SO "rituals of annoyance"

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I know there are some things that annoy our SO's about us so, what are some things that annoy you about them?

Mine doesn't help with keeping our Apartment clean & it irritates me, I grew up with an retired army father so as you probably know everything had to be neat, he gets up after me & doesn't even make the bed :/.

Also sometimes he treats me like a little kid when I utter something he doesn't think is appropriate (which it turns out, no one else cares, he is from a different country & English is his second language so he sometimes doesn't get American humor) like today he bitched at me for saying that Paris Hilton was the heir to the Hilton franchise & I mentioned that if I was her I would just let the board of exec's run the company instead of trying to run it myself & he actually got mad lol. He said "don't say that you don't know anything about her" when actually that are commonly talked about.

What about you guys?

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Michael picks. his. nails. And chews them.

:nono:

Oh my GOD does that irritate me to no end. And he knows it too, but it is such an ingrained habit in him that he does it without realizing he's doing it. The noise irritates me, how his nails look afterward irritates me, the very motion of him doing it drives me batty.

So I bonk him on the head whenever I see him do it (or say, "Don't pick your nails"), but almost 15 years of habit is pretty hard to break. He has finally started to begin to trim them if he knows that they're going to be pick-able.

He's also really weird about food. For being as picky of an eater as he is in regards to variety, he doesn't bat an eye at eating expired food. I am the exact opposite. If it is expired it is THROWN AWAY. NOT EATEN. If it has mold in it you don't just PICK THE MOLD OUT and eat the rest.
When we first started dating he actually picked a box of TWO YEAR EXPIRED box mix out of the trash that I had thrown away. I just threw it away again. LOL He accepts the fact that I throw expired things away now, and I try to be a little bit more lenient on my DESTROY THE FOOD rampages (aka, a month or three expired passes my inspection as long as it isn't something that I would barely tolerate "fresh" LOL).

Some other quirks of his conflict with mine - like the fact that he prefers dim lights (which includes no sunlight...) and doesn't seem to understand the concept of COLD in regards to having a window or screen door open in 45* weather. Bright lights cause a glare on his TV or computer screens, and I can't read in dim light. And I'm cold even when it is warm and he has a personal furnace built into him, I think.
So we belly-ache and put on a show, but he'll open the blinds and let me close a window, or I'll sit right by the light and put a sweat shirt on. Hooray for compromise. :D

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
- He sometimes leaves his dirty dishes in the sink. Which is annoying. Just wash them! It's so much easier when the food isn't caked on!

- He is a koala cuddler. I wake up in his vice grip ALL THE TIME. Legs thrown over, arms grabbing.. it's like waking up in a boy burrito

- plastic water bottles. Oh god. He is very smart, he is one of the top medical schools in the country. BUT WOW OH WOW. I can't imagine the money he spends on bottled water. He buys what must be 50 of them a month, he leaves them everywhere... half full, then buys more.

- med student life crises. All the time.

"Hey babe, how was your day?"
"I COULD KILL SOMEONE!! I COULD ALMOST KILL SOMEONE! A PERSONS LIFE IS IN MY HANDS!! EVERY DAY! I AM GOING TO BE A SURGEON! WHAT IF I KILL SOMEONE!!"
"oh....do you want chinese for dinner or..?"

- Med student god complex.
"I AM A SURGEON! I AM BASICALLY A GIVER OF LIFE! I TAKE AND GIVE LIFE! I AM A JEDI I AM LIKE JESUS!!"

- He can be clingy.
He needs to talk everyday, he needs reassurance. I am doing my best to get out of my introverted butt and be there for him... but some days I want to kill him.

"Can I come over?"
"No. I'm studying, rain check tomorrow!"
"Are you mad at me."
"No I just want to be alone"
"WHY?"

Kilter

I think the main thing is he sleeps in. Every single weekend. Now, honestly, I wouldn't really mind if it was once in a while, even every Sunday but got up early Saturday, but it's the thing that he's like 3-4 hours later than the rest of the household. So I'm up with kids around 7-8, he's not out of bed till 10-11 every weekend. If he was thankful for it, or did it just one day on the weekend it would be one thing, but it's every weekend. He's 'tried' to get up with the kids but would send our son in to 'visit' ten times, or go fall asleep on the couch and then the kids bug me anyway.

