My dog barks at night

jcarm24

I just got an adult (maybe 3 yrs old) Chow Chow/Collie mix from the SPCA. She's a perfect dog in every respect, except one. I keep her in her crate at night when I go to sleep, and she barks for an hour before quieting down. I want her to get used to her crate so when I bring her to my parents house during the holidays, she'll be used to sleeping in a crate.

Now, I realize that it's only for an hour and that's not a big deal compared to the other storied I've read about in this forum. However, I would like to know if she'll eventually stop barking for this hour, once she realizes that i always come back downstairs the next morning. She doesn't mind her cage, as long as i'm down stairs with her. but as soon as i leave, she'll bark for an hour and then stop.

This is my first dog, so i don't know if this is just her getting used to her new environment, or this will be a common theme.

I'm welcoming everyone's opinion on this, of course. Thanks!

C

cindr

She will get used to it eventually. So just let her go. Did you put a toy or a chew bone in with her to keep her occupied? Go out and buy a kon ball put a load of Peanut butter in it. That would keep her busy for a while. Good luck with your new found forever bestest freind;) ;)

Carolyn

ZooMaster!!
She will get used to it eventually. So just let her go. Did you put a toy or a chew bone in with her to keep her occupied? Go out and buy a kon ball put a load of Peanut butter in it. That would keep her busy for a while. Good luck with your new found forever bestest freind;) ;)

took the words right out of my mouth cindr :)

moxiegrl

Does she bark when you are in the room w/ her? Just a suggestion maybe you could move the crate in your room? If thats not possible the kong should help :)

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
IF YOU CAN..... put her in the crate during the day or during the evening for a few minutes at a time. or put her in and wait until she quiets down (even if it takes an hour)P and then when she is quiet and calm, let her out. Give her lots of treats and praise when going into the crate. NEVER use the crate for punishment. She will get used to it. You just have to let her know that she will eventually ALWAYS be let out and she will not feel the need to cry for you. Put her in it more often than just at night when you are training her to use it. a couple of times throughout the day will help get her over it faster. Just make sure you NEVER let her out while she is barking and carrying on, you must wait until she is calm and then she will understand that if she is calm the faster she will be let out.

jcarm24

Thank you all for the help. I get her to go in the crate by using a treat, and I reward her when i close the door. She's not interested in any toys, and rarely interested in her kong. I don't know why...she's only interested in what me and my girlfriend are doing.

I would keep her crate in my room, but my girlfriend has allergies and we're trying to keep the upstairs dander-free.

Last night she only barked for 20 minutes ( a good night). We put some old shirts in there (someone else suggested this). I don't know if it was this that cut down the time. But if you all think she'll eventually stop, then i'm optomistic as well. :D

Members online

No members online now.