip gloss safe or are there better alternatives , and where is the best place to get ribbon and hair things from?
Why is it a misfortune? They're girls.

You might try thrift stores besides the Good Will. Sometimes some of those consignment shop type thrift stores have some unusual and cute things. Ribbons, you might be able to get at a fabric store and just cut the length you need. I think they sell the mechanisms for barrettes at craft stores. I don't know if they're inexpensive or not though.

I'm not sure about what make up is unsafe. I just use any kind and don't worry about it. Maybe that hypoallergenic stuff is better than some. Or Physicians Formula brand. (?)

Making jewelry together sounds like a fun idea. I bet that can be done inexpensively.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
It was a little joke is all , and it would just have been easier if she where more tom boyey , because I know what boys like. lol cars and dump trucks and army men and the like. This raising little girls take work. Boys are easy at this age (well for me). Torie is tom boyish and likes to get dirty and play like a boy , Ginnie wants to play tea and freaks out of there is a smudge on her. She is just not what i am used to . all the other kids play styles are a like.

Doberluv

:D LOL. Well, my girly girl also played in the dirt, climbed trees with her brother and looked for frogs. But she sure did like to dress up and put polish on her nail and perfume on. She liked her dolls, art stuff, books, puzzles,music.

I had one of each. Now, when Emily is older, I find her easier to buy presents for than my boy. Clothes, kitchen appliances, make up, perfume, things for skiing, pretty much anything makes her day. I don't have much imagination for my boy's gifts...clothes is pretty much it and money. lol. They always like to have some spending money.

Well, good luck. I bet she'll have fun with most anything. Doing crafts might be a hit, especially if it's jewelry.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Liking makeup and pretty things doesn't preclude a girl from liking cars and Star Wars and comic books and other "boy things."

Lip gloss should be fine, there are several brands out there now that make stuff just for kids. Lipsmackers was the brand when I was a kid, they're still around but there's more. Wal-Mart has a whole line, I don't know what it's called though.

I agree with Doberluv about checking the thrift store, I believe sparks has found lots of dress-up stuff for Hannah at the thrift store? She could probably chime in more. Also if you have a Michaels or Hobby Lobby, they frequently have 50% off ribbon so you could buy a spool and make your own bows that way for fairly cheap. I bet Pinterest has some stuff on how to easily make hair bows...

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
CLAIRES! It's one of the girliest stores ever, targeted at the elementary to tween age group. They have sparkly shoes, colorful jewelry, feather boas, face glitter, etc.

When I was in elementary/middle school, I used to LOVE the Bonne Bell (sp?) lipglosses. They come in a chapstick tube, and are colorful, flavored, and some have glitter and just a little bit of tint. You should be able to find them at Walmart or Target.

You can find rolls of ribbon at Joann Fabric, Michaels, or even Walmart. You can make the bows yourself, and then hot glue gun them to plain barrettes (you can find these at any craft store). I always see rolls of ribbon at craft stores in a bin for under $1 a roll. You can make more barrette ribbons than your girls need in a lifetime for under $10.

http://www.southernplate.com/2009/09/how-to-make-hair-bows-video-step-by-step.html

I've always been a girly-girl when it comes to clothes and accessories. I LOVED climbing trees, playing video games, NINJA TURTLES!, most of my friends were boys, etc.

milos_mommy

It's very cheap and very easy to make hair bows from ribbon and barrettes. You can get a bulk package of barrettes with nothing on them, and hot glue the bows you make out of ribbon on there. You can do all different things like make lots of curlies or long tail or add rhinestones to the middle, too.

Lip gloss should be fine for kids, they even have some marketed more towards younger girls. Personally I'd steer clear of other makeup, too many germs involved in eye makeup and what else would a kid wear? Body glitter or any glittery body lotion is a lot of fun for kids and I always used to wear it.

Other things that might be fun for her would be nail decals or if she's big enough or you can do it, the nail art pens. They're more money than I'm willing to spend on my nail stuff, but for a christmas gift for a kid I don't think they cost too much. I also liked those rhinestone temporary tattoos they make for kids. This might be kind of costly, too, but what about those one-time color streaks for hair, I think it's a pen you color on your hair, or brush through or a roller or something. They're kid safe and appropriate.

If you can buy some tulle at a fabric store, you can make tutus or princess skirts for pretty cheap.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Ooh, the nail polish is another good idea but you'll have to keep it up and out of their reach unless you want nail polish everywhere! I think they make those coloured streaks that are clip-on? There's probably a pink glittery one out there.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
ok , I seemed to hit a hot topic . yes I know boys and girls can play with whatever they want . I know they do not take out there genitals and play with the toys . I know , I know . I do not shove certain toys at them because they are boy/girl.
I just seem to have had typical boys who like the typical boy marketed toys. I also have a girl who like boy marketed toys and a girl who like girl marketed toys and a boy who like girl marketed toys and boy marketed toys . Jacob will play dress up and sing at the drop of a hat.

whew that's a mouth full ,

anyway I love the Claires , I haven't darkened a mall in years and did not think of that. and polish is already something we do every Sunday night for our time. I am going to find some bow tutorials and the tulle is another great idea .