That and he's very unaware of what is going on around him - I have gallbladder issues right now and some days I feel like throwing up, not hungry in the least, and I'll say so and he'll offer to make lunch 'in a minute' meanwhile the kids are starving, so I end up making lunch while he's sitting in the kitchen reading, then he'll say 'are you going to make grilled cheese too?' totally forgetting he was supposed to be making lunch.

He is getting better at realizing he can be an arse, so that's a good step, but it's still a step to make changes...

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
"Oh by the way, I'm going hunting this weekend." "Oh. But this is your weekend off..." "Yeah, but this is the last weekend of..." "Next time. You need to marry your gun."

CaliTerp07

This is going to sound awful, but he is constantly trying to touch me. He rubs my back, massages my shoulders, rubs his thumb over the back of my hand.

I HATE IT.

I am NOT a touchy person at all, and he knows this. I am horribly ticklish, have very sensitive skin, and am extremely sensitive to touch (especially when I'm tired). He likes massages, so he subconsciously just does it. And then I feel like a jerk saying, "Please stop massaging my shoulders, I don't really like it." I will hold hands, I will cuddle, but DO. NOT. RUB ME.

5 years of marriage, and we still haven't figured out a happy medium.

But really, I can't complain. The man wakes up early to make me lunches every day. He's a saint.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I am not touchy feely either, I also uh ... Have a lower sex drive then he does so well you can see how that will conflict sometimes. I like massages ESP foot massages, it were possible to have someone (not him lol, that's would be like totally wrong) massage my feet all day it still wouldn't be enough.

He isn't patient about anything, when he asks for something he wants it RIGHT. NOW. Or he gets pissy if he doesn't get said thing.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
"Oh by the way, I'm going hunting this weekend." "Oh. But this is your weekend off..." "Yeah, but this is the last weekend of..." "Next time. You need to marry your gun."
Ooooh, that's another thing. I am a very plan oriented person. I have a routine. I have a thought out plan. I do not change the plan unless forced to, after careful consideration. I make plans month(s) in advance in some instances. If I have my schedule set for the day, even if.it sucks, I stick to it because that is the schedule. Spontaneity is not me.

He flies by the seat of his pants all the time. I'll wake up thinking we're going to do one thing, then it changes, then it changes again. It doesn't always bother me, but it stresses me out when my routine is changed, so if it is a night we would normally be doing something together and then last minute he decides to do something else without informing me ahead of time it annoys me.

Course, that's not so much an annoying habit as it is OCD on my part and complete lack of it on his. Lol At least during holidays and special events he gives me free reign and says, "You tell me where to go and when and that's when we'll go." Lol

(Disclaimer: There are many more things I love about him than the things about him that annoy me. And the things that "annoy" me are in no way things that are horrible, or even really make me mad. He's a great guy and I'm lucky he's mine.)

LindaJD

My husband is a neat freak. I am neat, but he is freakishly neat. He gets on the kids back if they so much as leave an empty cup for like 2 minutes, he never says anything to me about it. but the minute I turn my back he washes my cup.We all know better than to leave anything in the sink, but we should at least be able to put an empty glass down in front of us for a few minutes before we get up and wash them. It was great when the kids were little, he always helped out in every aspect of their lives, but now that everyone is older, it can be a bit much. He was a dream when the kids were growing up, but now it gets on my nerves. Maybe it's me, hmmm.

He also has to say peoples names when he meets them like when the waiter/waitress comes to the table and introduces themselves, he makes a point of using their name when speaking to them the rest of the night. I know why he does it, he meets many people during work travels and it's his way of ingraining their name in his mind, but for some reason it bothers me when we are out and about.

Locke

He's a picky eater and gets really defensive when you ask him to just try it.
He can be very forgetful or think something isn't important, and not tell me when it really is important.

k9krazee

There's nothing that he does that annoys me.

He is weird. And has many, many silly things that he does and quirks that are unique to him. And many things that if I wanted to find and nitpick, I totally could. But all of those things help make him the man he is & I realized a while ago that life is too short to sweat the small stuff and to care about dirty dishes in the sink and empty ice cube trays in the freezer.

