Containment Issues..

Rhizunis

Playful Rogue
Hullo, everyone. I'm new here - though not new if you consider the fact that I read the forums a lot. ;) - and I'd like a moment of your time to ask for help with an issue with my dog.

Rogue was a dog I'd originally picked up from the shelter because she was gorgeous and I was terrified of tornadoes. I know, that sounds odd, doesn't it? :D Now we're just scared together! :rolleyes: But she's a good watchdog and I love her dearly. My problem is this: I use a run for the periods during the day in which I cannot walk her constantly. One of our smaller dogs is usually put out with her, and they play together. We don't have a fenced in yard because we lease our property and he's asked us not to put up a fence. Rogue manages to break the lead everytime and when I call her, she ignores me completely and runs off. We've been working on that - but I wont get into that at the moment. My problem is that no matter the type of lead, how heavy or such, she manages to wear it out or break it within two weeks. It's become a major expense. I've had her almost three years now and in that time she's broken more runs then I could possibly count. I don't like to use stakes as I've seen too many dogs get too tangled, or simply pull them from the ground. But I don't know what else to do with her as we cant get a fence and I can't walk her 24/7. Any suggestions?

Debi

I can tell you that any cable you buy specifically for a dog run states on it that there is a size/weight limit. Your pup is large, and just may be too strong for it. You could try looking into a heavier cable and possibly a pully type system...but then it may not be comfortable for your dog. I used to have Addie on a run..she is only 45lbs. and was at the stated max. Needless to say, she broke it twice. Luckily, I was there (I would put her on the run while working in the yard) because it would have been awful for her to go tearing off into our woods with the cable attached........I can't even think of it. We don't use it anymore. Can you possibly purchase a pen big enough to put your pup in for a short time, yet not permanent like complete fencing? You could then take it with you if you move.

Rhizunis

Playful Rogue
Yes, I've taken the size and weight limit into consideration when I buy the cable. I've bought the heavy duty ones specifically as they tend to last a bit longer than the ones made for her weight. They are a run, with a pulley, and she seems to like them quite a bit as she can come and go freely without having the cord tangle her legs like it used to if I just tied her up - but it still allows her to lay down comfortably. I will look into the pen idea - I hadn't thought of a pen for her.. reminds me more of something I'd find for my horse LOL.

Saje

Island dweller
We used the cable-pulley system with Mikey. The only thing he broke was the clips that go on his collar. My bf put stronger ones on and it worked fine.

But I like the idea of the pen. Maverick used to tease Mikey all the time by holding things just out of his reach and making Mikey whine and wail for the stick/bone/sock that he couldn't get. Now they are both in our new backyard and it's wonderful. They wrestle all day. :D

You can get a really decent sized kennel/pen for less than $200. Much less if you'll go to a Farmers' Co-op. I see you're on the Kentucky/Tennessee border, so there should be a Co-op in your vicinity.

By the way, I'm up in the border counties around Campbell and Scott county in Tennessee and Whitley county, KY and near Middlesboro KY quite often.

stbernard

My past saint I had when I lived in a small town and had little room, I would put my saint on a chain outside when I was gone to work. He would break everything until I got a chain that is used for rock climbing. He was well over 130pds. He could not break it. He had broken many chains b4 I bought that one. I hated to put him outside on chain, but it was the only way he would get exercise and be outside to get fresh air. My backyard was small and had no room for a fence, so the chain was all I could do at the time. I later bought a portable fence-pen for him and he seemed to have less room than the chain.

Members online

No members online now.