I am less panicked now thanks for the help, I was just having a freak out moment.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Also, Party City (or your local party store) should have some simple crowns for cheap. For example, this one is $6:

http://www.partycity.com/product/princess+crown.do?sortby=ourPicks&size=all&from=Search&navSet=crown

And this one is pink, sparkley, and has feathers:

http://www.partycity.com/product/pink+sparkle+tiara.do?green=0A392CE0-A34C-5A6D-082F-02B0CE56D48B

There are a TON of crowns and tiaras there.

They also have sparkley princess shoes for $8:

http://www.partycity.com/product/pr...ks&size=all&from=Search&navSet=princess+shoes

Oh yeah- you could easily make some "custom" sparkley sunglasses. Buy a cheap pair of kid's sunglasses, and glue some rhinestones/sparkles to them. Voila! Instant movie star!

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
If you can buy some tulle at a fabric store, you can make tutus or princess skirts for pretty cheap.
Great idea. I'm sure there are a million tutu/princess skirt tutorials out there, since tulle skirts have become very popular with kids.

Here's one tutorial:

http://www.thebusybudgetingmama.com/2012/07/diy-tulle-tutu-tutorial.html

I think they'd be easier than customizing prom dresses/gowns to fit your kids. You can make them with elastic waists, too, so they can last longer than the year. Kids grow so fast, and this way your girls could get more wear out of them.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
Ow thank Jess I did not think of party city . i can get the discount there also through my sons friend.

I was thinking of using the dresses material and do real simply a line dress.
i just want to use the fabric , if i can find some.

If they want to play with some makeup, mineral make up is pretty safe and not really that expensive. I will let my daughter play with some of my older samples and leftovers.

It can be hard when you have a child who is into things that are mostly foreign to you:) Actually, Lilah got me into some things I was never into before, so thats been fun. She LOVES watching youtube videos on hair styles for example and from watching those, I now have gotten into doing my own in more than just a pony.

With nail polish, yes, all the nail art that is available now is so much fun. My daughters favorite is water marbling. It takes some time (and parental guidance for younger children) but its results are so much fun. Also using just scotch tape to mask off areas is a simple way to get some designs, or a tiny paint brush, or a bobby pin head to make dots, etc.

My daughter is also into making friendship bracelets. Again, youtube is your friend! There are kits out there as well for it. I used to make them when I was a child but had never really learned much beyond a couple basics. There are so many cool patterns out there...and yes, I, a 32 year old sometimes make and wear them too lol

I mostly made these but the kids helped a bit and were involved. My son (who was 4 almost 5) could easily make the simple single knot ones and my daughter could do candy stripe (she is 6). She probably couldve advanced beyond that but she got out of it...maybe we should look back into some more.

my son

Both of my children also have fun with learning to embroider and knit....not as glittery and pink lol, but may be something fun?

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
ow Green , I love those , I used to have an arm full. I bet they would love it and the older boys would to.

I am off to stalk youtube!

ow and dollar tree is already ion the list!

darkchild16

We are Home.
We go through this with Bev for EVERYTHING. I was NEVER into make up or anything like that and she is. (I STILL dont know how to put on makeup) Thankfully grandma does like that stuff LMAO.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
We go through this with Bev for EVERYTHING. I was NEVER into make up or anything like that and she is. (I STILL dont know how to put on makeup) Thankfully grandma does like that stuff LMAO.
haha my sister is like that , but she lives 8 hours away. i tell you these girls are like little me and her. scray!

boneyjean

Stinky Butt
How about some chapstick that has a hint of color? My daughter LOVES for me to paint her nails so I buy the tiny really cheap polish in colors I let her pick, and recently got one with sparkles too. She loves tutu's a lot. As much as she LOVES disney princesses, she never dresses up like one. She usually has on some sort of a costume but 99% of the time it is a tutu over her clothes along with accessories. Go to the party favor isle and get her some tiarra's and necklaces and braceletes and rings. Accessories are a favorite for us. And a little purse if you can find it, and a wand. I also often pick up headbands that have flair on them because it is easy enough for her to put on and off without me constantly fixing her hair.

boneyjean

Stinky Butt
Oh an of course every little girl needs at least one pair of hooker shoes....ooppps, did I just say that! lol Seriously, we refer to her dress up shoes as that, but she loves them and they do no harm so we let her wear them in the house!

Members online