My puppy doesn't want to go for walks? He wants to come home!

Ace&Wiser

I just got a new puppy he is now 8 weeks old. Whenever I go to take him for a walk he never wants to go. My other dog did this but it did not take as long to get him in the groove of it. As soon as we turn around to go home though, the puppy is fine and walks ahead of me perfectly. He doesn't usually where a collar on, only when we walk. I started keeping it on him now to see if it would help. Does anyone have any suggestions? Treats or special techniques?:confused:

Thank you to anyone who responds.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Good idea keeping the collar on. It may also help if you practiced leash walking around the house and yard, just to get him used to it.

But it sounds to me that your puppy isn't quite confident enough on walks. The "outside" may still seem big and scary to him. Try to teach him that new places are good things. Bring a toy or some treats with you, and take a moment every now and then to play a game or give him a little food reward. If he likes attention, arrange for him to meet some friendly people while on his walk. Basically, do whatever you can to make walks as fun for him as possible.

Good luck!

What type of puppy is it? Some dogs start out much better with a harness instead of a collar. You could try that. You could also try walking with a treat in your hand to get them to come along with you--and I second the idea of using the leash in the yard and house to get him used to it.

Members online

No members online now.