...Now ask me the same question on a couple years :p

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
There's nothing that he does that annoys me.

He is weird. And has many, many silly things that he does and quirks that are unique to him. And many things that if I wanted to find and nitpick, I totally could. But all of those things help make him the man he is & I realized a while ago that life is too short to sweat the small stuff and to care about dirty dishes in the sink and empty ice cube trays in the freezer.

...Now ask me the same question on a couple years :p
This.

Honestly, not saying absolutely nothing he does grates on me but there isn't anything he does all the time that really annoys me. I can't think of anything off the top of my head other than he picks at the skin on his thumbs and it makes it bleed. I am not so much annoyed by it and the majority of the time I don't notice him doing it but when I do I tell him STOP IT lol mostly cause blood is a no go for me lol even just a little of it. If I am annoyed by something he does it is usually a reflection of my mood and not a reflection on him

That being said I bite my nails obsessively and he NEVER calls me on it even though he should lol

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Yeah like right now I am quiet & distracted so hes always like "I don't know why you are always mad at me" ok ... He gets mad at me for talking but when I don't then I am mad at him ??? :confused:

GipsyQueen

He doesn't like food very much and is not a big eater. So when I ask what do you feel like for dinner he always says nothing you think of something. Drives me mad :rofl1:

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
He doesn't like food very much and is not a big eater. So when I ask what do you feel like for dinner he always says nothing you think of something. Drives me mad :rofl1:
LOL he sounds so much like me. For me though, I love food... I just can't make a decision to save my life.

The simplest things, nothing life changing... but I can't decide. when we were on our way to Disney we were going to grab some breakfast and Brian said "Do you want to just get fast food or do you want to stop at Cracker Barrel" and no kidding my face went completely blank and I went "uhhhhhhh" for like ten seconds until Brian finally broke me out of my stupidity cycle by laughing hysterically at me. Now granted we had been in the car since three am and we were a little punch drunk but seriously... dine in or out and it was like he'd asked me to recite all the number in Pi lol

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
He "talks" to other bad drivers when he drives. Not really cussing, just "come on, buddy, stay in your lane"...." what are you doing? Oh, you're on your cell phone... "

Other than that... Not much, really.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Nothing that really annoys me... Eg, I'm in a really bad mood today (for the first time in ages) and I'm being a horror, and I was trying to scan something really important for work, and he's "helping" and I'm being a bitch and he's grumping back. But then I just look at him and laugh and tell him he looks like a gnome and that's that.

I'm sure there's a lot of stuff he does that winds me up, but I can't say it lingers with me all day and grates on me. If it starts doing that then I'm in the wrong relationship! Or I have pmt :)

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
It's shark week and I'm feeling a little extra bitchy so here it goes lol

My SO is constantly asking me what's wrong. I could be sitting here on Chaz and if my face looks slightly aloof to him he will ask me what's wrong. Nothing is wrong dude... and trust me, if something is wrong I will make sure you know it.

He is SO obsessed with money and our account. I guess in some ways it can be a good thing but sometimes it's just annoying. Like for example. We bought something off Amazon last night that I wanted for Cricket's training. The one I was going to get was a certain price, but they had a new upgraded version that was just a little bit more. We have over $1000 sitting in the bank at any given time usually and yet he had to call the bank to check the account to make sure we could spend the additional $20 for the item. If I want to spend $30 off the card he will call first to again make sure we have it in the bank.

If I want to go somewhere he always asks why. Hey hun I'm going to the pet store down the road and take Cricket with me. response: "ok why?" ummm.... because I just want to? I don't always spend money when I go, but I like to take the dogs to get them out of the house and out and about.

He trims his nails with his pocket knife. That skeeves me out so bad.

He uses MY bath towel. We usually use the same bath towel a few times in a row before we wash them. We will each have designated towels and one time he will use his and the next time he will use mine. There have been times where I've gone to take a shower and both towels are damp so I end up having to get a new towel.

There are LOTS more things, mostly just minor irritations... but hey... I know I irritate him too. Oh and Fran, that thing with the water bottles half empty everywhere.... ya I do that unfortunately. lol.

Members online