Do you like cilantro? Read this.

lizzybeth727

Ugh, I don't like cilantro. I can tolerate it in very small quantities. But we have a mexican restaurant nearby that has EXCELLENT chips and queso, they just overload their salsa with cilantro and it ruins the whole thing. There's another resturant that has REALLY GOOD shrimp tacos, but again, overloaded with cilantro; at least there I can order it without cilantro, but occasionally I forget and it's very sad.

I have a friend who grows cilantro, she loves it. She chopps it up and makes pesto with it, blech!

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I can take it or leave it. if we are making a dish that calls for it we will add some (but only if we have some growing in our garden... we dont' really buy it much at the store). I don't mind it in foods but I'm not real fond of the smell. To me is smells like stink bugs lol

A friend made some salsa one time and the cilantro was so overpowering and really smelled so much like stink bug that I was convinced that I had actually eaten a stink bug and almost lost my lunch lol

Doberluv

Okay....went to my aerobics class, then took my son's dog for a walk, then stopped at the store and bought cilantro. It's in a plastic bag. I've made my first baby step. c/t.:p Now, I need to think of something to do with it. I also bought a rib eye steak. Should I ruin my salad with it? Or make some pico de gallo and put it on something? Maybe a small potato with that on it. (?) Hmmm. I've gotta develop a taste for it, right? I mean...after all, look at all those health benefits. LOL. You guys who already love the stuff...that's great. You're ahead of the game.

Doberluv

Ugh, I don't like cilantro. I can tolerate it in very small quantities. But we have a mexican restaurant nearby that has EXCELLENT chips and queso, they just overload their salsa with cilantro and it ruins the whole thing. There's another resturant that has REALLY GOOD shrimp tacos, but again, overloaded with cilantro; at least there I can order it without cilantro, but occasionally I forget and it's very sad.

I have a friend who grows cilantro, she loves it. She chopps it up and makes pesto with it, blech!
I think the operative word (s) is "over load." I kind of like a hint of it....that's okay...in Mexican food or even curry dishes. But it does seem that a lot of cooks over load things with it and that might be what bugs me. (?)

Barb04

Super Moderator
It's the one herb that I don't like much at all. I can tell right away if there's even a little of it in something I'm eating. I remember years ago I did make a peso with it by substituting some of the basil with cilantro. Maybe I should try this again.

keef

Detest it and will not eat a dish if I can taste cilantro in it. Seems like it is in more and more dishes.

Doberluv

Thanks for the recipe Renee....looks ummmm...good. lol. I'm working on changing my mind about cilantro. I chopped some up with some bell pepper, tomato and a little onion and put it on my baked potato half that I had with my rib eye. I even put some of that stuff on my salad and choked it down. lol. It kind of louses up the other flavors. I mean, it's very strong. Why oh why can't it taste more like basil? LOL. I just have to keep reading those benefits over and over again.

ACooper

Hmmmmmmm, interesting! I have only ever had (and make regularly) the cooked (I oven roast until starting to brown) tomatillo version of salsa verde!

I may have to try that one Renee............is it bitter at all?

Lyzelle

I love cilantro, as with most herbs. Fresh is definitely best, and if I have excess then I dry them myself for winter use. These days, excess isn't typical. AF Base housing is pretty strict. As long as the cilantro is in moderation, just like most herbs, it's great.

Members online

No members online now.