Colorado- up in flames

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
I love my state. It is beautiful here, the air is clean (normally) and the scenery is beautiful... but now we have been engulfed by flames. Last I counted, there were a total of 10 wildfires burning across Colorado, the most horrifying is the Waldo Canyon Fire in Colorado Springs. 20,000 homes are in immediate danger. Thousands of people have been evacuated. Many have already lost their homes. The weather has been around 97 degrees, some days up into the triple digits. No rain is in the forecast.

Please send all good thoughts to the people who are losing all their possessions in this fire, and even though I am not religious at all, please pray for our state...

United States Air Force Academy- totally evacuated

JessLough

Love My Mutt
That's absolutely terrifying, and I can't even begin to think about the fear that residents of Colorado must be feeling :(

Stay safe, and please, if they tell you to evacuate, do it.

Kimbers

I'm just hoping idiots don't decide they need to set off bottle rockets and the like this year. As much as I love celebrating the Fourth in style, I'd rather not set some more of the state on fire.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
The fricken High Park fire started about 15 miles away from where I live... I am currently working/living at a KOA until October when we move back to MI and we have so many evacuee's living at our park. It's super sad. I cannot believe all the fires going on! Craziness.

I have to admit, I will be relieved when I am back to a humid state where fires are rarely an issue. Everyone affected by these fires is in my prayers. It is so sad. :(

Paviche

Duuuuude.
I live in the Denver metro area, but the new Boulder one started up 5 miles away from my boyfriend's job site, and his uncle lost his house to fire in Estes Park a few nights ago :( It's just awful.

I think that one of the worst parts is that we need rain desperately, but the wind that comes with it is devastating. At work today we were so hopeful when it got super windy and dark, but we got barely more than a few drops of rain and the wind only helped to spread the flames. :(

Taqroy

32,000 people have been evac'ed from the northwest end of Colorado Springs at last count. The way the fire spread last night was absolutely terrifying - the wind picked it up and it jumped two break lines to get into those houses. We're not getting any rain and even if we were I imagine the lightning and wind that would come with it would just make everything worse. I'm heartbroken for the people having to leave their homes, I can't imagine how hard that is.

Barb04

Super Moderator
My niece and her family live in Colorado Springs. I hope the fires get under control soon. This is so sad.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
The pictures of those houses on fire just breaks my heart - I can't even imagine having to leave my home in a hurry knowing that I'd likely never see it again. :(

It's really too bad that massive pipelines take so long to build - could solve the fires *and* flooding!

Taqroy

We just watched the briefing on the news - the fire is up to 15,000 acres (it was 6,000 yesterday). They really emphasized that we're in for the long haul and that it's going to take time to get this beast under control. I hope it moves away from Springs today.

K

Kaydee

The houses, the people, the woodlands and creatures, so much to bear...thoughts and prayers go out to all affected...

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I've heard that American Humane is sending the Red Star Animal Emergency Services team to help with the animals affected by the fire. They are a good group! And not into profiting from tragedy like HSUS...

LilahRoot

This fire is surreal, and frightening. Where I live is covered in smoke. Where I used to work is just on the other side of the highway from the evacuation area and it looks like it's soon to become a pre evacuation area.

Members online

No members online now.