What the heck kinda dog do I have?

New user here. Hi.

We adopted a sweet little mixed breed today and I'm kind of curious what you folks think she might "be". She looks like your average "bandana wearing frisbee dog" type of dog, but I'm not sure.

The interesting side story is this: We went to an AKC show today to watch our neighbors show their dogs (A Lab and a West Highland) in Obedience and Agility. I'd never been to a show like that before so it was cool and the people there were nice and informative, as we have ben looking to add a dog to the household for some time now. We have a 3 YO boy and 3 cats, so I wanted a medium sized "regular dog" that would mesh nicely with the family and the available land we have. (about 2 acres). I wasn't interested in a pure bred, just a nice dog.

Anyway, we get there and obviously there were tons of beautiful dogs, but naturally they were all pure breds. I noticed a lady walking by with a dog on a leash and asked what breed she was. "I wish I new. I just brought her along to find her a home." The lady was there showing her Shibas and Akitas. Turns out that a friend of hers involved in Shiba rescue had heard third hand about a "Shiba mix" at a pound, so the lady I met agreed to foster her, sight unseen. Well she ends up getting this dog and it looks NOTHING like a Shiba! Regardless, she's a sweet medium sized dog about 10 mos. old that looks (to my untrained eye) like a Rotty/Boarder Collie mix. She's BC size, but with very distinct Rotty markings. She's very even tempered, considering she came home and met 3 cats! She leashes well for an untrained dog (I used to have a trained Rott), and has learned my basic "sit, stay, shake" within a half hour. Just for kicks I walked her over to my neighbors pond to see if she liked water. I picked up a stick and threw it in and she dove right of the bank, swam out, grabbed it and brought it back! Sweet! If I was single this dog would be such the chick magnet! :D

I'm just curious if one of you more experienced dog folks have an opinion on what breed(s) my new friend might be? It doesn't really matter, but for curiosity's sake and all that.

Here's Josie the Wonderdog:

Thanks,

Kevin

P.S. the pic doesn't have any scale reference. She's about 30" long (tail not included) and probably weighs about 25-30 lbs.

bogolove

I can't really help you Kevin but she is so cute. I had the same problem with Brady. I have a post with his pic b/c i was told he was half lab and half Golden retreiver. I know there is something else because he has theses expressive ears that he can put right on top of his head - kind of like your dogs ears. She does look like she could be a mix of what you thought she was, or maybe Rottie/cattle dog since her hair is fairly short. I am not always so good at this (obviously since i have a post about this same thing). Renee may be able to help you. She is really good at this sort of thing.

RD

Are you dead yet?
I think you'll get a different answer from everybody, because everyone can 'see' different breeds in any one particular mixed breed.
Personally I see heeler/ACD instead of Border Collie, mixed possibly rottweiler due to that tail. (That's a rottie-style tail, with the bushy, curly hair)

Hmmm, the Rottie is probably a good guess, I'd think, especially with the combination of the tail, markings and ears.

I think the definitive answer to what kind of dog she is would be "Wonder Dog." :p

RD

Are you dead yet?
Actually, you know... She could very well be a rott/shiba mix. (The physics of that are unusual, but possible) Although ACD's can weigh 25lbs or so, she is looking more and more like a shiba mix to me.

LOL I could sit and guess breeds forever.. Sometimes it just has to remain a mystery.

Rip's Girl said:
Actually, you know... She could very well be a rott/shiba mix. (The physics of that are unusual, but possible) Although ACD's can weigh 25lbs or so, she is looking more and more like a shiba mix to me.

LOL I could sit and guess breeds forever.. Sometimes it just has to remain a mystery.
I'm a dolt. What's an ACD? :confused:

Well, you're in company, then. I can't figure out what it stands for either. I'm sure when someone fills us in, we'll both say, "Duh!" and feel very silly for not figuring it out.

Oh, wait! I just figured it out . . . Austrialian Cattle Dog! Duh! :D

Thanks, Google...o.k., so an ACD is the same thing as (what I've known as) a blue heeler.

Sweet.

So, simply put, Josie is your typical Australian Boarder Rottiba :D

Hah! Register THAT. :eek:

snookums

ButtGumbo said:
She looks like your average "bandana wearing frisbee dog" type of dog

If I was single this dog would be such the chick magnet! :D
LMAO!!

She definitely looks like she has some Rottie in her, but for now you can just call her the "bandanna-wearing frisbee chick magnet dog!"

She's very cute! She looks like she'll be a great companion to you and your family. :)

Update: she weighed more than I thought @ 35 lbs. She's 30" nose to bum, and about 22" at the whithers.

Members online

No members online now.